Proposal Would Ban Even Handsfree Cell Use In NC

Those who support a ban on talking on the cell phone while driving will get yet another chance before state lawmakers. A bill has been introduced in the state senate that would ban cell phone use while driving, even hands-free.

Senate Bill 36 is being sponsored by a Charlotte state senator, while Senator Ed Jones of Halifax County, Senator Clark Jenkins of Edgecombe County and Senator Stan White of Dare County are listed as co-sponsors.

If the proposal becomes law, those caught driving while using a cell phone would face a $100 fine. Emergency workers and police, along with people calling 911 during an emergency would be exempt from the law.

A similar bill was introduced in the House, House Bill 31.

There is a separate bill that would permit drivers to use hands-free devices. House Bill 44 would make using a cell phone behind the illegal unless the driver is using a hands-free device. That bill, which is separate from the aforementioned Senate Bill 36, is sponsored by Rep. Garland Pierce. Rep. Marian McLawhorn of Pitt County is co-sponsoring that piece of legislation.

• by Anonymous on Mar 25, 2011 at 06:41 PM
    I am FED UP with dodging cell phone slaves on the road. They blissfully zip through red lights and drift out of their lanes while making calls that can wait until later [like, WHEN THEY'RE NOT DRIVING!!]. State Senate, please proceed with my blessings on this one. These thoughtless idiots have endangered enough people for way too long!
  • by concerned parent Location: greenville on Mar 7, 2011 at 11:35 AM
    I agree with texting but this weekend proved that having a cell phone was very important. My daughter got lose from following her stupid boyfriend and didn't know where she was. she ha never driven away from home. Her father and I went to look for her while he kept her on the phone. she still could not discribe where she was so i called the highway patrol and they put me in contact with the police of where she last saw a sign stating the town. However she was located and fine, but with out that cell phone she may still be lost. a shout out a big THANK YOU TO THE ROCKY MOUNT POLICE for help us find our daughter.
  • by agree with tank Location: eastern nc on Feb 22, 2011 at 05:56 PM
    Totally agree with you. Texting while driving is really stupid. But talking while driving?! OK - if you ban that on the cell, then you will have to ban talking to passengers in your car, talking to your crying baby, singing to the radio, OH - and what about eating?
  • by BARBARA Location: MOREHEAD CITY on Feb 16, 2011 at 11:49 AM
    THE ONLY CALL A PERSON SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO MAKE FROM A MOVING VEHICLE IS TO 911.
  • by tank Location: cannon on Feb 16, 2011 at 10:12 AM
    Texting while driving should be banned no matter what. If you ban hands free capability then why not ban car radios? No matter what you mess with in your car while driving will be a distraction. The second you take your eyes off the road you put yourself and others at risk.
  • by Beth Location: Onslow on Feb 16, 2011 at 09:56 AM
    I was just out driving during lunch and the young woman & her passenger driving behind me were BOTH texting & talking to each other. I waited to see if the driver would put her phone down when the light changed from red to green. She didn't. She kept driving/texting/talking. I became nervous she was going to hit me when the car in front of me slowed down unexpectedly. I tried to get her plate # but surprise, her car didn't have one! She probably didn't have insurance either! I say pass the bill!
  • by ch on Feb 16, 2011 at 08:53 AM
    I think the handsfree thing should pass.
  • by RYAN Location: BETHEL on Feb 15, 2011 at 05:23 PM
    I THINK EVERYONE IS GETTING OFF TRACK AND MAKING IDIOTIC COMMENTS. THIS IS A GOOD THING. TALKING AND TEXTING ON A CELL WHILE DRIVING IS VERY DANGEROUS, BUT PEOPLE DO IT ALL THE TIME. THERE IS NOTHING THAT IMPORTANT AND THERE IS NOONE THAT YOU NEED TO TALK TO THE MINUTE YOU GET INTO YOUR CAR. WAIT UNTIL YOU GET TO WHERE YOU ARE GOING. I DROVE LAST WEEK 10 HOURS WITHOUT ONCE PICKING UP MY PHONE. PEOPLE WHO KNOW ME, WORK ALSO, KNOW THAT IF I AM DRIVING I DO NOT ANSWER MY PHONE. NOTHING IS THAT IMPORTANT THAT IT CANT WAIT UNTIL I AM STOPPED. I HOPE THIS BILL PASSES AND PASSES FAST.
  • by lisa Location: greenville on Feb 14, 2011 at 08:03 PM
    Democratic or Socialist Society? Nowadays, in America, who can tell the difference. You purchase a car with your money, but they give you a ticket if you choose not to wear a seatbelt. Your car, your belt, not the government's belt. Many people have died because they could not get out of locked seat belts.
  • by Alan on Feb 14, 2011 at 07:52 PM
    I can't understand why people have to run their mouths all the time anyway. They never shut up. Could it just be stupidity? Pass the law, shut them up for a while , and maybe all the hot air will help slow down global warming!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 115493139 - witn.com/a?a=115493139