Police Warn Drivers To Steer Clear Of ECU Stadium Traffic

The Tar Heels will travel to Greenville Saturday to take on the Pirates, but Greenville Police are warning those not going to the game to avoid traveling some of the city's streets.

Kickoff is scheduled to take place at 8 p.m., but parking lots open at 2 p.m. Traffic is expected to be extremely heavy around Dowdy-Ficklen from early afternoon into the early morning hours Sunday.

Drivers should steer clear of the following streets around the stadium if they are not going to the game: Charles Blvd, Fourteenth Street, Elm Street and Greenville Blvd.

No traffic will be allowed west on 14th Street from Elm Street and east on 14th Street from West Rock Springs Road without a visible parking pass or 14th Street access pass. These closings and restrictions will take place 3 hours prior to the kick off time and will remain in effect until approximately 1 and 1/2 hours after the game is over.

The following traffic restrictions will be in place around 4 p.m. to expedite the flow of traffic leaving the game.

- No traffic will be allowed west on 14th Street from Elm Street. All traffic exiting from the C.M. Eppes parking lot will be diverted west on 14th Street and turn right onto College Hill Drive to 10th Street.
- All traffic exiting from Berkley Road will be diverted east onto 14th Street. 14th Street from Berkley Road to Elm Street will be eastbound traffic only. The center lane will be sent east on 14th Street crossing over Elm Street out to Greenville Blvd. and the right lane will turn right or south at Elm Street. Traffic leaving the stadium area on 14th Street will not be allowed to turn north on Elm Street. Traffic traveling south on Elm Street will have to go to Greenville Blvd. Turn around cut outs will be closed from 14th Street to Greenville Blvd.
- No traffic will be allowed east on 14th Street from West Rock Spring Road.
- Charles Blvd. will be closed to southbound traffic at 14th Street. All southbound traffic on Charles from 10th Street will be diverted west on 14th Street towards Evans Street.
- At Greenville Blvd. and Charles Blvd. no traffic will be allowed north on Charles Blvd. Traffic traveling north on Charles Blvd. from Red Banks Road will be diverted right onto Greenville Blvd.
- Traffic exiting the stadium area onto Charles Blvd. from the east side (Stadium Side) will have to travel north until they reach 14th Street. Traffic exiting onto Charles Blvd. from the west side (Carol Belk Building/Stratford Road side) will have to travel south until they reach Greenville Blvd. No U-turns will be allowed on Charles Blvd. from Greenville Blvd. north to 14th Street.
- A pedestrian walkway will be established for patrons leaving on Berkley Road. Pedestrians will need to stay within the established walkway on Berkley Road from Blackbeard's Alley (rear stadium entrance/exit) to the railroad tracks near 14th Street. Vehicle traffic will be exiting at the same time on the same route to 14th Street on the opposing side of the barricaded walkway.

• by Where Is Greenville? on Sep 29, 2011 at 08:27 PM
    I haven't been to Greenville since 2000. I don't think I've ever go again. I live 65 miles away. I've been to Raleigh (125 miles away) 30 times to go shopping in the last 10 years. I worked in Greenville between 1998-2000. No thanks!
      by Anonymous on Sep 30, 2011 at 06:18 AM in reply to Where Is Greenville?
      Congratlations! You were able to use the term "I", or a variant, in every sentence but the abbreviated conclusion! "I" think that you think way too highly of your "I".
  • by Dave Location: Greenville on Sep 29, 2011 at 05:06 PM
    The reason Greenville police are warning people about traffic being heavy is because of all the NCAA rule committee buses that will be following the holes into town. They take three buses everywhere the holes go to keep up with the infractions.
  • by Debra on Sep 29, 2011 at 04:18 PM
    Oh another thing what are all those cops going to do when they have people riding right by them that have been tailgaiting and KNOW THEY ARE DRUNK are they going to stop them ohhhh no why would they do that it was all for a football game hope no one get killed going home after all that partying yeahhh go ecu you people party on
  • by ME Location: TOO on Sep 29, 2011 at 12:49 PM
    go ECU
  • by Victor Location: Greenville on Sep 29, 2011 at 11:38 AM
    Imo, game day is a pain but a pain that can be avoided. Thanks WITN for informing us of the route changes; otherwise, I would not have known.
  • by Really??? Location: Williamston on Sep 29, 2011 at 11:18 AM
    Some of you will simply gripe over anything. It's football season here in the good ole USA. So stop acting like the world revolves around you and your little inconveniences for six Saturday's this Fall.
  • by Anonymous on Sep 29, 2011 at 11:03 AM
    I agree with NOTEXCITED you know folks everyone as you can see are not PIRATE fans for the ones of you that are hope you enjoy the jammed up traffic when there are games some of us do not and for those that say well just stay out of Greenville well some people have to work for a living and work 5 days a week and only have saturday and sunday to do errands I think they should move the whole dang college out in the county somewhere so Greenville wont be so jammed up!!
      by Sam on Sep 29, 2011 at 11:56 AM in reply to
      Well if you think ECU should be moved out in the county and out of Greenville, it sounds like you should go do your errands somewhere else, like Washington, Williamston, or Rocky Mount.
        by Anonymous on Sep 29, 2011 at 01:14 PM in reply to Sam
        I live in Greenville why would I want to do that oh yeah because ECU rules Greenville and everyone regardless has to accomidate them got a kick out of them talking to the ball players the other weekend some cant even speak plain english
          by Anonymous on Sep 29, 2011 at 02:44 PM in reply to
          ... on the other hand... some can't write English either...!
      by Fan on Sep 29, 2011 at 12:46 PM in reply to
      Well that is completely realistic.
      by John on Sep 29, 2011 at 01:03 PM in reply to
      Do you not realize what greenville would be without ecu? Go any business owner, oh and go ask the 5,000 people that work there. This town would be nothing but about 20,000 people tops and thats with the 7,000 that work with the hospital. Just think about it just for a moment, I know it's hard but I believe in you!
        by anon on Sep 29, 2011 at 03:37 PM in reply to John
        Hospital wouldnt even be half the size it is without ECU! Have to think most of the physicans are part of ECU.
        by Anonymous on Sep 29, 2011 at 04:16 PM in reply to John
        It's already a known fact that out of all the people that work for ecu half of them should be canned because THEY DONT DO ANYTHING I have talked to people that work there and they have told me that and I personally know of someone that works there that takes every advantage they can to NOT SHOW UP TO WORK and guess what she still get paid imagine that
          by Anonymous Jr. on Sep 29, 2011 at 06:20 PM in reply to
          It's also a "known fact" that the written English language has a known commodity called sentence structure and this new device termed "a period" (please refer to the very last entry of this sentence for an example of such). "Guess what"? WITN allows people to post here that cannot even write a legible sentence, "imagine that".
  • by G on Sep 29, 2011 at 10:35 AM
    Now that most parking has been eliminated from the same side of the street as the stadium, I think it's time to invest in an overhead crosswalk for 2 reasons: (1) pedestrian safety (2) so traffic on one of the major N/S traffic routes in Greenville doesn't get backed up so bad. This overhead crosswalk will also be useful for baseball games, so it would get used more than 6 times a year.
      by Victor on Sep 29, 2011 at 11:42 AM in reply to G
      I'm not an engineer but the overhead crosswalk sounds like a reasonable suggestion to me. Helpful for graduations, as well?
  • by NOTEXCITED on Sep 29, 2011 at 10:02 AM
    To LOL:
    I am a university graduate with a masters in Psychology with 12 years of experience married for 15 years to a police officer with twin sons and two adopted daughters from China that we saved from a life that would have been most unfortunate. I would consider myself quite a bit more than a social misfit with an unfulling life. Thank you for your diagnosis of my personality based on a post I made, that does not agree with your opinion. Have a great day.
      by LOL on Sep 29, 2011 at 10:28 AM in reply to NOTEXCITED
      Since you mentioned your "personality" and have a master's degree in psychology... here is my further assesment... Axis II. You have a great day too.
      by Fan on Sep 29, 2011 at 10:38 AM in reply to NOTEXCITED
      Sounds like LOL struck a nerve. You had no problem "diagnosing" (more like judging) the fans at the game so if you can dish it out you should be able to take it. Sounds ridiculous to be upset about 6 days out of the year. Where is the outrage over the various parades or the fireworks display on the 4th? Oh that's right, some people will complain about anything dealing with ECU.
        by Sam on Sep 29, 2011 at 11:55 AM in reply to Fan
        Fan, those people that will complain about anything ECU related are just jealous losers who can't afford to go to any football games or to get an education there.
          by Jamie on Sep 29, 2011 at 01:33 PM in reply to Sam
          Personally, my checkbook can afford to get all of the ECU players into a professional game. My question is, why spend money to watch your team lose? You know it's going to happen. "Oh, we beat UAB". No, the officials beat UAB on their last touchdown (which wasn't counted). And before you start crying "what school did you go to?", it's Cornell University. I didn't have to pay to go there because I was smart enough to be an academic scholar. But that's another story.
          by Fan on Sep 29, 2011 at 02:36 PM in reply to Sam
          Well first Jamie, only fair weather fans root for a team only when it is winning. Second that was no touchdown as his foot never touched the ground and as far as refs go we deserve a call here and there given the obvious bias we usually have to deal with. Third since ECU has far from a 100% losing record there is no way you can say we are going to lose for sure. Personally I and a lot of other pirate fans think we have a fair chance to win and the games are fun no matter what. As the internet meme says "Haters gonna hate". Hope you and your checkbook have a nice Saturday being miserable at others fun.
          by Jamie on Sep 30, 2011 at 01:40 AM in reply to Sam
          Fan, you must be an ECU student or graduate. I can see this by your sentence structure. That being said, I know each and every fan enjoys a victory no matter how tainted. I understand your loyalty to a half-mediocre team at best. Every 4 or 5 years, ECU might actually get someone who can play (granted they don't get arrested). I believe me and my checkbook will have a fantastic time with the big screen. Enjoy your hangover in the traffic jam.
        by Anonymous on Sep 29, 2011 at 12:21 PM in reply to Fan
        Ok so that was someone elso who made a post under the name NOTEXICITED, because you sound way different in this post. If you have a masters in Psychology then you know your post earlier was just to start trouble...please don't teach your kids this lesson.
  • by UNC SEASON PASS on Sep 29, 2011 at 09:47 AM
    This is exactly why I sold my tickets to this game. It's not worth my time coming to such a hole in the ground town to get held up in so much chaos. "Mediocre" well said! Oh, and I've been in Chapel Hill on game day....for MANY years. It's nothing like the crap I've dealt with I'm Greenville. And if you don't want your fans referred to as "a bunch of drunks", you may not want to be so proud of being such a party school. GO HEELS!!
      by unc ticket holder on Sep 29, 2011 at 03:57 PM in reply to UNC SEASON PASS
      unc is just as bad... there rep is not very good right now either maybe u should not have commented at all

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 130767813 - witn.com/a?a=130767813