President Barack Obama's Statement On Hanukkah

President Barack Obama has sent out a few words on Hanukkah.

The Jewish holiday begins this evening. It lasts eight days.

Below is the President's statement.

From President Barack Obama:

"Michelle and I send our warmest wishes to all those celebrating Hanukkah around the world.

This Hanukkah season we remember the powerful story of a band of believers who rose up and freed their people, only to discover that the oil left in their desecrated temple – which should have been enough for only one night – ended up lasting for eight.

It’s a timeless story of right over might and faith over doubt – one that has given hope to Jewish people everywhere for over 2,000 years. And tonight, as families and friends come together to light the menorah, it is a story that reminds us to count our blessings, to honor the sacrifices of our ancestors, and to believe that through faith and determination, we can work together to build a brighter, better world for generations to come.

From our family to the Jewish Community around the world, Chag Sameach."

(Chag Sameach means "joyous festival" in Hebrew.)

• by JJ on Dec 29, 2011 at 12:17 PM
    The dude was just being nice. People read to much into stuff. Who cares if he likes them or hates them. Take care of yourself.
  • by Bruce the Shark Location: Greenville on Dec 23, 2011 at 09:48 PM
    This is funny considering that Obama wants to abolish the State of Israel and give the land back to his arab brother and sisters. He has no love for the Jews just like the reverend J. Wright has no love for white people.
      by To BTS on Dec 24, 2011 at 09:31 AM in reply to Bruce the Shark
      You must have a shark brain and think we do to! Obama wants to abolish the State of Israel? Where did you get that trash from? There is no truth or basis for that statement at all? Do you just sit and think of the worst statements you can make without any regard for facts?
        by Bruce the Shark on Dec 28, 2011 at 03:35 PM in reply to To BTS
        He supported the revolt in Egypt led by the Brotherhood of Islam that is now killing Christians and trying to abolish Christianity in Egypt. He supports the Palastiens in trying to form their own country nad lay claim to the rest of Israel. The list can go on and on. Obama is no friend ot Christians.
          by Anonymous on Dec 29, 2011 at 08:14 AM in reply to Bruce the Shark
          This has been true for months now, I'm not surprised that ignorant ENC hasnt heard. Thank you for spreading the truth Bruce.
          by Anonymous on Dec 29, 2011 at 02:02 PM in reply to Bruce the Shark
          So he supported democracy? Exactly what is the problem with that? Would you not support a uprising in the United States if the government was absurdly oppressive?
          by Anonymous on Dec 31, 2011 at 05:10 AM in reply to Bruce the Shark
          Where are you living dude ! The people in Egypt were "oppressed" by a dictator. Any true blooded American would support a democracy. And the Brother hoos of Islam did not start this rebellion.Go get your facts "ignorant" ENC'ers. Wow some people only take in what they want based on thier hate.
      by Anonymous on Dec 31, 2011 at 05:33 AM in reply to Bruce the Shark
      Bruce, I thought Obama was a Kenyan...get you facts straight,,,,not an ARAB my friend ...you're full of lies and hate buddy ! It's showing through your lies
  • by Petey Pirate on Dec 23, 2011 at 05:22 AM
    As for me, I'm gonna drink my gin & tonica, & smoke my marijuanica, you all have a happy, happy, happy,happy Hanukkah.
  • by Lavon Location: Goldsboro on Dec 21, 2011 at 05:52 AM
    Since some people want to blame Obama for everything im waiting for someone to say he crucified Jesus
      by Kay on Dec 21, 2011 at 12:37 PM in reply to Lavon
      No but he is making a mockery of his teachings.
        by Lavon on Dec 21, 2011 at 03:14 PM in reply to Kay
        How so? I want you to give me detail and facts as to how exactly he making a mockery of Jesus. Remember I want facts and not foolish rhetoric like you just posted
        by Anonymous on Dec 22, 2011 at 12:18 AM in reply to Kay
        How did you come to that decision?
          by Obama Snake Oil co on Dec 22, 2011 at 11:06 AM in reply to
          So for starters, you didn't know that Obama had dems put abortion payed by taxpayer in Obamacare? Is that the first you heard of that or are you just playing stuipid?
          by and... on Dec 28, 2011 at 08:45 AM in reply to
          snake man hope you decorated your tinfoil hat for christmas or ah in your case hanukka.
          by To Snake on Dec 28, 2011 at 05:33 PM in reply to
          You can't justify policy with Scripture. There is a separation of church and state to consider. There are also many Christians that support a woman's right to choose. To take a moretrip cynical route that you can understand, how about we pay for the abortion now so that we don't have to pay for the child's government assistance for the next 18 years. I think we'll get out cheaoer.
      by Frank Sinatra on Dec 29, 2011 at 08:49 PM in reply to Lavon
      No Obama had nothing to do with that one. He could not he was on vaction when that happened.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 21, 2011 at 05:14 AM
    In the narrative of the 4 gospels after the betrayal and arrest of Jesus, he is taken to the Sanhedrin, a Jewish judicial body.Jesus is tried by the Sanhedrin, mocked & beaten & is condemned for making claims of being the SON Of GOD. He is then taken to Pilate & the Jewish elders ask Pilate to judge and condemn Jesus,accusing him of claiming to be the King of the Jews .After questioning, with few replies provided by Jesus, Pilate publicly declares that he finds Jesus innocent, but the Jews insists on punishment. Pilate then orders Jesus' crucifixion.The gospel accounts vary with respect to various details, they agree on the character & overall structure of the trials of Jesus.Today Jesus is rejected by the Jewish religion as the Savior of mankind and as their Messiah .
  • by Linda Location: NC on Dec 20, 2011 at 08:35 PM
    You people think Hussein is a Christian? I know of no Christian family who ever named their child Hussein? Do you?
      by 2 linda on Dec 21, 2011 at 05:14 AM in reply to Linda
      What's your point? No one chooses their name at birth. LOL..I don't really think a name has anything to do with being a Christian,although neither of Obama's parents were Chritians, a lot of non- Chritians choose names that would be anglo-saxon or africanpamerican names to day.
      by Anonymous on Dec 28, 2011 at 05:12 PM in reply to Linda
      Nope, they name 'em Bubba and Cleatus and Lula Mae and G.W. Seriously, get over the fact that his middle name is Hussien.
  • by doc on Dec 20, 2011 at 05:34 PM
    you people think bush was a christian only time he got religion was he was running for president.
      by Cindy on Dec 20, 2011 at 06:28 PM in reply to doc
      Doc - Why do people like you waste there time & revert to stupid talk?
        by Anonymous on Dec 31, 2011 at 05:16 AM in reply to Cindy
        I agree with you DOC..Bush used "religion" to get votes and then led our country against a nation that was not involved with Bin Laden killing thousands of innocent men,women and children. The first time in our history we have been an agrressor.
  • by Theresa Location: Bear Grass on Dec 20, 2011 at 05:05 PM
    I don't know who is using my name but I do not appreciate it. I have not been on the computer all day. I know there are other women named Theresa but I only know a few who spell it the same way I do and none of them live in Bear Grass (that I know of). If you really do spell it the same way as I do and live in the Bear Grass community, please use another name so we are not mixed up. I think you have some valid points but I want people to know which of us is blogging. Thank you. Merry Christmas to all.
      by BLAHammed on Dec 20, 2011 at 06:06 PM in reply to Theresa
      I was worried there for a minute.Making me sweat.I never knew anybody else could have that name that most of us have never heard of before.Maybe you should change it to Papreeka or something of that nature.
        by David on Dec 20, 2011 at 07:11 PM in reply to BLAHammed
        Another worthless comment.
          by Anonymous on Dec 21, 2011 at 07:48 PM in reply to David
          Kinda like yours?
      by Theresa on Dec 20, 2011 at 06:07 PM in reply to Theresa
      Why do I have to use another name?? Why don't you take initiative and choose a new one.
        by Theresa on Dec 20, 2011 at 07:05 PM in reply to Theresa
        I have always used my name and location. I have never seen the same before. People already know what I go by. So if you don't mind maybe you can use your middle name or put Martin Co. It can get awfully confusing when we have opposing views. Surely you can see how two people from the same place with the same name can be confusing at times.I know there are others with my name but you have not been using it. My husband doesn't believe you are using your own name that you are hiding behind my name....just use anonymous if you don't want people to know are afraid to stand on you own. I only ask because I have used my name for over a year and really don't want to change.
          by Theresa on Dec 21, 2011 at 03:57 PM in reply to Theresa
          I don't know who the two of YOU are, but MY name is Theresa. You should both pick something else.
          by Theresa on Dec 21, 2011 at 04:01 PM in reply to Theresa
          I could careless what your husband believes. And just a question... How can I be hiding behind your name, when my is Theresa too? Somethings a little off there, doncha' think?
          by Theresa on Dec 21, 2011 at 05:29 PM in reply to Theresa
          So you say your name is Theresa with an "h" and you live in Bear Grass and that you wrote the previous posts? Good..now that it is solved my friends and family know it is really you who is clueless. Thanks for clearing that up.
      by Formerly O.L.I. on Dec 20, 2011 at 06:20 PM in reply to Theresa
      I hear you. Go 'cryptic'. Choose a name others won't relate to.
        by Theresa on Dec 20, 2011 at 07:09 PM in reply to Formerly O.L.I.
        Formally O.L.I. you are right. My husband believes he knows who this is and her name is not Theresa. I will change. She will have to find someone else to hide behind. Thanks.
      by 40some on Dec 20, 2011 at 07:16 PM in reply to Theresa
      You could try Anonymous. Noone will confuse you for someone else with that one.
        by Chris on Dec 21, 2011 at 02:19 PM in reply to 40some
        Yeah 40, she could try using anonymous. BUT if she goes into a tizzy over someone using "Theresa" with "Bear Grass" as a location. Just imagine the coniption fit she would have over someone using "Anonymous" and "Bear Grass". She acts like she has trademark on Theresa from Bear Grass.
          by Anonymous on Dec 22, 2011 at 12:25 AM in reply to Chris
          Simple, use different names like snake oil does, then you can make posts to agree with yourself when nobody else will.
          by Obama Snake Oil co on Dec 22, 2011 at 11:13 AM in reply to Chris
          Well, it she goes as anonymous she will be lumped in to the typical libterd poster here. Most don't want us to know who they are since they are ashamed they voted for Obimbo. I think we can all understand that, I sure wouldn't want my friends or family knowing I voted for the 2008 Jimmy Carter retrun. Like the other Anonymous poster below...has no clue who is what, really having an identity problems and obviously, has a koolaid addiction. You can just tell the Obimbo voters....
  • by doc on Dec 20, 2011 at 04:25 PM
    hey its christmas who cares what i think or what u think be glad u are able to put some presents under your tree for your family and friends and a nice dinner for everyone to enjoy christmas day. leave the hate and anger of politics out of your hearts and be merry and love your neighbors and i will have a bourbon and egg nog for all the haters here. merry christmas and a happy new year
      by Anonymous on Dec 21, 2011 at 05:27 AM in reply to doc
      you too...and may GOD bless you ! hold of on the alcohol, to much and you'll ge the wrong spirit >>>LOL
  • by rapper Location: snow hill on Dec 20, 2011 at 04:20 PM
    So many bigoted,narrow minded, non-sensical responses unfortunately. Seems to be typical of many folks around here.
      by BLAHammed on Dec 20, 2011 at 04:53 PM in reply to rapper
      The truth sets people free that sees thing the way they are,not the way they wish them to be.Be right,see the light!
        by Tim on Dec 28, 2011 at 09:23 AM in reply to BLAHammed
        exactly free your mind....you posterior will follow

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 135923043 - witn.com/a?a=135923043