The Tar Heels will travel to Greenville Saturday to take on the Pirates, but Greenville Police are warning those not going to the game to avoid traveling some of the city's streets.
Kickoff is scheduled to take place at 8 p.m., but parking lots open at 2 p.m. Traffic is expected to be extremely heavy around Dowdy-Ficklen from early afternoon into the early morning hours Sunday.
Drivers should steer clear of the following streets around the stadium if they are not going to the game: Charles Blvd, Fourteenth Street, Elm Street and Greenville Blvd.
No traffic will be allowed west on 14th Street from Elm Street and east on 14th Street from West Rock Springs Road without a visible parking pass or 14th Street access pass. These closings and restrictions will take place 3 hours prior to the kick off time and will remain in effect until approximately 1 and 1/2 hours after the game is over.
The following traffic restrictions will be in place around 4 p.m. to expedite the flow of traffic leaving the game.
- No traffic will be allowed west on 14th Street from Elm Street. All traffic exiting from the C.M. Eppes parking lot will be diverted west on 14th Street and turn right onto College Hill Drive to 10th Street.
- All traffic exiting from Berkley Road will be diverted east onto 14th Street. 14th Street from Berkley Road to Elm Street will be eastbound traffic only. The center lane will be sent east on 14th Street crossing over Elm Street out to Greenville Blvd. and the right lane will turn right or south at Elm Street. Traffic leaving the stadium area on 14th Street will not be allowed to turn north on Elm Street. Traffic traveling south on Elm Street will have to go to Greenville Blvd. Turn around cut outs will be closed from 14th Street to Greenville Blvd.
- No traffic will be allowed east on 14th Street from West Rock Spring Road.
- Charles Blvd. will be closed to southbound traffic at 14th Street. All southbound traffic on Charles from 10th Street will be diverted west on 14th Street towards Evans Street.
- At Greenville Blvd. and Charles Blvd. no traffic will be allowed north on Charles Blvd. Traffic traveling north on Charles Blvd. from Red Banks Road will be diverted right onto Greenville Blvd.
- Traffic exiting the stadium area onto Charles Blvd. from the east side (Stadium Side) will have to travel north until they reach 14th Street. Traffic exiting onto Charles Blvd. from the west side (Carol Belk Building/Stratford Road side) will have to travel south until they reach Greenville Blvd. No U-turns will be allowed on Charles Blvd. from Greenville Blvd. north to 14th Street.
- A pedestrian walkway will be established for patrons leaving on Berkley Road. Pedestrians will need to stay within the established walkway on Berkley Road from Blackbeard's Alley (rear stadium entrance/exit) to the railroad tracks near 14th Street. Vehicle traffic will be exiting at the same time on the same route to 14th Street on the opposing side of the barricaded walkway.