UPDATE: Pitt County Town Votes Down Sewer Project Again

Voters rejected the project Tuesday 98 votes to 75.

Voters had already voted down the project n November, but the town council decided to hold the special election. The mayor of Simpson says the town has $3.1 million in grant funding for the sewer project and was applying to get an additional $2.7 million.

Simpson residents would have had to pay a one-time $150 connection fee, plus a monthly sewer bill estimated at about $45.

• by Villager Location: Simpson on Apr 27, 2011 at 09:23 AM
    I proudly voted NO. I moved to Simpson to get away from the city. I was told by the "mayor" that change and growth was coming whether I like it or not. HAHA in his face...change isn't coming anytime soon! Way to go Simpson naysayers! BIG THANKS TO THE TOWNSPEOPLE WHO WORKED SO HARD TO INFORM THE COMMUNITY!!!!
  • by anon on Apr 26, 2011 at 10:55 PM
    I'm surprised some neighborhoods like cherry oaks haven't been annexed. My septic works just fine, although eastern pines water rates are high, I'll take not paying city taxes over sewer lines anyday.
  • by Fish on Apr 26, 2011 at 07:47 PM
    OK the voters have one more job and that is to relieve all the councilmen from there duties next election! it just amazes me that these counsel people will not listen to the voters who elect them, time for a change in Simpson and any other town where the elected officials don't listen to the voters.
  • by KW Location: Simpson, NC on Apr 26, 2011 at 07:09 PM
    I wonder when the next vote will be, lol.
      by w.e. on Apr 26, 2011 at 08:42 PM in reply to KW
      hopefully the next vote will be to not vote for the councilmen we have now
  • by No Rubes Here on Apr 26, 2011 at 06:32 PM
    I've Been through the same thing Simpson faces.... which is annexing. Greenville water and sewer lines are the first steps a city takes when they want to annex a part of a different town. It doesn't matter if annexing hasn't been proposed, that part comes ofter all the lines are in place. I'm very happy to see this project got a majority NO vote from the residents of Simpson!
  • by Gland Location: Grimesland on Apr 26, 2011 at 06:24 PM
    45 dollars a month! thats what they said Grimeslands water sewer was going to be,well I'm paying 75 dollars a month and our sewer is pumped to Greenville so they have total control of what the prices are, they have been raising the prices every year. how will Simpson control there sewer if they dint provide water to? so the sewer bill is 45 dollars and Eastern pines water 30 dollars, thats 75 dollars? good move voters.
  • by jason Location: williamston on Apr 26, 2011 at 06:04 PM
    I AM PROUD OF THE CITIZENS OF SIMPSON. YOU TOLD THE GOVT. TO SHOVE IT. REMEMBER GRANT MONEY IS NOTHING BUT TAXES YOU AND I PAY. THE GOVT. PRODUCES NOTHING, ALL THEY HAVE,AND WASTE, IS TAXES YOU AND I PAY. ANY THING FREE CAN NO LONGER BE AFFORDED BY THE WORKING CLASS. THANK YOU SIMPSON.
  • by to curious on Apr 26, 2011 at 06:00 PM
    Maps and other project information were posted on the Village of Simpson website. I hate this was voted down. What a shame. This really was a wonderful opportunity wasted. The Village will never again recieve this type of offer.
  • by curious on Apr 26, 2011 at 05:05 PM
    does anyone know if there's a map to outline exactly what areas would be included? glad it was voted down anyway.
  • by neigh Location: pitt on Apr 26, 2011 at 07:40 AM
    If the sewer system passes, don't try and tell us smart ones, that you don't have on your mind already, that you will intend to annex. That's just crazy! Your intent is there to do just that!!! Simpson residents: Vote NO!!!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 120686064 - witn.com/a?a=120686064