NEW INFO: Rescued Bald Eagle Making Progress

A bald eagle rescued by Pitt County deputies on Thanksgiving Day continues to make a good recovery.

The eagle spent the weekend at the Downeast Wildlife Rehab Center in Ayden. The eagle has been nicknamed "Catfish" because of her preferred diet at the wildlife center.

The center's director says she still believes that the eagle doesn't have a broken wing, but is having x-rays performed on the bird Tuesday just to be safe.

Marti Brinson thinks that the eagle was likely injured by prey it was trying to eat, and might have suffered an infection as a result. Either way Brinson believes the eagle just needs a little time to get its strength back and has an optimistic outlook.

"Probably will be here until she fattened up a little bit and then go to a flight facility for a few weeks, until she gets stronger and hopefully go right back where she came from," Brinson told WITN.

Thanksgiving afternoon deputies received a call from a passerby who said there was an eagle on the side of the road in the area of Hudsons Crossroads and it looked like it's wing was injured.

Wildlife Officers instructed deputies how to rescue the bird properly, wrapping it and sheet and they placed it in a patrol car.

Previous Story

A bald eagle, rescued by Pitt County Deputies on Thanksgiving, is doing well and should be able to take to the skies again.

The bald eagle named "Catfish" is now in the care of the Downeast Wildlife Rehabilitation Center in Ayden.

Marti Brinson, president of the center, says the Eagle should be able to fly again. Her wing wasn't broken, but apparently weakened by an infection.

Previous Story:

It is Turkey day, but on this Thanksgiving the Pitt County Sheriff's Office rescued another type of bird, a Bald Eagle.

According to a Sheriff's Office spokeswoman, deputies received a call around 3:30 p.m. Thursday from a passerby who said there was an Eagle on the side of the road in the area of Hudsons Crossroads and it looked like it's wing was injured.

Deputies contacted Wildlife Officers who instructed them how to rescue the bird properly. With the help of neighbors, deputies were able to wrap the bird in a sheet and put it in their patrol car. The Eagle was then taken to Wildlife Officers who could give it the proper care.

Deputies say it looked like the Eagle had been struck by a car.

• by I'm glad they saved the bird on Nov 27, 2011 at 09:21 AM
    Great job.....
      by ncyankee on Nov 28, 2011 at 04:15 PM in reply to I'm glad they saved the bird
      yes, great job, some of the comments are shameful..this is the AMERICAN EAGLE folks, it represents AMERICA. If you feel that way about the American bird, I can imagine what you say about this country...
  • by laura Location: greenville on Nov 26, 2011 at 08:26 AM
    I'm certain we've seen a few in the Cherry Oaks area, and we have huge hawks, too...almost as big as Hyde Co. mosquitos.
  • by imsleepy on Nov 26, 2011 at 06:28 AM
    in the photos he really looks like a jail bird... hehehe
  • by Anonymous on Nov 26, 2011 at 02:45 AM
    These things are a menace to catfish ponds in this area and should be eradicated.
      by 40some on Nov 26, 2011 at 10:52 AM in reply to
      Charge admission to the local bird watchers.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 25, 2011 at 04:58 PM
    I hit a young wild turkey here in columbia about two months ago with my car.I personally grabbed the young turk and taped his broken leg up with a couple of lollypop sticks and that turkeys leg got better in about 3 weeks.In the time it took that stupid young turkey to heal,that thing beat me upside the head with its nonstopping flapping wings with its biased point to get along,disrespectful and no gratitude for the food I gave it.Well it survived but I will never do that again.That thing did not care one bit what I done for it.It reminds me of the occupiers.
      by Anonymous on Nov 25, 2011 at 08:14 PM in reply to
      turkeys aren't very sharp
      by 40some on Nov 26, 2011 at 10:50 AM in reply to
      Sure you didn't eat it?
  • by Likes Location: New Bern on Nov 25, 2011 at 03:36 PM
    This was great to hear, but now I am not certain if it should have been on the news. It is hunting season, and I am sure the Eagles will be the new prize game! There may be protection efforts and/or laws, but it would be hard to regulate with so many hunters in ENC.
      by Formerly O.L.I. on Nov 26, 2011 at 02:31 PM in reply to Likes
      Who will the hunter who shoots one show it to? Aren't taxidermists regulated too?
  • by Likes Location: New Bern on Nov 25, 2011 at 03:31 PM
    I really appreciated reading this pleasant story while waiting in the black friday line at 12am! It made my night/day! Thanks WITN for covering!
  • by Grateful Location: Blackjack on Nov 25, 2011 at 02:11 PM
    We found the eagle very calm standing on the roadside. I called 911 and very quickly 3 very caring PCS Officers arrived at the scene. After a short time they were able to capture the beautiful bird and wisk it off to the rehab facility. Kudos to the officers for saving such a magnificent animal. Left alone in the wild in his condition a preditor could have easily killed him/her.
  • by 40some on Nov 25, 2011 at 12:21 PM
    Blood tests later confirmed that the eagle was DWI and he was charged.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 25, 2011 at 09:26 AM
    Next time I accidently run over a toad with my lawn mower I will call the police department.
      by Billyjoejimbob on Nov 25, 2011 at 05:22 PM in reply to
      Don't be so Stupid !

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 134474958 - witn.com/a?a=134474958