Prosecutor In East Subject To 7 Citizen Complaints

The district attorney responsible for prosecuting crimes in seven northeastern North Carolina coastal counties is facing complaints about his job performance from seven residents.

The Daily Advance of Elizabeth City reports the petitions ask a judge to suspend or remove District Attorney Frank Parrish from office. North Carolina law allows any citizen to file a petition to remove a district attorney without any initial screening, unlike other law enforcement officials.

Superior Court Judge Alma Hinton of Roanoke Rapids will decide within days whether the complaints deserve a hearing or should be dismissed.

The head of the group representing the state's district attorneys says one or two DAs each year are hit with citizen complaints. Peg Dorer says most are dismissed by a judge before they get to a hearing.

(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

• by Squeaky Location: Pitt Co on Feb 23, 2012 at 12:59 PM
    Darn. I was hoping this would be about Clark Everett.
  • by AgreedTotally Location: ENC on Feb 23, 2012 at 11:09 AM
    Property crimes are not being properly investigated OR prosecuted in many areas of eastern NC. A B&E/Larceny in many cases is akin to rape to the victim, especially when it involved being spied upon for weeks or months beforehand, and included multiple participants (a conspiracy). When someone IS actually caught, the plea bargaining and lack of prosecution is leading to a rampant mistrust of the legal system, and emboldening the perps to commit more serious crimes.
      by easier said than done on Feb 23, 2012 at 12:51 PM in reply to AgreedTotally
      While I agree that the system appears to have issues, the problem is much easier identified than repaired. I am an attorney and former prosecutor (now practice primarily civil law) as a prosecutor it sicken me to have to plea bargain some of the cases that I did and I know it bothers many of our judges to give sentences that appear to the public be lenient. However, the sentencing guidelines often dictate to the Judge, the sentence that is given. As to plea bargains, without tripling the amount of court space, court personnel (court officers, assistant DA’s, probation officers, clerk’s of court etc) there is no way to resolve cases in any feasible time frame without plea bargaining cases. Most cases would have to be tried and we just do not have the court space or resources to do that. If guilty people were sent to prison for the length of time they deserve or appear to deserve, we would then need to triple (or more) our prison space. I agree that criminals do not appear to be overly concerned with the results of their actions but to really solve the problem our legislators would have to allot significantly more money which as you know ultimately ends up back in our laps in the form of increased taxes.
        by RED MAN on Feb 23, 2012 at 01:49 PM in reply to easier said than done
        WHY NOT DO AWAY WITH LAWS THAT TARGET PEOPLE WHO LIKE TO SMOKE WEEED . THEY ARE JUST HURTING THEMSELVES.
          by TotallyAgain on Feb 23, 2012 at 04:16 PM in reply to RED MAN
          Amen to Red Man. If the gov't would quit wasting time and resources on BS like crimes of consent, which take up over 80% of the court's time, and stay out of peoples marriages and childrens' lives, you could concentrate on crimes that actually have VICTIMS. This would free-up A LOT of prison space. And furthermore, a huge part of the failed social programs budget could be re-directed to used to build prisons galore(or something that actually achieved results). There are a lot of potential common-sense solutions, but none of them tend to cater to the current political system and the rampant pocket-lining. We're in big trouble as a nation.
  • by fed up 6 years ago Location: williamston on Feb 23, 2012 at 10:23 AM
    Six years ago, I tried to have my ex-husband prosecuted for bigamy when he knowingly married me when he was not divorced from his previous wife. After contacting Mr. Parrish's office with all the evidence, I was informed that it was not worth his time to convict someone of a class II felony. He had more important things to do. I also tried to have my lawyer punished when he had 4 DUI's and no punishment. He got another DUI and almost killed himself while representing me leaving me in a legal and financial bind having to find another attorney while he was unable to get me any of money back for not fulfilling his obligation to me as a client. Again, Mr. Parrish offered no assistance. He did not even want to talk to me and dismissed me quickly. It is the "good ole boy network" there for sure. They do watch out for who they play golf with!!!
      by You Gotta Be Kidding on Feb 23, 2012 at 11:22 AM in reply to fed up 6 years ago
      It sounds like to me you are a scorned and vengeful person. Maybe you ought to take a good look in the mirror before you throw anymore verbal accusations. Shame on YOU!!!!
        by fed up 6 years ago on Feb 23, 2012 at 06:32 PM in reply to You Gotta Be Kidding
        I am not the one who committed a felony. Are you? First of all, Mr Parrish is an elected official that is paid with our tax dollars. He does not have the right to decide what is worth him prosecuting and what is not. His duty is to prosecute those accused of a crime to the limit of the law. It is not his job to decide whether his calendar has time to convict someone or not.
          by You Gotta Be Kidding Me on Feb 24, 2012 at 12:00 AM in reply to fed up 6 years ago
          You are so so wrong!!! It is up to the DA's Office to decide if a crime has been committed and also if there is enough evidence to warrant taking the case to a grand jury or to trial. The DA's Office decides all this. So like I said SHAME ON YOU! You are just a scorned bitter person.
        by Anonymous on Feb 24, 2012 at 12:26 PM in reply to You Gotta Be Kidding
        Are you a lawyer?
      by C-HAD on Feb 24, 2012 at 09:58 AM in reply to fed up 6 years ago
      Of course their probably lodge buddies, what did you expect?
  • by charles Location: new bern on Feb 23, 2012 at 09:09 AM
    when a convict gets 9 years for murdering his father,some body should be fired.
  • by chill Location: enc on Feb 23, 2012 at 08:35 AM
    The judge will dismiss the charges most likely. The good old boys looking out for thier golf buddies while they drink alcohol and ride on thier golf carts.
      by me on Feb 23, 2012 at 09:07 AM in reply to chill
      You already found him guilty.Wow that was quick.
        by you on Feb 23, 2012 at 10:43 AM in reply to me
        Most people are guilty in judges eyes these days. People have to prove they are not guilty .

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 140153403 - witn.com/a?a=140153403