Greenville City Council Could Reverse Concealed Gun Laws

One city council in the East is taking up the very popular concealed gun debate.

The Greenville City Council plans on discussing whether guns should be allowed in public recreational areas during a city council retreat on Friday and Saturday.

The General Assembly requires cities to allow guns in parks, but they leave the decision up to the city to decide on public recreational areas. Places such as, playgrounds, swimming pools, and athletic bleachers.

In November, the city council decided to prohibit guns in these areas, but new members have joined the council and councilman Max Joyner says it's time to revisit the issue. That's according to an email from Councilman Calvin Mercer.

• by Anonymous on Jan 23, 2012 at 02:49 PM
    Walt, You may call me an idiot, but i never killed for no reason in Iraq, I just used my Iraq back ground to give you my personal reason of carrying a firearm, Which is if some one shoots at me because they are comitting a crime, like trying to rob me or if i walk up and see some one being raped on gun point, then i have a means to protect myself and others. That was my whole point. chill out! Go tell those fallen sould at virginia tech that they could have out fought one guy with a gunman in the close quarters of the school hallways.
  • by Walt Location: Wa co on Jan 22, 2012 at 08:39 PM
    Gee.... The types of criminals in greenville, outside of the military ones lately, do not frequint gun ranges! go back to Iraq, so you can murder indescrimatley again. And shoot your small mind through depleted uranium warefare, for the corperate policies... if you need a gun in close quarters you lost anyways.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 22, 2012 at 05:09 PM
    Dude, as a veteran of Iraq i have been to worse places than greenville, however one who has not lost their gun rights should be able to carry a gun to defend themselves, as for the idiot who said being fit is better than being an expert at pistol shooting> you are an idiot! come to the range and tell us that
  • by Walt Location: Wa co on Jan 21, 2012 at 02:45 PM
    Maybe you need to read the post. I never said anything about outlawing guns. I have personally been asaulted by a gun at point blank by a would be robber in a CBD. He was disarmed, and laid with a broken leg as I walked away 6 seconds later. No gun, no rifle, just a set of keys, and being fit did the job. I am armed!!! With fitness, and logical thought which has protected me in very dangerous places, that you will never see the likes of in Greenville. Greenville is a joke as far as crime goes. What maybe a coulple thousand gang members. You all would die of fright, if you lived in a real CBD. Lock yourself away, the criminals are out!!!
      by Doble Troble on Jan 21, 2012 at 07:20 PM in reply to Walt
      Good on you, Walt! Your kind of defense is what we all would like to be able to muster. Unfortunately age takes hold, we become weaker and slower... This is particularly problematic for the fairer sex. What can give the aged, weak and slow at least a fighting chance at self-defense? What reason is there to deprive free Americans with a right to keep and bear arms from these tools?
  • by billings Location: gville on Jan 21, 2012 at 07:40 AM
    You gotta be kidding,... Walt! Just what we need more guns laws! Law abiding citizens need guns tp protect themselves evrywhere, PARKS included.. Its just one more way we can be in control of our life... Most guns used by criminals are Saturday night Specials bought cheap...! You can go buy thousands of guns stolen from pawn shops. If you keep them in a safe, why have a gun? Remember, when seconds count, police are just minutes away! The statistics stand for themselves, more than 22% of crimes have been stoped by a citizen carring a weapon of any type in public.
  • by brianscottphillips Location: 32003 on Jan 20, 2012 at 11:21 PM
    nice. So I'm sitting on the park bench watching my son on the playground and the day has arrived. A guy with a gun walks up to the "unarmed" park and begins shooting....
    Carry citizens are very conscientious especially ones with children like myself. I can see carrying my whole life and the day I go to this park having to leave my family's protection in the car being the day I hoped would never come.
  • by John on Jan 20, 2012 at 07:13 PM
    I don't know where you got that statistic Walt, but it didn't come from anywhere on planet Earth.
  • by shooty gotti on Jan 20, 2012 at 06:38 PM
    The good thing about a CW is that people are going to wonder if you are packing heat. It's like a surprise in the craker jack box, you never know.
  • by Frank Sinatra Location: Heaven on Jan 20, 2012 at 05:34 PM
    Forget a carry permit. Strap it on your hip so everyone can see Mr Smith and Mr Wesson. Visual aids work wonders.
  • by Doble Troble Location: Greenville on Jan 20, 2012 at 03:33 PM
    Crime has gone down in NC over 40 % since "Shall Issue" concealed carry passed in 1995. This decrease in crime hasn't happened in places where guns remained illegal - including parks. The Daily Reflector recently reported that according to Greenville Police Department data, officers responded to 39 criminal incidents in the city’s parks and recreational facilities in 2005, 93 incidents in 2010. If you were a criminal where would you go to commit crimes, where people were armed or where people are defenseless? Why would any self-respecting citizen want good people disarmed? The bad people will be armed regardless of laws. WAKE UP!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 137744963 - witn.com/a?a=137744963