Road Construction On Highway 264 In Washington

Work is beginning on a major highway in the east that could impact traffic for the next couple months.

Surveyors with the NC Division of Highways started the project on Highway 264 at Asbury Church Road in Washington.

Crews will work to improve the intersection.

When complete in early December, Harding Village Road, a small road that runs behind the Asbury Methodist Church, will no longer have access to 264.

• by To Shawn M. Carter on Oct 10, 2011 at 01:39 PM
    Commissioners meeting? Have you seen one of these meetings? I for one wish they were not televised. I had rather prime tobacco for a month of sundays than waste my breathe trying to discuss problems with some on that board. I do thank you for your concerns and do take care while working in Afghanistan.
  • by Shawn M. Carter Location: Afghanistan on Oct 8, 2011 at 11:04 PM
    I dont believe that closing off the Harding Rd is going to affect the intersection at Asbury Church Rd!Most Wrecks happen at the intersection at Asbury Church Rd. As far as someone cleaning up all the debris on the side of the Roads in the county, why dont you gather your debris and either burn it off or take it away to the roll off site. Instead of complaining go out and make a difference for your community. I work in Afghanistan, if all I had to do was complain about 5 guys working and the others standing around, or the debris on the side of the road. WOW!!!! That would make a huge difference considering rockets just fall magically out of the ski,or the fact that my friends get blown to pieces from IED's!!!! Thanks for your words of Wisdom. Go Vote and make a difference.
      by 2 Shawn M. Carter on Oct 9, 2011 at 07:27 PM in reply to Shawn M. Carter
      There are elderly people that have no way of taking their debris to a roll off site. Some of these people are disabled as well. I gather that you have not seen the amount of damage that we suffered during the Hurricane. I am sure that your family and friends will tell you that it was a massive blow to our county. Most of us are not complaining due to the fact that we are still alive. I am well aware of the destruction you see as well. As the previous post stated, the county hired contractors to remove the debris form the right of way. Yes it could be after Christmas before it is removed. I did vote and I did make a difference. I don't think that we had a vote on the 264 road work?
        by Shawn M. carter on Oct 9, 2011 at 08:50 PM in reply to 2 Shawn M. Carter
        I have seen pictures and TV shorts on the devastation of the County. I am sorry that everybody is going through these rough times. Go to a Commissioners meeting and voice your opinion. Thanks
  • by T Location: P on Oct 6, 2011 at 10:32 AM
    THEY SHOULD HAVE BUILT OVERPASSES AT THAT INTERSECTION AND AT DOUGLAS CROSSROADS---I THINK THIS IS GOING TO MAKE THAT INTERSECTION WORST
  • by Anonymous on Oct 5, 2011 at 09:45 PM
    Tax dollars at work, ha. How may state workers does it take to pave a small section of the road? 26, 2 working and 24 watching. I swear, I do allot of traveling and have seen allot of construction and how come is it that whenever you drive by, most of them seem to just be standing around watching a couple of people actually working. Is that what our taxes do, pay for 26 supervisors and 2 actual workers. How about all of them work and they might could knock it out in a month. Lets not for get they say it will be done in December but they never meet their deadlines and I have a feeling I know why lol.
      by Huh? on Oct 6, 2011 at 07:48 AM in reply to
      Allot? I better go get my dictionary for this one!
      by How About? on Oct 8, 2011 at 06:37 AM in reply to
      They need to clean up the storm debris on the sides of the road in the county before they start another project they can't finish. Citizens were to have the debris on the side of the road on or before the first week in Sept. for free of charge pick up. THe county hired contractors for debris removal. DOT was suppose to remove what was on the right of way. When I heard this I told people that it would be there rotting after Christmas.
  • by About time Location: Washington on Oct 5, 2011 at 09:18 PM
    It's about time they do something about that intersection. It is so dangerous and has had numerous wrecks. Maybe they'll come up the road a little further east and do something about the death trap at Douglas Crossroads. We can only hope.
      by SGF on Oct 11, 2011 at 10:16 AM in reply to About time
      Am I missing something? My home is located such that I have to pass both these intersections to go almost anywhere, work, church, stores. I admit to there being the occassional idiot risking the lives of others to save ten seconds but that certainly isn't the norm. I didn't realize these two spots were so bad. I guess I better be even more careful!
  • by DD Location: local on Oct 5, 2011 at 06:32 PM
    Glad to see our tax dollars doing something GOOD

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 131188773 - witn.com/a?a=131188773