Pitt County Student, Foster Father Facing Weapon Charges

A student at North Pitt High School and his foster father are in trouble with the law after deputies say the teen brought multiple weapons to school.

David Vanheeren is charged with two counts of felony possession of a firearm on educational property, two counts of carrying a concealed weapon, and felony possession with intent to sell/distribute a counterfeit controlled substance.

Deputies say the 17-year-old brought four knives and a gun to school on Wednesday. Authorities say a Crime Stoppers tip led to his arrest.

Pitt County Sheriff's Office spokesperson Christy Wallace says the student also had a tube of an unknown white substance that is being analyzed.

Vanheeren's foster father, Chadwick Brown of Bethel, was charged with failure to store a firearm from a minor.

The student is jailed on a $35,000 bond.

Previous Story

A Pitt County school student is under arrest after the sheriff's office says he brought weapons to campus.

The sheriff's office arrested the 17-year-old North Pitt student Wednesday afternoon after they say he brought four knives and a gun to school.

Wallace says a CrimeStoppers tip led to the arrest.

The sheriff's office has not detailed the exact charges.

• by Gracie's mom Location: Greenville on Mar 5, 2011 at 05:42 PM
    Brooke brings up an interesting point: If the boy is charged as an adult (and had his picture and name published), should the father be accountable for not controlling the 'child'?
  • by Brooke Location: Greenville on Mar 4, 2011 at 01:27 PM
    I think it is ridiculous they are charging the foster father. First of all, the "kid" is almost an adult and definitely capable of making wrong/right decisions. The fact that this man is his foster father also says something. My brother has access to guns and he is 12 years old BUT he was raised to respect them and wouldn't touch them without permission. This "kid" could have been staying with the father for a week for all we know. You can charge him as an adult in other cases, it should be the same way here.
  • by You heard that Location: Bethel on Mar 4, 2011 at 12:58 PM
    All I can say also is I was a student and North Pitt and to this day I will take my child all the way out there and back just for him or her to go to a wonderful school. I loved North Pitt and enjoyed every minute out there. U know its a shame that when one does wrong out at North Pitt everyone is always like North Pitt is bad, but when one does wrong at Rose or Conley its like that person has done nothing wrong. So everyone that went to Rose or Conley I hate to say it but almost everyone there thinks that they are made of something. I had friends from Conley and Rose but not the STUCK UP ones. So just because North Pitt is on the other side of the river doesnt mean its a bad school. All I can say is get over yourselves. This young man is a very good boy and has loving parents and I stand by them as much as I can. Anything else to say go ahead, cause I am ready to come back at ya.
  • by NP Student on Mar 4, 2011 at 11:03 AM
    To all of yall saying NP is a bad school and things stop! Because NP is a great school with great people.
  • by Parent Location: Bethel on Mar 4, 2011 at 09:49 AM
    Like I said in the last post if you do not know the fact or the child then you don't need to say a thing. If you don't know what he has been around in his life then you can not talk about him. Yes, I will stand behind my child, he was not out to hurt anyone. Yes, he is 17 but he thinks like a 12 or 13 yr old. that is not to say that he acts before he thinks. David has been in my house for the last 1 1/2 yrs and has grown so much in that time. In till you are in the same boat with your child then you can not say a thing about what has happened. You love your child with Unconditional love no matter what he/she does. If you can not say that you love your child if he/she is right or wrong then you have no heart for kids. Yes, David will have to pay for what he has done that is not what my point was. It was if you don't know that whole story then you don't need to point fingers.
  • by Fed Up Location: Greenville on Mar 4, 2011 at 07:47 AM
    To 'to parent, B, and Annoyed': Where did 'Parent' say that this kid should not be punished because of his actions??? Of course he should be punished. I personally know him and he is a decent kid that did make a serious mistake. The manner in which he was raised contributed 100% to the person he is today. His foster parents have tried everything in their power to provide a stable family life for him and it was working. Still, teenagers are prone to lack sound judgement and in David's case he certainly did. And yes, he and his fostor family will be paying for it for the rest of their lives. I'm praying for this family.
  • by me Location: your neighbor on Mar 4, 2011 at 05:14 AM
    To "Pray" you're stupid! Sorry about that. I pray you find that true love. I pray that you love your parents. I pray that you live life to the fullest. I pray that you love your children everyday and that they'll love you back. I pray that you'll be content with your choices. I pray that you never have to suffer tough consquences and that God will have mercy on you and your family.
  • by To Pray? on Mar 4, 2011 at 04:16 AM
    I really do feel sorry for you & I pray that God will continue to bless you & your children cause that's what He's been doing all along. He & His guidance is the only reason you have the parenting skills to raise your children to be good people. One day you will pray long & hard before you leave this earth. And you know what...God will hear you. As for the other comments about this boy, yes he has broken the law. Yes he deserves to be punished for that just like we all should be if we break the law. But I do believe that if he has the proper guidance he will turn his life around. I have learned that there are usually 2 sides to every story. Did this boy feel threatened? Was he being bullied? Not making excuses because he never should have taken any weapon to school. But people do things when they are scared or angry that they otherwise wouldn't do. I am praying for this young life & hope that whatever misery has been in his life will be vanquished by our loving Father.
  • by To Parent on Mar 4, 2011 at 03:27 AM
    So he's not responsible for his actions because he had a "hard" life? A mistake is running a stop sign, or forgetting the milk. Prosecute him and get him some help.
  • by B Location: NC on Mar 3, 2011 at 08:29 PM
    Oh no, not the "I had a hard life excuse"...get over it!!!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 117281143 - witn.com/a?a=117281143