Riley Philpot Laid To Rest

A young girl who inspired a charity to help families who have children with cancer is being laid to rest today.

The obituary of 10-year-old Riley Philpot says she was to be buried at Pinewood Memorial Park following a ceremony at St. Gabriel's Catholic Church in Greenville Monday morning.

Riley died last Wednesday after a hard battle with cancer she fought since she was 6 years old.

Riley wanted to help those in similar situations, which resulted in the creation of her charity "Riley's Army."

Previous Story

The little girl whose fight against cancer inspired a charity has lost her battle against the disease.

Riley Philpot, of Winterville, died Wednesday, according to her family's website. The 10-year-old bravely battled a rare form of cancer called Wilms' tumor since 2006.

The Philpot family started "Riley's Army" -- a non-profit to provide support to children with cancer and their families. Kirk and Kelly Philpot said they realized they needed the help of others, and that others wanted to help their family. Riley's Army focused on connecting families with children fighting cancer with people who wanted to help. Riley was the inspirational face and spirit for it all.

Riley appeared on WITN's Sunrise show to promote some of her charity's events. Though sometimes shy on camera, Riley was a firecracker behind the scenes, with unforgettable freckles and a contagious smile.

To learn more about Riley's Army, click the link below.

• by Amber Location: Winterville NC on Jun 6, 2011 at 06:04 AM
    Rest in peace Riley<3 You and my sister Morgan were really close and I know you through her. You were such a beautiful, sweet little angel. I wish the best for the Philpot family. In my heart you will be.
  • by Jones' Location: greenville, nc on Jun 5, 2011 at 05:30 PM
    May God be with this loving, courageous family as they move forward without a sun shining in their life that will be greatly missed every day. May God provide comfort and peace in the knowledge that Riley is in His arms and being loved and cared for every minute of every day by Him. God bless them all.
  • by Spencer Family Location: Hyde County on May 30, 2011 at 06:32 PM
    Our thoughts and prayers are with the family. We are so sorry for your loss.
  • by anon Location: g-ville on May 30, 2011 at 04:00 PM
    I was doing my clinicals where her dad worked this week when she passed and to see the sadness on everyones face made me realize how big of a little girl she really was. She truely had an impact on everyone that knew her. She will be greatly missed and Riley I wore my ribbon for you!!!
  • by Cheryl Location: Stephens City VA on May 28, 2011 at 03:33 PM
    I am so sorry for this families loss. My heart aches for them. My daughter was diagnosed with the same cancer last year and is now finally cancer free.
  • by Debbie & Dale Location: Stella, NC on May 27, 2011 at 07:04 PM
    We are truly sorry to hear about Riley's passing. We didn't know her personally but Dr Philipot was Dale's doctor and we knew her through him. May she rest in peace, our deepest condolences to the her family.
  • by Compassion Location: fountain on May 27, 2011 at 10:36 AM
    my heart aches and eyes cry for you. May God give you stregnth to deal with your loss. May your love for her bring you closer and you find the peace together for yourselfs and your family. May her legacy life on through her Army for the children and their familes that will endure simlar condition. May she help GOD find that one specialist to find a cure to cancer. I did not know her or her family, but being a mother , my heart bleeds for you. But it sounds like she was a fighter and could win the heart of anyone.
  • by A Mom Location: ENC on May 27, 2011 at 09:15 AM
    My heart aches for the family. I do not know them personally (we have a mutual friend and I kept up with Riley through Caringbridge), but being a mom of three kids myself, I can only imagine the pain and loss they are feeling. Philpot family, please know that there are many, many people grieving with you and praying for your family. May God wrap his loving arms around you and may you find comfort in knowing that there is peace in His love. Riley was truly a remarkable, gifted child and her legacy will continue to be an inspiration to cancer patients and their families. Much love to you all.
  • by Linda Location: Winterville on May 27, 2011 at 07:22 AM
    I do not know the family but I was deeply saddened in reading the article. My sincere sympathy to this family. What an inspiration this child was! I hope in time things can get easier for this family in this most difficult time.
  • by Lillian Location: Florida on May 27, 2011 at 06:02 AM
    Dr. Kirk was my doctor while I lived in NC and he was always such a compassionate father . We always heard the latest news about his family and was always excited to hear about them. There are no words to express the loss they are feeling and unless you have lost a child there is no way you can have any idea how that feels. I know that both these parents are great doctors and they love their family. That was always very easy to see. My heart goes out to this family.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 122645604 - witn.com/a?a=122645604