Pitt County Set Up Mosquito Hotline

By: April Davis
By: April Davis

People all across the east have seen an explosion in the mosquito population since Hurricane Irene.

It's so bad in Pitt County, officials have set up a mosquito hotline for people to call with questions about the pests. They said they had to set up the line because they're getting so many calls about mosquitoes.

The hotline number is (252) 902-3220. People can leave their name, number and address. If they want a return call, they can leave times they're available. Otherwise, their information will be recorded and vector control will follow up.

• by SE Location: Winterville, NC on Sep 25, 2011 at 07:49 PM
    South Ridge neighborhood is in dire need of mosquito spraying!!! The left over rain and puddles from Irene have caused an ABUNDANCE of mosquitoes! I am unable to send my child outside to play because there are SO many mosquitoes hovering around our homes. Please help!
  • by No name Location: Greenville on Sep 16, 2011 at 07:46 PM
    This is so bogus! I have called this guy every year for the same mosquito problems! He claims he isn't trapping enough to warrant a spray! Me and my family get bit all the time while outside. The guy at that number needs help in evaluating the problem for my area. We've had mosquito issues before hurricane Irene
      by Skeeter Defeater on Sep 17, 2011 at 01:22 PM in reply to No name
      If you had problems before Irene than you must have had containers holding water around the house. Look for flower pots and other containers. But, you are going to say you looked for that instead of actually making the effort to look for it and -blame Pitt county government for all your problems.
        by No Name on Sep 19, 2011 at 10:47 AM in reply to Skeeter Defeater
        Shut up!! It's funny how someone can read more into a statement than what was actually there. If I called this guy for 3 years straight, it definitely isn't my problem. I am not telling a lie about me and my family getting bit! We do! And FYI I have looked around my house for things that may have water in it or around it!
  • by ? on Sep 16, 2011 at 07:06 PM
    Shouldn't it be "Pitt County Sets Up Mosquito Hotline"
  • by Mr. bumpy face on Sep 16, 2011 at 05:41 PM
    Great hotline. Now exactly what are you planning to do about the mosquito problem? Setting traps is nice and all, but how do you plan to use that to help with my mosquitoes? We are getting eaten alive. What is the plan?
  • by Why hotline? do your job on Sep 16, 2011 at 05:20 PM
    Why is there a hotline? Just get out and do your job? Geez, I personally could hardly get in my front door the other week due to so many flying around. You know it is issue, just get out with the trucks and spray. Why do you need expense of hotline?
  • by mosquitonot on Sep 16, 2011 at 03:28 PM
    I am tired of all these blood sucking democrats buzzing in my ear.
  • by Red Banks Location: enc on Sep 16, 2011 at 03:18 PM
    To Agree you are right, but as bad as mosquitos are they should be sprayed dawn and dusk every day like Dare Co. is doing. Heard on the radio Dare is spraying 7 days a week. Knocken them out!!
      by REality Check on Sep 16, 2011 at 05:16 PM in reply to Red Banks
      They should be as the tourism dollars fund their program. Compare the Dare budget with Pitt counties budget. Major difference. Dare has also been doing aerial sprays. Look over that price tag. Knocking them out, huh? That is why Manteo cancelled last weeks football game because of mosquitoes. Yep - Spraying for mosquitoes works (HA).
  • by Me Location: G-vile on Sep 16, 2011 at 01:08 PM
    Well I think the trucks spraying would be more effective if they were not driving 50 miles an hour though the streets. Might be better idea to go BELOW the speed limits instead of above them. Just a thought.
      by I agree on Sep 16, 2011 at 01:49 PM in reply to Me
      AND if they'd spray at dusk instead of 10:00 pm they would get to more of them!
        by REally on Sep 16, 2011 at 04:21 PM in reply to I agree
        So mosquitoes are not active after 10:00 PM? I guess the ones at my house do not know that as they bite all night long. So your idea is to only spray at dusk? Lets see........They can spray about an hour per truck per night if they are only spraying at dusk. That means only about 1% if the county will get sprayed before the cold weather gets here this fall and kills them all. I wish we had you hired as mosquito expert as you would do such a much better job
      by Expert on Sep 16, 2011 at 04:17 PM in reply to Me
      Glad we have you on board as the mosquito expert. I am amazed how everyone always knows the answer to the problems others are actually making an effort to solve.
      by Anonymous on Sep 16, 2011 at 07:19 PM in reply to Me
      Trying to keep away from the thugs and bullets in G vegas. If they drove slow, they would be robbed.
  • by Red Banks Location: ENC on Sep 16, 2011 at 12:47 PM
    I hope help is coming! I don't care what kind of mosquitos they are, how many years they have been here. Their has been and increase on the West Nile virus since 1999 and each year the deaths from the virus has double. Our Health Depts and N.C.Extension Offices in eastern N.C.needs to do somethinggggggg.
      by Anonymous on Sep 16, 2011 at 04:18 PM in reply to Red Banks
      They are doing things to help. Did you not read the article?
  • by Lets see if I can help Location: wayne co on Sep 16, 2011 at 12:19 PM
    I got a spray bottle and filled it with original Listerine and strayed around my dog's pen and my deck and around doors/windows, works pretty good. contact your Avon rep for Skin so Soft, got the tiolettes and wiped my granddaughter, myself and the dog. Cut grass good and make sure no standing water and spray.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 129930948 - witn.com/a?a=129930948