Restaurant Owner Robbed Near Home

The owner of a Kinston restaurant was robbed and assaulted late Friday night as she was walking to her home.

Police say Anna Voyiatzis, who owns the Olympian Restaurant, told them as she was walking to the back door of her home she was robbed at gunpoint. The woman says the gunman, who had a red bandanna over his face, struck her and demanded money.

It happened around 11:50 p.m. Friday in the parking of Herritage Courts Apartments on Doctors Drive.

The gunman got away with the woman's pocketbook and an undisclosed amount of cash and so far police have made no arrests.

• by LAG4Life Location: LaGrange on Mar 14, 2011 at 02:24 PM
    I'm really sorry to her. She is a very sweet lady. I just pray that they catch whoever did this. Crime happens everywhere not just in Kinston. You can focus on tougher gun laws but there are gonna be people out there that has no respect for the laws. They are going to break them regardless. I just think that if we see things happening around the areas call the police. Patrol your own neighborhoods and if you see something out of the ordinary report it. If we don't look out for ourselves and our neighbors who will.
  • by OpenCarry on Mar 10, 2011 at 08:24 PM
    Anyone who owns a business or regularly makes deposits for a business should SERIOUSLY look into getting a handgun, getting training, and carrying whenever they can. Personal safety is YOUR personal responsibility. I'm not blaming the victim here, but if she had been wearing a Glock or a Colt on her hip in plain view, there is a VERY good change this thug would have thought long and hard before mugging her...
  • by ralph Location: ahoskie on Mar 7, 2011 at 04:48 PM
    disarming victims is not the answer to crime. The thing that all crime has in common, is not the weapon, it is the criminal.
  • by maggie Location: lagrange on Mar 7, 2011 at 04:27 PM
    well no i don't think tougher gun laws will keep guns out of the hands of people intent to commit crimes, but working in east Kinston,I see the Kinston's finest ride through there with blinders on, they act as if they dont see the thugs and bangers standing on the street smoking blounts and drinking liquior, if they would stop once and awhile and check out some of these people perhaps they would find some of these guns that are being used to commit crimes. Just Sayin!!
  • by Anonymous on Mar 7, 2011 at 02:16 PM
    Maggie, do you really think tougher guns laws will keep them away from thugs, I like George's idea, 3 strike law.
  • by Heather Location: Lenoir County on Mar 7, 2011 at 02:13 PM
    I hate to say this and hurt everyone but crime happens every where, when ever there is a chance. I am truly sorry this happened my husband and son love Olypian and I hope this doesn't keep people away because then we have let the bad guys when. Maybe we Lenoir County residents should have a We Take Back the Night walk and start at the Olympian and work our way to the "bad areas" un quote! Any one who decides to, just post it and I will be there.
  • by Big E. on Mar 7, 2011 at 01:41 PM
    Maggie you need to wake up! The only people that are penalized by gun control laws are the law abiding citizens. Thugs and robbers are always going to have guns no matter how many laws they have. I would suggest that more law abiding citizens start carrying concealed, but get the permit first. Remember, when seconds count the police are only minutes away!
  • by George Location: Kinston on Mar 7, 2011 at 01:37 PM
    probably a repeat offender, NC needs the 3 strike law. If you don't learn your lesson after the first 2 times, you should spend the rest of your life in prison
  • by maggie Location: lagrange on Mar 7, 2011 at 12:20 PM
    I am so sorry this happened to Ms. Anna, such a sweet lady she didn't deserve this.. I hope they catch this thug and lock him up for along time. It seems to me the thugs and bangers have more guns than the police! why can't they focus more on gun control in this town??
  • by Wonder Bread on Mar 7, 2011 at 08:47 AM
    To Mr.T....Do you think only crime happens in Kinston??

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 117516039 - witn.com/a?a=117516039