Pitt County Animals Need New Homes

The push to get animals from the Pitt County Animal Shelter into homes in the east has not been as successful officials had hoped.

The "Empty the Shelter" event began last week, and since then, director Michele Whaley says only five animals were placed into new homes.

Dozens of dogs and cats are filling every available slot at the shelter. Whaley says new animals that come in have 72 hours to get into the main part of the shelter for adoption. Otherwise, the animal is put down. The animal shelter is just not big enough to hold all the animals who need it.

If you would like to speak with someone about adopting a new pet, you can contact the Pitt County Animal Shelter at 252-902-1725.

• by Jenny Location: Jamesville N.C. on Aug 9, 2011 at 05:46 PM
    I wish I could have another dog but I can't. I wish some people would step up and adopt these cute dogs. No animal should be put down there should be a longer period to stay in the shelter so someone could adopt them. Less than a week just isn't long enough. People we need to step up and save the animals. like I said earlier I can't have anymore, but if I could I would have 2 or 3. Now here is another article I have to worry about and be upset about. I can not stand for an animal to be put down or hurt. If I could I would save the world from cruelty. but thats in GODS hands. He will watch over the animals.
      by realistic animal lover on Aug 9, 2011 at 06:34 PM in reply to Jenny
      Many people are in the same situation you are. Why would we adopt, when we cannot afford it or have room for one either. We can't step up any more than you can.
  • by Anonymous on Aug 9, 2011 at 02:49 PM
    On August 27th, Happy Jack Inc. in Snow Hill is having Dogs Days of Summer event. Rabies shots are $6, someone will be on hand for pet photos, dogs will get dipped for fleas for free, all Happy Jack animal health products will be BOGO and spay/neuter certificates for dogs and cats will only be $25. Best price I have seen anywhere. There will be pets for adoption also provided by Greene County. Hope this helps someone!
      by Anonymous on Aug 9, 2011 at 04:17 PM in reply to
      Greene County does a lot to help animals. Don't know how the taxpayers afford to give all those spay/neuter certificates to the recuses, but it saves them thousands for the animals they take in from all over the state.
  • by Dawg on Aug 9, 2011 at 01:02 PM
    See more of the animals for adoption at Pitt Country Animal Shelter. http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/NC173.html
  • by Anonymous on Aug 9, 2011 at 09:38 AM
    Why are they just posting this after the recent incident in another county? Last time I was at the shelter attempting to adopt they had just placed a full blooded Golden Retriever minutes before I arrived. They hadn't given the pet any shots or fixed him and still insisted that I pay close to $200 dollars to adopt. Last thing - OPEN ON SATURDAY'S, more people will adopt. And God forbid, you are right beside the busiest business in Pitt County on a Saturday morning, The Farmers Market! (And dump of course).
      by Anonymous on Aug 9, 2011 at 01:01 PM in reply to
      With the adoption rate so low, do you really expect the taxpayers to pay to have all those animals spayed and neutered and all their shots, when most of them will be put down? If you do, I understand why this country is in the shape it is in. According to their web page they are open on Sat. Saturdays from 11 am - 4:00 pm And the adoption fee is Dog/Puppies: $80 $10 Rabies Vaccination Cats/Kittens: $55 $10 Rabies Vaccination This includes spay and neutering fees. So don't know where you get $200 unless they have not updated their web page.
      by Anonymous on Aug 9, 2011 at 06:27 PM in reply to
      The animal shelter also takes some animals to the PetSmart on Arlington Blvd. on Saturday afternoons, so you can always look there on Saturdays. The other person posted the correct rates for adoptions, and actually if an animal is listed as "urgent", meaning it will be put down within 30 days, the adoption fee is reduced...at least ours was when we got a cat today.
  • by really on Aug 9, 2011 at 08:29 AM
    There are pets dropped off everyday that need to be adopted, but they can only find money to advertise when they can benefit from it.
      by Anonymous on Aug 9, 2011 at 10:06 AM in reply to really
      They advertise every Sunday in the paper and everyday at petfinder.com. At petfinder.com they have nice write ups on the animals, you can tell they have taken the time to get to know the animals they have for adoption. When I have been there to adopt, they have been very nice to work with.
      by Chuck on Aug 9, 2011 at 01:10 PM in reply to really
      Quit charging the fee (Think $50.00 To $75.00) to adopt them."Bet The Duplin County Folks Did Not Charge for the 30 Animals yesterday". Let people adopt them for free.It is all about the country that is Greedy for money. The Taxpayers in Pitt County pay taxes.The county gives money to Animal Shelter to run the place. So Adoption fees are not necessary. "Do Free giveaway/adoption " Days & the place will get empty & Save these animals Best Dog i ever have had came from the Pitt Shelter in 1998,A Golden lab.Had her until she died in 2010. All these poor animals need is a second chance.
        by Anonymous on Aug 9, 2011 at 03:18 PM in reply to Chuck
        The fee covers the cost of the spay/neuter. Find a vet to do it that cheap, won't happen.
        by Anonymous on Aug 9, 2011 at 04:18 PM in reply to Chuck
        And dog fighters will be piling in the door to get bait dogs to train with. Bad idea, giving them away. The animals have worth and if you give them away you are taking away that worth.
  • by kelly Location: Winterville on Aug 9, 2011 at 07:48 AM
    There are programs that do help spay and neuter your animals. But at some point you have to be responsible. If you cannot spay or neuter your pet, most likely you cannot afford shots or food either. There are not enough homes for pets because we allow them to keep breeding. Irresponsible people are not going to care if it is free to spay and neuter pets, they just keep breeding or allow the animals to breed.
  • by wisher on Aug 9, 2011 at 07:20 AM
    It breaks my heart to see this. I would love nothing more than to take one of these animals home but I simply do not have the means to pay for it nor is there enough space where I live. As a student living with two others who both have already gotten a dog it just seems impossible. I've wanted to for years to adopt a dog to save a life and gain a great companion. I just can't wait until the day I can help like I want.
  • by Lisa Location: ENC on Aug 9, 2011 at 05:01 AM
    The sad reality is that you can't save them all. There are just not enough people who want pets or can afford a pet. If all animals not used for breeding can be fixed, a lot could be done about the situation. But most people cannot afford to do this. Vets could step up to the plate and offer to do this for free for those who cannot afford it. Discounts are not enough. I hear people say that if you can't afford to care for a pet, don't have one. Yet those same people complain that there are not enough homes for those pets. You can't have it both ways....
  • by Dawg on Aug 9, 2011 at 03:36 AM
    All of you screaming about those puppies, now is the time to step up, if you are looking to add a companion animal to your family. Remember these animals will also be killed if not adopted, to make room for more.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 127294158 - witn.com/a?a=127294158