Resident Inquires About Unemployment Benefits, Rep. LaRoque Offers Job

Emails between a state representative and an unemployed worker in the east ignited a war of words over jobless benefits.

Kathryn Treadway of Goldsboro lost her $15.00 an hour job last year and received unemployment, but like thousands of other North Carolinians, her benefits were cut off when the governor vetoed a bill to extend them.

Treadway lost her home and wrote a letter to legislators. House representative, Republican Stephen LaRoque of Kinston, pointed out some companies where she could apply and then offered her a job for three days at his home for $8.00 an hour. Treadway says LaRoque asked her to pick up large limbs in 90 degree weather Friday and she was unable to do it. LaRoque says Treadway was on the phone while on the job and he thinks she's lazy and only wants a government handout.

LaRoque says, "I sympathize with everybody who is trying to find work who is truly out beating the bushes, knocking on doors and trying to find the jobs. Some folks I don't believe are doing that, I don't believe they are really trying."

Treadway says, "I feel like everybody has the wrong idea about these people who need these extended benefits, we're not asking for a simple handout, we're asking for hand up."

It was just last week that LaRoque was in the spotlight when he called the state NAACP and its leader racist.

• by Citizen Location: Kinston on Jun 6, 2011 at 09:32 PM
    LaRoque is on a roll! I love it!!!!Finally, a politician who isn't afraid to call it what it is. LaRoque for President!!!!!!
  • by Anonymous on Jun 5, 2011 at 12:53 PM
    This woman was lazy. If she wanted the money bad enough she would have worked in the heat. Tons of people make a living in the heat. I remember working in tobacco during the summers, it was deathly hot but I needed the money. Too many people these day would die if they had to actually do hard work.
      by Anonymous on Jun 7, 2011 at 03:28 AM in reply to
      Women are equal to men. Ask any liberal. You are a morally repugnant sexist.
  • by BCZ on Jun 2, 2011 at 07:32 AM
    Unemployment isn't welfare -- the only people eligible for it were working in the first place. Almost to a man, you won't find anyone who wants to continue living hand-to-mouth on the taxpayer's dime. The problem is that it isn't easy to find work. Most of the workers who were laid off with or shortly after me found their jobs through pre-established contacts, not by walking door-to-door through a commercial district. If companies are actually hiring and not reconnoitering, they're utterly in control. Given the economic uncertainty, they'd just as soon wait a year and give the work to an existing employee who's scared to death of a pink slip. I used to take offense to accusations of laziness from internet blowhards until I realized how many of them are those goofs playing Farmville at the office, and just got lucky this time around.
  • by one question on Jun 1, 2011 at 07:13 PM
    Why couldn't Stephen LaRoque just simply do the job himself?
      by anonymous on Jun 5, 2011 at 08:39 AM in reply to one question
      Or work for $8 an hour himself.
  • by Tommy Location: NC on Jun 1, 2011 at 06:50 PM
    I agree with u Kathy, lots of companies are making lot of money with govt taxes and loop holes,they keep it for themselves or stockholders, u have worked hard for a company for 31 yrs and they kick u in the pants, Shame on the companies and SHAME on LaRoque for slurying off on the people whom had the bad luck of losing their career. I sure her training will help her get a better job than picking up trees ina lazy representative's yard. He must be very schovist.
  • by Kathy on Jun 1, 2011 at 05:49 PM
    I have worked for the last 31 years. My job got sent to India. I was making nearly 70k. You think I'm gonna take a job for $8 an hour? No thank you, my unemployment pays way more than that. My company let me down, they paid in the benefits and now their rate will go up because I (and 100s of others) are now using those benefits. We deserve it. This LaRoque is a simple country boy. Can we get some decent people in office. Nevermind replying to my post because I will not dignify with an answer unless you offer me a job making at least half of what I was making before.
      by Sorry on Jun 1, 2011 at 07:46 PM in reply to Kathy
      If you were worth $70,000 then you could find a job making half of that. Apparently you have no skills or abilities that are worth that now to anybody. Therefore, you will not work until somebody pays you more than you are worth. Therefore, you will end up with no benefits and no job. Brilliant! DUH! Now I see why nobody will pay you even half of what you (and apparently only you) think you are worth.
      by Anonymous on Jun 5, 2011 at 08:37 AM in reply to Kathy
      I agree with you. If a person can run up and dpwn a basketball court and be worth several million dollars a year, then you are worth $70k. Incidently, I too was let go while people from India were kept on the job. Company's position was it cost a lot of money to bring workers from India while American workers were just down the street at the unemploymment office. I wrote my senator and complained about about the number of foreigh workers in the U.S. while Americans were being laid off. My senator at that time was John Edwards. His reply was that he fully supported foreigh workers in the U,S, and he intended to introduce legislation to increase, not decrease, the number. I hope he fries. Hang in there and good luck. If $8 an hour is the going rate for workers, then maybe, our legislators should set an example by showing us how they would live on that amount of money.
        by OK on Jun 5, 2011 at 01:37 PM in reply to Anonymous
        I agree wholeheartedly with you.
  • by Kathy on Jun 1, 2011 at 05:43 PM
  • by I think Location: gville on Jun 1, 2011 at 01:39 PM
    I think if you flat out quit a job you should not be given unemployment. That is what is wrong with that system long with Social Security (if you have the right MD/attorney they can get you anything). I know a young guy a few years back got disablility and owns/operators a towing business and yeap he was out doing the towing at all hours and was no more disabled than I am. Something has to be done like more investigations.
  • by Anonymous on Jun 1, 2011 at 10:37 AM
    Like I said Scott, the phone is my mother's, not mine. And I think the 10$ tracfone and 68 minutes a month is not costing you anymore than it costs me. I still pay taxes from my unemployment check, remember? If you're seriously going to accost me over a 10$ tracfone that a disabled 67 year old woman and 82 year old man on SSI use as their only phone, then you're pretty much as big a jerk as LaRoque. Maybe you should give him a call on your personal-paid-for cell phone and do some yard work for him dude.
      by Anonymous on Jun 4, 2011 at 08:45 AM in reply to
      The problem is dear you are the one taking the phone that was the only phone your parents have to use for your own use when they got it for being disabled and yet your the one who has it and is not disabled... who is the "jerk"
      by Scott on Jun 6, 2011 at 12:11 PM in reply to
      I would if I didn't have a job already. I don't mind working. Life is full of ups and downs, when it turns down, like it has for you lately, you do the best you can and work hard and make the best of the situation you are in. I guess some people expect hand outs forever. Why do you have your elderly mother's only means of communication which the Govt. provided to her and no one else?
        by Oh please on Jun 16, 2011 at 02:05 PM in reply to Scott
        The phone was used because she went to a gentleman's house she did not know. She did not have a cell phone of her own. If it was your daughter, and she was going to a man's house she had never met to do yard work and had no cell phone, would you loan her yours, just in case? I think so. Quit moaning and groaning about your tax dollars. She paid tax dollars too, for many years. I think she's earned the right to use a government phone for 3 minutes!
  • by HAPPENED TO ME Location: FOUNTAIN on Jun 1, 2011 at 10:12 AM
    i was laid off from a job and could not find emplyment for a couple of months, so i took advangtage of the oppertunity to go back to school. I felt guilt, but then it was pointed out to me that i had worked a job since i was 16, and had paid in those benifits for that time. I went to school for a certificate program, got on with an organization that would help pay for me to further my education to have a better paying job to be able to support my family on my own.USE YOUR HEAD.There are opprotunites out there, but you have to look for them. There are jobs out there. just as others have stated not what you want. but you have to start somewhere! pouting about it accomplishes nothing. you have to prioritize and restructure your life. don't try to live outside your means.
      by Ignorance is apparently BLISS on Jun 1, 2011 at 11:32 AM in reply to HAPPENED TO ME
      YOU never paid a penny for those benefits. ONLY your employer paid. You are truly ignorant or extremely confused. The law doesn't have the employee pay for Unemployment only the employer.
      by Anonymous on Jun 4, 2011 at 08:11 AM in reply to HAPPENED TO ME
      yeah whoever told you that you paid for those benefits had no clue... You didn't pay a dime for those benefits... your employer pays for unemployment insurance...

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 122909109 - witn.com/a?a=122909109