UPDATE: Police Offer Reward In Rocky Mount Murder Case

By: April Davis
By: April Davis

Rocky Mount Police are offering a $2500 reward for information leading to the arrest of the person(s) responsible for the homicide of 18- year-old Shakeem Avent 5 weeks ago.

Police say April 13th at about 7:40 p.m, they received calls in reference to shots fired in the 200 block of Lee St. and a vehicle accident in which the driver of a burgundy Cadillac allegedly collided with a white BMW and then collided with a brick wall at the corner of Sunset Avenue and Lee Street. Police arrived to find he driver of the Cadillac, Shakeem Avent, had been shot. He died at the scene. The driver of the BMW did not require medical attention. Avent's cause of death was attributed to a fatal gunshot wound.

If anyone has information on this crime, contact RMPD at 972-1411, Crime Stoppers at 977-1111 or crimestoppers@rockymountnc.gov.

PREVIOUS STORY:
The Rocky Mount Police Department is looking for two persons of interest in the shooting death of a teen in Rocky Mount.

Police are looking for 20-year-old Antonio Richardson and 21-year-old James Rainey Jr. in the homicide case of Shakeem Avent.

Richardson has an outstanding warrant for his arrests for possession of marijuana unrelated to the homicide case. Police say the men may be in a burgundy Honda Accord.

If you know where these two men are, police ask you to contact them at 972-1411 or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 977-1111.

Previous Story:

Rocky Mount Police are looking for who killed a teenager found dead in his car after reports of shots being fired.

Police say about 7:40 Wednesday night, police responded to shots fired in the 200 block of Lee Street. They also received call about a car crash between a white BMW and a burgundy Cadillac. Police say the Cadillac hit a brick wall at the corner of Sunset Avenue and Lee Street.

Police found the driver of the Cadillac, 18-year-old Shakeem Avent, was shot. He died at the scene. The driver of the BMW was not injured.

Rocky Mount Police are investigating Avent's death as a homicide.

• by anon Location: newbern on May 18, 2011 at 11:19 PM
    Now that the terminator is single and out of work, maybe he could help RM !
  • by lily Location: greenville on May 18, 2011 at 09:03 PM
    Are these the two suspects or is one a suspect and one a victim?
  • by lily Location: greenville on May 18, 2011 at 09:01 PM
    Didn't the James Richardson trial discuss a cadillac and a white BMW?
  • by Dave Location: Netherealm on May 18, 2011 at 06:58 PM
    Up it to $3500 and then I will talk.
  • by the truth on Apr 15, 2011 at 02:16 PM
    It wouldn't be a stereotype if there wasn't some truth to it. The shame is people that ignore and suppress the truth.
  • by FACT on Apr 15, 2011 at 12:35 PM
    Statistics show that 10% of the population commit 80% of crime. It's just a fact.
      by Anonymous on Apr 15, 2011 at 04:39 PM in reply to FACT
      WHAT?? 10% of the population can commit 100% of the crimes OR 80% etc...
  • by Anonymous on Apr 15, 2011 at 08:23 AM
    Ashley, you have a very good post. This is the way we should all think, but I, and a lot of other people seem to jump on the band wagon. I think it is because we are all confused and do not know what to do to change the way of senseless crime.
      by Ashley on Apr 18, 2011 at 06:29 AM in reply to
      I agree.
  • by Educated Black Male Location: Greenville on Apr 15, 2011 at 07:06 AM
    Back at it again huh. I'd like to take the time to first give my condolences to the families involved. The world is becoming a very cold place. With less jobs and opportunity available, crime will continue to sky-rocket. Some of you high and mighty Witn bloggers may even have a family member who steps off the "law-abiding taxpayer" wagon in order to feed the ones they love. As for the "racist cyber thugs", you are merely a joke to me. It's obvious to me that you are scared of those you do not understand. I am a black man that wears suits and ties, but when I'm in public you still show me your obvious fear by putting your head down, walking out of my way, or even clutching your purse. This goes to show that you're prejudice, no matter how I choose to live my life. Sticks and stones may break my bones, but you don't have the gall to say it in my face. Keep living in fear...I'm comfortable. :) BTW, I am not a supporter of the NAACP or any of those other clowns. I speak for myself! Thanks...
      by Edith on Apr 15, 2011 at 08:12 AM in reply to Educated Black Male
      Very well stated! Folks, this post proves that anyone can make a success of his life if he chooses to. It's there for you if you are willing to work hard for it, and this applies to whites and blacks alike! Parents, push your children to succeed and make a better life for themselves. Education is the key!
      by J.M.M on Apr 15, 2011 at 08:18 AM in reply to Educated Black Male
      Amen brother, amen. Im also an educated black male and Im at peace with the fact that no matter how well we speak, dress, or interact, we will never be seen as an equal. As a matter of fact, that is our problem, we have given "them" more attention than they deserve. Weve always tried to assimilate and get along. We have to be twice as good, educated, or skilled, just to begin at an entry level. No other community endures that. Asians, Hispanics, or others, never have to endure our burdens. Why? Because "they" think they understand us enough. Other minorities will stamp their mark in society with or without assimilated "approval." That is where we went wrong. Now, we have a failed community, with the wretched down trodden by products of broken members of our community.
      by WOW! on Apr 15, 2011 at 08:18 AM in reply to Educated Black Male
      I nearly always agree with your posts, but I am not feeling this one. I am a white male. I do not discount your take on your social interactions. I do disagree with this idea of fear = racism. Life is too short and there are far too many crazy individuals out there. I will tell you this, every time I have been approached by a black male in public it has been about money and the person was drunk and it has been broad daylight. Most times I help the person out if I can. After a while these social interactions start to erode your senses to a point of avoidance. Life is precious and delicate to me and the older I get the more resounding this idea is to me. I try not to avoid anyone, but sometimes it's just the smartest thing to do. I would rather be a momentary living coward than a dead tough guy. Just my opinion.
        by Educated Black Male on Apr 15, 2011 at 09:09 AM in reply to WOW!
        @(WOW! on Apr 15, 2011 at 11:18AM) I hope that I did not offend you. However, my comment simply suggests that; lack of understanding can lead to fear, which is then acted out through racist/prejudice behaviors. Please quote the entire equation, not just the portion that makes you feel uncomfortable. I DO NOT JUDGE OTHERS, I SIMPLY OBSERVE THE SIGNS, HAVE FAITH, PRAY, AND DO GOOD WORKS! ALL WILL FALL SHORT OF THE GLORY OF GOD.
          by WOW! on Apr 15, 2011 at 09:36 AM in reply to Educated Black Male
          Yeah - I follow you. I'm not offended. In fact, I hate that word. My thoughts were simply a rebuttal nothing more, nothing less. I respect your opinion on this topic and others. I was merely trying to provide the other side of the argument. In terms of "lack of understanding", I think you are wrong. The onus of understanding is a two-way street. With all the violent crime perpetrated by members of the AA community in the past few months in this small area has understandably left folks on edge. If some well meaning black folks are avoided - they can blame the people perpetrating the action as well as the community that perpetuates a lack of personal accountability and acts of senseless violence. Thanks for responding - I would like to know your thoughts on this as well.
        by Educated Black Male on Apr 15, 2011 at 10:34 AM in reply to WOW!
        @(Wow! on Apr 15, 2011 at 12:09PM), I would be more than happy to "agree to disagree" with you on this topic. Let's take a look at the two-way street. I encounter prejudice behavior from the "white community" on a daily basis without cause. Your principle is telling me that it is o.k. to harden my heart, become racist, or even bitter towards the entire "white community" because of a handful of ignorant residents in the area. I do not, instead I take the high road of understanding that those ignorant individuals from that race do not represent the entire white race. Through this understanding, I remain a non-racist individual, despite the negative daily encounters. If I followed your understanding and reasoning, there is no doubt in my mind that these encounters would make me prejudice against the white race. If you don't understand the situation, you will never "over-stand" this matter. Meaning, we should all just get over it, re-direct our youth, re-build or education system, and ultimately re-build our wonderful nation.
          by WOW! on Apr 15, 2011 at 11:38 AM in reply to Educated Black Male
          You're getting bent out of shape over a look or body language... what I'm talking about are facts regarding the disproportionate number of young black male youths committing violent acts at an astounding rate. High road or whatever - I'm trying to be real. Yes, we do have scum bags in the white race as well - we do not defend them though either. This is what I do not get in the AA community - why are these actions and these boys defended at all costs? I know from reading your previous posts on other articles you generally do not.. by why with others? Agree to disagree - fine by me.
      by lol on Apr 15, 2011 at 09:38 AM in reply to Educated Black Male
      avoiding thugs is not racist!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        by Vickie on Apr 15, 2011 at 12:28 PM in reply to lol
        Stereotyping has sure kept me out of some tights spots before,I am quiet sure!
        by Anonymous on Apr 15, 2011 at 04:41 PM in reply to lol
        AMEN! I do not duck or get out of their way either and will fear them not however I watch my back with the gang punks...if it looks like, smells like, probably is....
      by Bruce the Shark on Apr 15, 2011 at 06:41 PM in reply to Educated Black Male
      To quote Jesse Jackson, "There is nothing more painful for me at this stage in my life,” Jesse Jackson said several years ago, “than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery—and then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved.” Coming from one of the leaders of the black community.
      by Lee on May 19, 2011 at 06:05 AM in reply to Educated Black Male
      I am a white female. I want to describe to you a situation where a (well dressed) black man thought I was acting in a racist manner. I took my elderly, sometimes confused mother to the grocery store. We were coming out of the store to the parking lot. She is slow and fiddles with her money and her wallet. A black man came up quickly from behind us, I took her arm and moved her along and told her to put her money in her wallet and wait until we were in the car to check her money and receipt. The man behind us was offened and cursed accusing me of thinking all black men are trying to steal. If it had been a white man my reaction would be the same. Protecting my mother from possible abuse/crime is my resposibility. I felt sterotyped because this man thought I was a racist because of my actions. I am not a racist and I think my life proves that.
  • by Anon on Apr 15, 2011 at 06:30 AM
    Have the Police checked their places of employment? Maybe they can find them there.
  • by Kannonballz Location: Greenville on Apr 15, 2011 at 06:02 AM
    It's just hard to believe these two guys are persons of interest in a murder investigation,they look like two upstanding members of the greater Rocky Mount area. "Change we all can believe in".

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 119817509 - witn.com/a?a=119817509