Police Investigate Bank Card Breach At Greenville Store

A number of customers who used their credit and debit card information at one store in the east may want to check their statements after an apparent breach in the system sent credit card information to an unknown location.

One of those alleged victims--Kate Ford--says she used her debit card to buy books at the University Book Exchange or U.B.E store in Greenville about two weeks ago. This past weekend she discovered several fraudulent charges on her account. She says several of her friends who also shopped at the business had their banking information stolen, with transactions from Florida on their accounts.

U.B.E. owner Don Edwards says while they have always had a high level of security, they have taken even more measures to make the system secure. Edwards says this is the first such incident like this since they started taking credit cards about 40-years ago.

Ford tells us her bank refunded the money.

Greenville police financial fraud investigators say they're working with outside agencies to determine where this breach started. They say they're not ruling out that it could have started here in the area.

• by ECU Student Location: Greenville on Feb 17, 2011 at 06:03 PM
    I have had fraudulent transactions on my Higher One card since I bought my textbooks from UBE in mid-January. Almost $2400 was spent in one day from my account, and it was all in California. Most of the transactions were made at Walmart. I was told that I had to call and leave a message for the detective handling this at the Greenville Police Department. His answering machine says it could be 5 days before he calls me back. Therefore, I have not been able to file a police report, but I have already contacted Higher One. They said it could be up to 90 days before I get my money back (if I get it back). So how am I supposed to pay rent for the next three months?!
  • by C Location: Greenville on Feb 11, 2011 at 10:35 AM
    Found out yesterday that I had $1,600 dollars spent in the NYC Macy's on cosmetics. I hope they catch these people. How terrible is it to steal from college students.... I hope Higher One deals with this ASAP!!!!
  • by Leah McCray Location: Greenville on Feb 9, 2011 at 05:51 PM
    I am also in the same situation as most of you and your children. I have contacted the police department the news, and Higher One and have seen what East Carolina Financial Aid has to say about this situation. There is nothing for us to do is wait 10-90 days for this dispute process to resolve this issue and I asked Higher One if they thought a gradual process would help students that have little to no funds survive up to 3 months and why havent they taken further measures to stop or prevented an issue they surely found out about when there call center started recieving complaints. The response I got after speaking to many representatives was they dont know about it and cant take measures to send out notifications even though this is a campus/greenville wide issue. I was told that Higher One has to be notified by the store that this security breach took place and notified before they can notify there customers. I am disgusted with UBE, ECU and Higher One in this matter!
  • by Anonymous Location: Greenville on Feb 9, 2011 at 01:20 PM
    This happened to me too on Saturday the 5th! I am so disgusted that further action has not taken place,either by UBE, Higher One, or ECU! I am out of $1500 and what am I supposed to do about my rent,groceries,gas, and etc?? I need some answers! I would not buy at UBE, only if you want to go BROKE! I'm so upset!!!
  • by Anonymous on Feb 8, 2011 at 06:36 PM
    This happened to me too, I noticed $2,450 dollars taken from my account today, What I'm I going to do?? someone tell me ..
  • by Robert Location: Greenville on Feb 8, 2011 at 08:12 AM
    This is an ongoing problem, I just lost $700 due to fraudulent charges being made in California on February 7, 2011. The charges are currently "pending" and I can't make my car ins. pmt. I was told that it could take anywhere from 10-90 days to get the money back. The data was apparently not encrypted sufficiently and I am discussing legal action over this matter. 2 other students in my class (total of 7 students) also had their accounts stolen from. This is a widespread problem at ECU. I will be contacting the police department and media over the issue as well and urging fellow students to do the same to draw attention to the business practices of UBE. I understand retailers wanting to store this information to protect themselves from returns schemes but this should not come at the cost of compromising the security of your customer base. Until I see evidence that the policies have been changed and action has been taken on behalf of students I urge you all to buy elsewhere.
  • by Don from Higher One Location: New Haven on Feb 2, 2011 at 09:22 AM
    Thanks for your comments. Higher One is actively working with ECU to ensure that we are here to help any students who are concerned about the security of their account or who have observed unauthorized transactions connected with their OneAccounts. ECU Card holders have always been protected by Higher One’s Zero Liability Policy (https://ecucard.higheroneaccount.com/info/outsecuritypolicy.jsp) against fraudulent or unauthorized transactions. If you see that your account has been subject to unauthorized purchases, please call the number on the back of your card immediately. For more information, please visit the ECU Card website (https://ecucard.higheroneaccount.com/info/marketing/securityfeatures.jsp).
  • by Andrew Location: Greenville on Feb 1, 2011 at 02:23 PM
    My account was compromised. I had $400 taken out and am left with only $75. Higher One is not helping at all because these charges are "still pending". I compare this to a cop letting a thief steal before arresting him and not before. Other card companies have already deemed these charges to be fraudulent and Higher One is the only card company that is making students jump through hoops just to get their money back. The current process could take 90 days, however I have $200 due in bills next week. I am very concerned that I cannot do anything about this and Higher One is making me play by their corrupt rules. I wonder what MasterCard and Bancorp would say? I wonder what our congressmen would say when they find out that Federal Student Aid has been stolen and this company is not offering any kind of assistance to students other than "wait 90 days and maybe you'll get it back".
  • by Parent Too Location: Burlington, NC on Jan 31, 2011 at 06:35 PM
    I agree with Parent, Sandy, and k. My son just found out about this today! He was ripped off for $2300 from his Higher One card. It takes a lot of time to dispute those multiple transactions one by one, and there were many - all in Canada. I agree that Mr. Edwards did not do enough for the students on wich his business depends. I also think that ECU should be doing more to help these students. Nobody is making a big enough deal about this. For all we know the thief may be making off with millions.
  • by K Location: greenville on Jan 31, 2011 at 11:02 AM
    Don Edwards didn't notify ECU or anyone else, it was discovered when one of the students went public.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 114687114 - witn.com/a?a=114687114