Driver Faces Charges In Fatal Crash

A high school student who was driving with four friends when he got into a fatal accident is now facing charges for the death of one of his passengers.

Court records show Noland Robinson, 17, is charged with misdemeanor death by motor vehicle after the May 9th crash.

Lawmen say Robinson failed to yield at the right of way at the intersection of Holly Shelter Road and Harris Creek Loop Road in Richlands. The car he was driving then collided with a truck.

Joshua Petteway, 21, died one week after the accident from injuries sustained in the wreck.

Previous Story

One of five people injured in a crash one week ago in Onslow County has died.

A Facebook memorial page has been published for Joshua Petteway. The 21-year-old was critically injured in last Monday's crash at Holly Shelter Road and Harris Creek Loop Road.

He had been at New Hanover Regional Medical Center in Wilmington since the accident.

Four other people in the car, several who were Richlands High School students, were also hurt.

The Highway Patrol says the vehicle's driver, Noland Robinson, failed to yield the right of way and pulled out in front of a truck which hit the vehicle on the driver's side.

There have yet been any formal charges against Robinson.

Previous Story

Reports say three of the five young men hurt in a car accident Monday are still in the hospital.

Those injured in the accident include three students from Richlands High School and two graduates from the school. The driver, Noland Robinson, 17, is still at Pitt County Memorial Hospital, though he is able to walk, according to the Jacksonville Daily News.

Cody Lanham, 19, and Joshua Petteway, 21, remain at New Hanover Regional Medical Center in Wilmington. Lanham's brother, Aaron, says Cody is lucky to be alive considering the injury he sustained to his neck. The brother also says that Petteway has not yet regained consciousness.

The accident occurred Monday when Robinson failed to stop at a stop sign and the car he was driving was struck by a truck. Charges are pending in the crash.

Previous Story:

Onslow County School officials say four students from Richlands High School were involved in a bad accident Monday.

Assistant Superintendent Barry Collins said one student was airlifted to Pitt County Memorial Hospital in Greenville Another victim was transported to New Hanover Regional Medical Center, while two others were sent to Onslow Memorial Hospital. Collins said it was his understanding the two sent to Onslow Memorial Hospital had been released.

Collins said there were five people in the car that was involved in the accident, four of whom are students. Collins said he believed the fifth was a former student at Richlands High School, perhaps a graduate.

The Highway Patrol says the vehicle's driver, Noland Robinson was airlifted to Pitt County Memorial Hospital. They say he failed to yield the right of way and pulled out in front of a truck which hit the vehicle on the driver's side. The crash happened at Holly Shelter Road and Harris Creek Loop Road in Onslow County, around 5:30 p.m. Monday.

Troopers confirm that Cody Lanham is at New Hanover Regional and had surgery last night, while two other passengers were treated and released from Onslow Memorial Hospital. They are Ja'Ron Weldon and Antwaun Thompson.

A fifth person in the vehicle, Joshua Petteway, was severely injured. Troopers say Petteway is either 21 or 22 years old.

No charges have been filed yet because of the accident.

• by Rodney Location: Holly Shelter Rd on Jun 8, 2011 at 07:49 AM
    This accident happened right in front of my home, and people visiting me were the first to help the victems. As horrible as this incident is the truth is they weren't paying attention and drove through the stop sign, and the truck was going too fast. The sign is clearly visable. This is a tragic and needless accident and my thoughts go out to the families of the boys. I am truley sorry for your loss.
  • by neighbor on May 18, 2011 at 11:51 AM
    I am really sad to hear of that young man's death and I am praying for all those involved.
  • by mark Location: cambridge maryland on May 17, 2011 at 05:37 AM
    i cant believe this had tp happen my my cousin out of all people we will miss u josh u gone but never forgotten
  • by Anonymous on May 16, 2011 at 01:05 PM
    My prayers to all involved.. a young man is dead, families and friends of all are hurting and some people have nothing better to do then to place blame. To Alsoneighbor-- might want to look up John 8:7.
  • by Anonymous Location: Richlands on May 16, 2011 at 11:37 AM
    I am not believing some of the comments on this horrible tragedy. No one deserves to die. Car accidents are the highest cause of death for young adults. Accidents happen. I have pulled out in front of cars/trucks by accident more than a couple of times in my life just like everyone else who drives. Questioning the parenting of these kids does nothing for the pain their families are going thru. These boys were young adults. What could their parents do to protect them? You should be ashamed.
  • by Sympathizing Location: Richlands, NC on May 16, 2011 at 10:30 AM
    RIP to the young man that lost his life in this accident. May the Lord be with your family.
      by mark on May 17, 2011 at 05:38 AM in reply to Sympathizing
  • by AlsoNeighbor Location: Haws Run on May 14, 2011 at 09:49 AM
    The wreck should not have occurred. Those boys should have been at the game and today should be playing their own pick up game, not laying in a hospital. Do you disagree? IF they had better teachers, IF MY (finger points at myself) generation were better parents, PERHAPS these precious boys would be doing what boys should be doing on a beautiful Saturday morning in spring. Shame on us who refuse the OPPORTUNITY to examine ourselves to try to see and learn the lessons bought and paid for with our children's blood.
      by Mom of 4 on May 16, 2011 at 08:33 AM in reply to AlsoNeighbor
      AlsoNeighbor, This accident had NOTHING to do with parenting of these boys. I personally know 2 of the boys parents and they are fine parents. As the mother of 4 teenagers, I can tell you I am a good parent, but ALL 4 of my children have a mind of their own!! Thankfully they have not been in any accidents like this one, but we as parents never know what our children do once they walk out our door. All we can do is pray and have faith in them to make the right decisions once they are out of our sight. This was an unfortunate ACCIDENT..that's all. If you think once your children are out of your sight they are still angels..I tell you you'd better think again . As for all of the boys injured, Our family is still praying for you to make a full recovery, both mentally and physically.
      by LoveThyNeighbour on May 16, 2011 at 10:45 AM in reply to AlsoNeighbor
      @AlsoNeighbor I hope you have also read Micah 6:8 'And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.' Sometimes things happen in life, which cannot be prepared for or fought against despite every prayer given up beforehand. I am just so thankful that God who is merciful and just, meets us with open non-judgmental arms of love when they are needed most. I pray that you never have to collapse into Them the way these young boys and their families have had to recently do. Maybe you wanted your posts to be uplifting or helpful but instead all I read is a sanctimonious line of judgment and condemnation at a time prayer and support is what these children, their families and the community needs most.
  • by Marcus Location: Jacksonville on May 12, 2011 at 02:42 PM
    As a cousin of Josh Petteway, I am disturbed by some of the comments, implying that this accident is simply the cause of reckless teenage drivers, dismissing this as a "they should have known better" situation. These were 5 young men on their way to see a basketball game, that were involved in an ACCIDENT. You want to issue fault so bad, go watch a televised judge show; any comment not geared towards the well being of these young men is unnecessary, and quite telling of the lack of humanity or compassion of its owner..Shame on you if you have nothing to say positive, yet still insist on commenting on this story.
  • by myeisha gibbs Location: wilmington nc on May 12, 2011 at 11:23 AM
    joshua is my cousin and it wasnt they fault they eased they way out and they did not see the truck so dont put it on my cousin and please keep my family in your prays
  • by AlsoNeighbor Location: Haws Run on May 12, 2011 at 08:33 AM
    Prayer comes constantly. Scripture clearly states that if one raises ones children correctly, they will grow up to be wise. I can speak with confidence regarding my children's future because I am guaranteeing their future with my actions today. We should all be able to be this confident. Pray constantly, read scripture daily, that is HOW we and our children, attain wisdom and honor before God. Not in the eyes of man, in the eyes of God. I am praying to rebuke the negative efforts in these lives so that wisdom can be attained. So that their future can be assured.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 121560209 - witn.com/a?a=121560209