Reggie Fountain Talks To WITN About Resignation

For the past three decades Reggie Fountain has dedicated his life to the boating industry in Beaufort County. Fountain says, “It’s like one of your kids. I've got kids. I know how it is to have kids and I love it and think a lot of it. And I spent day and night down there for 30 plus years.

He was known for building performance sport and fishing boats and making boat racing very popular in the area. But then tough times hurt the company. Fountain says, “When the economy hit it was so bad.”

Fountain Powerboats went through tough financial times and that’s when a new group of owners, Liberty Associates came into the picture. Fountain says that was a tough thing for him to deal with, "I've always run my own businesses, I’ve been independent, I don't want to be any other way."

And on Friday Fountain announced he was resigning, saying, “There was differences from the beginning in engineering, manufacturing, the sales, the marketing and the financing of the operation too."

And as fountain thinks of the past 31 years he says, “My biggest regret is all the great employees I had for the 30 years. They became my friends. They were like my family and it was tough to have to let them go."

Fountain says he isn’t closing the door to the boating industry. But has no set plans yet on what he’s doing next.

Previous Story:

Reggie Fountain, who founded Fountain Powerboats in Beaufort County, says he has resigned from the company.

Fountain Powerboats emerged from bankruptcy this year and was purchased by Liberty Associates.

"I am resigning over a difference of opinion and philosophy with the new owners," Fountain told WITN News. "They own it and have the authority to run it as they see fit. I thought the best thing to do would be to charter my own course. I'm totally ineffective there."

As far as Fountain's future plans, he says, "I'll see what else is available. I have nothing planned for now, but have some ideas."

According to Fountain Powerboats' website, it announced Reggie Fountain was placed on administrative leave Wednesday.

It was November 20th that Fountain Powerboats announced plans to move Donzi Marine and Pro-Line boats to the plant creating over 400 jobs over five years. The plant currently employs 75 people.

When asked what he thought the future of Fountain Powerboats would be, Reggie Fountain said, "I don't want to comment on their future."

• by Wolfscourt Location: USA on Feb 9, 2011 at 05:31 AM
    Wowsers! I just found out that the King has left the building! As one of Reggie's former employees, I can say that he did a lot for the people who worked for him & for the Washington, NC area. As a professional boat builder, I can say that he revolutionized the performance & offshore segments of the boating industry. As a businessman, I can say that it's unbelievable he lasted as long as he did. We weren't friends & I'll always remember the really stupid mistakes he made, but I can honestly say that I'm proud to have worked with him because he was simply the best at what he did. I didn't like him very much, but I have tremendous respect for him & for what he accomplished. I'm genuinely saddened that he's walked through the front gate for the last time. I know the feeling. Fare the well Reginald Morton Fountain...
  • by Sam Location: Kitty Hawk on Dec 20, 2010 at 10:30 AM
    He needs to retire anyways. The man was so successful in what he has done and has made several million dollars doing it. If I was him, I'd retire once another company had bought out Fountain. This man has been GREAT for the City of Washington, Beaufort County and surrounding counties. He also could race a boat as well.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 16, 2010 at 10:36 PM
    You people need to ease up! First, those are age spots and we all are going to get them if we live long enough. Second, yes, he does look like a burn victim, but then he has never been burned!
  • by Picture This on Dec 16, 2010 at 12:05 PM
    Have him dress up in his FOUNTAIN attire and go be a Fountain Boat Repo Officer. Maybe he will become famous and get his own TV series on cable network. He can get some lessons from the nasty looking bail bondsman. He loves being flashey.
  • by LoL @ Ears&Eyes Location: Greenville on Dec 16, 2010 at 11:15 AM
    To ears and eyes: That was well stated! lol...
  • by Ears&Eyes on Dec 16, 2010 at 10:51 AM
    Alot of his money went to beautify US 264 & NC 92 at Midway, Beaufort Co.
  • by ME Location: Chocowinity on Dec 16, 2010 at 02:50 AM
    Well when all is said and done the economy being what it is hasn't helped the boating industry as a whole it has hurt many of the bigger companies and killed many of the smaller companies associated with it.
  • by dave Location: washington on Dec 15, 2010 at 06:21 PM
    mercury marine sure took a big loss dealing with fountain power boats
  • by Anonymous on Dec 14, 2010 at 11:55 AM
    Good for CARVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • by Out With The Old!! Location: Washington on Dec 14, 2010 at 05:05 AM
    This is looking similar in a way to Carver Machine Works. In that case however the owners sold the company to the employees and stepped down with exception of one that basically just shows up (when he feels like it) to collect a paycheck. This company is now growing like crazy thanks to a new CEO and board of directors. It was time for some fresh blood just like it is with Fountain. May they prosper with their new management and leadership!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 111686279 - witn.com/a?a=111686279