Two Girls Thrown Down By Lightning Strike In Craven County

Two young Craven County girls are counting their blessings after having a close call with a bolt of lightning this afternoon.

Abby Morefield, who is 12, and her nine year old sister, Anna, had just gotten off the school bus at their home on Oakview Drive.

Because of the bad weather, their mother, Deborah Morefield, had waved the bus down to their house. When the two walked next to some trees there was a loud crash and a bolt of lightning. Both girls were knocked to the ground. They started crying and managed to get up and run toward the house.

Their parents called a family doctor who told them to dial 911 because the oldest couldn't feel her hands or feet. There were also strange markings on her right hand and right foot.

EMS gave the 12-year-old an EKG and said she was going to be okay.

That tree in the yard had a large area where the bark was peeled away from the trunk.

Their mother says there's nothing they could have done differently and she's just glad her girls are okay.

• by ashley on Feb 27, 2012 at 08:41 AM
    look now those two girls are my sister so why don't y'all back off with my step mom and dad did they called EMT they have to go to college to get certified with an EMT certificate so back off of my step mom and dad because emt's know a lot to and sometimes people don't need to go to the hospital if the test on the ablance comes back good then they don't gotta go. so dont be so negitiave towards them. the girls are gonna be fine(:
  • by JimSwaggart Location: Kinston on Feb 25, 2012 at 03:53 AM
    I don't know about the so called religious intervention with blessings and all but I do know they were mighty lucky.
  • by Shine Location: NE NC on Feb 24, 2012 at 09:59 PM
    Glad they are ok. Along time ago I was a manager on a Purebred Swine Farm - the rest would call it a hog house. LOL There was a bad storm coming and we were dropping the curtains in the gestation house and nursery. Lightning hit a tree maybe 75 yrds from us and the WORLD TURNED PINK. One guy fell like an Oak tree - It pushed me down to the floor, He was not injured and didn't remember any of it. My hair was standing STRAIGHT out as well as the hair on my arms. I have done rescue on lightning strike victims and it blow their shoes off of their feet. Happened up - I was traveling - A hispanic group that was doing some construction had a young male --- maybe 20 in the back seat of a SUV. Well...... he was dead..... The tape measure he was wearing on his side got struck by lightning - He looked fine other than the fact he was not alive. I didn't attempt to go further but did follow up......... They took his pants off and both of his legs were burned black..... That stuff is nothing to play with.
  • by medic on Feb 24, 2012 at 09:05 PM
    Emt nerds? Really? God forbid someone in your family ever gets sick or injured. If it happens, call a taxi. These "nerds" are proud of what we do
  • by Gatlin Location: Creswell on Feb 24, 2012 at 08:58 PM
    Well, I hope the two girls will be okay and they suppose to let their school release at 1:00 or earlier. Like me , my school gets off at 1:00 p.m.
  • by itsmrkent2umf Location: Winterville, n.c. on Feb 24, 2012 at 06:07 PM
    EMT Nerds......Really???...Really???...
  • by Morgan Location: New Bern on Feb 24, 2012 at 03:24 PM
    Omg I know those girls, we were best friends. I hope they r ok
  • by EMT Location: Craven on Feb 24, 2012 at 02:46 PM
    Shame on EMS, they are not doctors and should have never told those girls everything was okay. They should have been transported for evaluation at the hospital.
      by Medic on Feb 24, 2012 at 04:13 PM in reply to EMT
      come on now, you know EMS ran a strip on these girls, and you know as well that they recommended transport. they may have informed them that nothing looked abnormal on the monitor, which is perfectly fine. Just because a journalist doesnt write it exactly like that, doesnt mean that the crew didnt do the job, come on dude. Don't put EMT as your name, then Shame on EMS in your comment, your comment shows that you are obviously not on the job
      by EMT #2 on Feb 24, 2012 at 05:06 PM in reply to EMT
      You're seriously going to shame EMTs in your own county, let alone speak on something you apparently don't know anything about? You can't always trust the print on a story, I'm pretty sure the EMTs had suggested that the girls be transported, and they are allowed to say whether or not an EKG strip looks normal or abnormal. If the mother/guardian decides not to have them transported, that is not on the EMTs. So shame on you, for your comment.
        by Really on Feb 25, 2012 at 07:13 AM in reply to EMT #2
        Medic... really, you think the EMS personnel didn't suggest they go to the hospital? Do you know what it cost to transport in the EMS vehicle? My last ride was $900. If the girls were stable and mom was okay not going to the hospital, EMS can't force you to go if you are a child. I think there is more to this story than was reported so far as details are concerned.
  • by EMT Location: Craven on Feb 24, 2012 at 02:44 PM
  • by StungByItThreeTimes on Feb 24, 2012 at 02:40 PM
    I told my signifigant other I was going to pick my son up at 1:15(schools closed)today because I did not want him getting off the bus,running to the house and getting soak and wet or for this very reason right here.Glad she is doing good.It could happen to anybody.
      by Straight on Feb 25, 2012 at 06:35 AM in reply to StungByItThreeTimes
      If you mean by your name that you have been struck by lightning 3 times in your life.....you might want to check your lifestyle and leave your "significant other".
        by Anonymous on Feb 25, 2012 at 08:36 AM in reply to Straight
        STUNG!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 140348093 - witn.com/a?a=140348093