Rabies Confirmed After Raccoon Attacks Dog

A raccoon in Greenville has tested positive for rabies following its attack on a dog.

The attack happened at a home on Blue Banks Farm Road off Highway 43, according to the Daily Reflector.

After the raccoon attacked the dog, the homeowner killed the rabid animal. The dog's rabies vaccination was up to date.

• by Stan Location: G'ville on Mar 31, 2011 at 04:50 PM
    I keep my dogs up to date with their shots but I also have young grandchildren and it is disconcerting that there are rabid raccoons in the neighborhoods. Obviously life is a risk but it would be intelligent for people not to leave food available for the wildlife and it is responsible to keep trashcan lids secure.
  • by tod Location: 7 springs on Mar 31, 2011 at 02:46 PM
    this happened to my dogs when a rabid coon climbed in my fenced yard 2 years ago. The dogs were a couple months past due for that years rabies booster, so it cost me 3000 buks for 6 months confinement and supervision from county health dept. Now I just shoot coons on sight in or out of season if they are on my acreage
  • by B Location: Gvegas on Mar 31, 2011 at 08:58 AM
    Does anyone know where Blue Bank Farms Road is at?
      by Anonymous on Mar 31, 2011 at 10:21 AM in reply to B
      Across from Rock Springs
  • by Sam Location: Kitty Hawk on Mar 31, 2011 at 08:16 AM
    Raccoons I wish were extinct. Those are some of the most worthless animals on earth. If you think that deer is destroying your backyard, deer are nowhere as bad as raccoons. Where I'm at though I would be suprised to see a deer in my yard.
      by Audra on Mar 31, 2011 at 09:54 AM in reply to Sam
      You could move to the Antarctic. Almost nothing lives on land there so you won't be bothered anymore. As a plus, no one will be bothered by you anymore either. Enjoy.
        by Anonymous on Mar 31, 2011 at 02:03 PM in reply to Audra
        I have to agree 100% with your last statement. It made me laugh.
      by jerry on Mar 31, 2011 at 01:56 PM in reply to Sam
      And a racoon destroys your yard by........how?
  • by Really? Location: DC on Mar 31, 2011 at 06:10 AM
    That picture is awesome!
  • by tiger Location: williamston on Mar 31, 2011 at 05:51 AM
    that is terrible.. although its a good thing the dog was vacciinated.@anonymous however there arent to many raccoons running loose! they were here first i do understand him shooting the animal though.
      by Anonymous on Mar 31, 2011 at 09:50 AM in reply to tiger
      Well yeah, I should hope you understand shooting the animal.. it had rabies. Kind of a no-brainer there.
  • by Anthony Location: DoesItMatterUSA on Mar 31, 2011 at 05:45 AM
    A lot of people leave food out for their roving cats, or for colonies of feral cats and this attracks raccoons and other wildlife, as does open garbage pails. Not a good practice, however we don't know if this was the case in this particular story.
  • by 250 Location: Jax on Mar 31, 2011 at 04:54 AM
    Hey ANON@0708: How bout we quit infringing in their natural habitat. Hmmmm See it all over Onslow down here. Build Build Build. Then people complain that deer are coming up in "their" yards and grazing. Nibbling on fruit trees etc. The important statement in this story is the pet's owner was resposible and had the dog current on vacinations.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 31, 2011 at 04:08 AM
    There are too many raccoons running loose in Pitt County neighborhoods. I wish they could be relocated away from residential areas, of course if residents would animal proof their trash cans it would help too.
      by Pitt on Mar 31, 2011 at 04:48 AM in reply to
      Then you should get right on that !
      by Anonymous on Mar 31, 2011 at 05:08 AM in reply to
      A "no trespassing" sign might work. If not, get a judge to issue a restraining order against all critters.
      by gville mom on Mar 31, 2011 at 07:04 AM in reply to
      omg. really? with all the building and new neighborhoods going up everywhere, just where should the raccoons go? Come on people, they were there first and they don't know any better. wildlife is everywhere. that's why there are laws against having an unvaccinated pet...in case something like this happens. I am glad the dog was vaccinated.
      by Audra on Mar 31, 2011 at 09:48 AM in reply to
      Do you also plan on figuring out a locking mechanism for outdoor dogfood bowls that the dog can figure out how to open without thumbs? (The raccoon has thumbs, by the way.) lol Incidentally, raccoons are terribly curious by nature. Locking up the scraps and crumbs won't stop them from exploring. If nothing else, they will look for cozy, safe spots to nest... which developed areas do provide. They are incredible survivors, and critter-proofed cans won't get rid of them. I live in a far more populated area than you do and they're here too.
        by jerry on Mar 31, 2011 at 02:00 PM in reply to Audra
        That`s true. One was looking for food in my yard last night. He couldn`t find any so he stole my bike and went up to Trade Mart and stole a can of sardines.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 118974454 - witn.com/a?a=118974454