Pitt County Cracking Down On Those Late With Taxes

One Pitt County man found out the hard way what happens when you don't pay your property taxes on time.

The taxes were due September 1st, but now those who haven't paid will face penalties.

That Pitt County man we talked with told us he checked his bank account Wednesday morning and saw it had been frozen. It turns out his account was frozen by tax collectors because he hadn't paid his property taxes yet.

That man owns and rents out several properties in the area. He has now paid the taxes, but is dealing with the repercussions of having his bank account frozen.

Pitt County tax collectors say they send out the property tax bill in July. It's due in September, but starting in January if you haven't paid, collectors will take steps to get the money. Those enforcement procedures are wage garnishment, bank account attachment, levy on personal property, and eventually foreclosure. So if you haven't paid your property taxes, any of those things could happen to you.

Officials say they do not send out monthly warnings that the bill is due after the initial bill is sent out in July. They expect property owners to be responsible.

They do send out a final warning at the end of January to let property owners who still haven't paid know their name will be advertised if they don't pay.

Officials say every year hundreds of people in Pitt County don't pay their property taxes by the deadline, so they are forced to use the enforcement procedures.

• by yes RICK on Jan 22, 2012 at 11:04 AM
    Let's get rid of fire/rescue. What do they do anyway? I rode rescue for 25 years, did my patients think I was a waste of their time?
  • by Formerly O.L.I. Location: ENC on Jan 21, 2012 at 05:55 AM
    Our property tax bill isn't as high as our light bill, and we pay both of those on time. However, I think freezing the person's bank acct. is too severe. I understand garnishing wages, applying late fees, or maybe even taking to court, but this is going too far, IMO. If the person/s cannot pay on time, they should have a system in place to work with them (think, extension or metered payments).
      by anonymous on Jan 21, 2012 at 03:05 PM in reply to Formerly O.L.I.
      Selective enforcement is the rule in Pitt Co.
  • by What a Rip-Off Location: Greenville on Jan 20, 2012 at 08:36 PM
    Just wait until we get the re-evaluation notices for 2012! Property values are down, so they will just charge more to equal the balance. Basically pay the same for less value. Same cycle of over-spending by our local leaders. If Greenville would quit buying property and building parks!
  • by Anonymous on Jan 20, 2012 at 11:35 AM
    I do think it's ironic that the government wants to "protect" people from bill collectors by passing restrictive laws and then they make themselves exempt from those same laws while using practices that would bankrupt a regular organization with legal fees. Talk about stacking the deck.
  • by J.Johnson Location: Greenville on Jan 20, 2012 at 11:03 AM
    I personally think that some individuals that get a notice to pay property taxes over a $1,000.00 should get a extension because sometimes the Pitt County Tax Office send the letter out and for some reason or another people just simply do not have the funds to pay that amount. I think that the government should not freeze accounts but should start back sending notices via email or text messages. That would take care of most late payments. I understand that the government need the funds to continue to operate effectively. The person in charge do not have to worry about paying his or her taxes on time because if the same shoe would fall on them, they would quickly do away with that penalty.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 20, 2012 at 07:13 AM
    The entire notion of paying taxes on something you own is disgusting. It just shows that you truly own nothing, it's just a lease from the government. Their is no private property, only property the government lets you borrow until you're late or can't pay for it anymore. I cannot wait for the day their system crashes down on their heads.
      by m on Jan 20, 2012 at 08:42 AM in reply to
      Move to a state that does not have personally property taxes problem solved.
        by Anonymous on Jan 20, 2012 at 12:05 PM in reply to m
        That doesn't actually solve the problem at all. It just proves you have no idea of what the problem actually is.
      by Formerly O.L.I. on Jan 21, 2012 at 05:58 AM in reply to
      I've said that many times too, but the response I get is usually that the fees go into a fund to keep up the right-of-ways, water/sewer lines, tree-trimming costs, and other things involved in the maintenance of all properties that homeowners don't do themselves.
  • by Disgruntled(ex)worker on Jan 20, 2012 at 03:32 AM
    Dont move to Tyrrell county!We have the highest property taxes per median income in the USA(3145 counties)What a bunch of democrat crooks we have here.Forget these fools running this county.I took all my money out the bank before they could get there grubby hands on it.
  • by Charles on Jan 20, 2012 at 03:25 AM
    Hey I am in China now for 6 months and with the help of a friend I still pay my taxes and paid most of them early to make sure they were paid, so why cant they pay theirs?
  • by Anonymous on Jan 20, 2012 at 03:01 AM
    I pay my property tax on time it is fair to expect others to do the same.
      by Anonymous on Jan 20, 2012 at 03:53 AM in reply to
      Sales tax is fairer, then everyone who reaps the benefits of the revenues contributes to the pot of funds.
  • by Tarzan Location: The Jungle on Jan 19, 2012 at 11:38 PM
    Since they seem to want a prompt payment. Will they be as quick fixing the infrascruture in Greenville and pitt County?

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 137723178 - witn.com/a?a=137723178