Politicians Tour Hard Hit Bertie County

Governor Beverly Perdue, U.S. Representative G.K. Butterfield and Senator Kay Hagan got a firsthand look at the devastation in Bertie County Monday.

The three toured the county where 11 people died in the storms and dozens of homes were destroyed. We talked to them to find out what is being done to help those impacted by the tornadoes.

Governor Perdue says, "I hope to have the emergency declaration from the federal government by Thursday--and that will allow us to come in to do the planning for where they're going to live."

Senator Hagan told us, "I'm confident that in the days to come we will be giving individual grants to families to help them heal."

Congressman Butterfield says, "I'm working with the governors office--the federal government--to get all and any federal assistance money that we can to help rebuild these communities in North Carolina."

Preliminary estimates show 67 homes were destroyed with another 15 to 20 damaged.

• by k on Apr 19, 2011 at 10:08 AM
    I am so sorry for everyones lose of life, lose of property, and lose of things......I wish I could help, but I will pray.
  • by I Fought the Law on Apr 19, 2011 at 09:09 AM
    Ah how nice....mama bev and aunt kay paid a visit and have made it all feel better.
  • by Cliff Location: Altoona, AL on Apr 19, 2011 at 08:31 AM
    I Hope That Bertie County Is Declared A Disaster Area So They Get The Help That They Need! I Hope That The Other Counties Hit By These Tornadoes Are Declared Disaster Areas As Well, They Need Help!!
  • by Anonymous on Apr 19, 2011 at 07:54 AM
    If you find a camera, you will find Bev Perdue.
  • by Anonymous on Apr 19, 2011 at 04:43 AM
    Of course the politians visited, it looks good to the media. They are a waste of time.
  • by Kevin Location: Williamston nc on Apr 18, 2011 at 06:54 PM
    My Grandfather built this house in 1935. My Mom was raised there, I was raised there, and I raised my kids there. I can't believe this happened.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 120151714 - witn.com/a?a=120151714