Pitt Co. School Board Member With Criminal Record Elected Chairman

Pitt County school board member Billy Peaden, who has a criminal record, has been elected as chairman during Monday night's meeting.

Peaden said, " I hope that we can patch up all problems that we may have as the board. I feel like I can serve the board as good as anyone can."

Last Friday marked two years to the day Peaden plead guilty to two misdemeanor counts of operating a gaming machine after being arrested months earlier by Pitt County ABC agents. By taking the plea and avoiding a felony he was able to keep his seat.

Barbara Owens was also looking to be the chairperson. Owens has served on the board since 2000 and has previously held the chair position.

• by Eli Location: Greenville on Jan 10, 2011 at 09:28 AM
    How was he elected? Was this in the general ballot? Why didn't I receive junk mail telling me what this guy's past life was? Did he use tax payer money for gambling? Did he steal from tax payers? Did he hurt anyone physically? Then who cares?
  • by Eli Location: Greenville on Jan 10, 2011 at 08:50 AM
    After reading all these comments I was wondering if anyone is taking any real action. I would love to get out and be in the community more but I can only vote. I unfortunately was blessed with college loans, a mortgage and a job I have to work 70 hours a week to pay my bills, so I can't get out and let people know about these issues and what they can do to make a difference. VOTE!!!
  • by Eli Location: Greenville on Jan 9, 2011 at 12:01 PM
    It's a great past time to just read these comments. fun
  • by Neo Location: Reality on Dec 17, 2010 at 08:04 AM
    You know "US-Fruit", you make a good point. We do tend to look for the most unblemished fruits when we do our shopping. I have learned through the years that blemished fruit normally tastes just like the less blemished ones. I can also take Becky's point, I have seen some shiny, beautiful apples that were rotten to the core. I have never, in all my years of produce shopping, found a perfect fruit or vegatable. I can find a blemish or a flaw in the shape of every piece of fruit and vegatable in every market in the whole world. The only perfect fruits and vegatables I have ever seen are fake variety, made of plastic. They are just an illusion, just as your self-proclaimed spotlessness is. You are a poser, just as anyone who claims to have never committed a crime is. See ya plastic grapefruit. Becky was not referring to this other lady you have mentioned. I'm sure she was making the point that they chose Mr Peaden and never drafted the phony perfect "US-Fruit" for the position.
  • by US-First Location: Greenville on Dec 16, 2010 at 02:00 PM
    I am sorry. One more thing based on "Becky's" last post. So "Becky" you are implying that the other board member (Barbara Owens) who was up for consideration to the chair position was a self-righteous hypocrite who lies about mistakes? Obviously if thats the case you have been biased from the start toward this Mr Peadon. Interesting.
  • by US-First (aka US-Fruit) Location: Greenvile on Dec 16, 2010 at 01:52 PM
    That US-Fruit name kind of grows on ya! Again "Neo" thanks for clarifying your physical prowess. Unimpressive as it is, I certainly have no evidence to doubt your word. I was just eating a banana while reading "Becky's" post and it occurred to me that I picked that banana because it looked ripe and perfect compared to the others. Pealing it back it turned out to be as perfect as I thought it would be. Strange how some Fruits appear to be perfect on the outside and when peeled they actually are perfect all the way to the core. Also strange how when picking Fruit in a supermarket we tend to bypass the bad looking Fruit for a reason. Usually because experience or maybe instinct tells us that a bad apple is in fact a bad apple. For some reason many of us don't have to keep learning that lesson over and over. Thanks for the chat guys. Hope to see you on another subject real soon.
  • by Becky on Dec 16, 2010 at 12:58 AM
    The board decided they wanted a honest man who has made mistakes and accepted the responsibility for them instead of self-righteous hypocrit who makes mistakes and lies about it. Hoorah, we have an excellent leader of the board. Mr Peaden is a man who's compassion, persistance and humility were formed by learning from his setbacks and never letting the phony posers dismiss him with their egotistical disdain. He sets an fine example for the children of Pitt County. If we teach the kids that society throws them away after one mistake, they will give up and give in to the bad influences of the street and the hypocrites who would rob them of their self esteem. Isn't it strange how some Fruits appear to be perfect on the outside, but when peeled are rotton all the way to the core.
  • by Neo Location: Reality on Dec 16, 2010 at 12:39 AM
    With a name like "US-Fruit", it seems you would be afraid to be even the keyboard cowboy that you are. The embarrassment would be yours if you were to actually physically confront me young lady. Unless you are Chuck Norris or way over 6 feet and 250 lbs, descretion would be the better part of valor for you. I don't need your advice to pump iron little sis, I'm a Physical Trainer and lift daily. You'd take a look at me and get back in your hybred compact. There would be no confrontation. I don't understand "You got not teeth here.", something tells me you got so caught up in finding big words in your thesaurus that you dropped the ball on the basics. I've threatened nobody, I never do. When I failed to maintain my composure, I threatened nobody then either, threats are a waste of time and a tip of one's own hand. The only egotistical moron in this conversation is the buffoon who claims to live a error free life.
  • by US-First Location: Greenville on Dec 15, 2010 at 07:02 PM
    "Neo" you are a weak little man. Please dispense with the posturing which you and I both know would be an embarrassment to you and your family were you to actually physically confront me or anyone else for that matter. Your story turns full circle where you pretend to learn only to threaten someone again and tout support for you actions. You can basically define "self-righteous" with your entire post with an added bit of Napoleonic ego. Only a delusional egotistical moron would bring threats of violence to an internet forum through story telling. You got not teeth here. Go pump some iron dude.
  • by Neo Location: Reality on Dec 15, 2010 at 05:50 PM
    "US-Fruit" They have ALL already stumbled, including you and I, I would challenge you to meet the high standards that I set in my life. I have made mistakes, but I always try to do the right thing. I have gotten angry and punched a smart mouth little know it all in my past. In fact, I have fallen victim to that vice on more than one occasion, but it was outside of my normal character. It was a mistake on my part. They pushed and pushed until they got more than what they were could handle. I could have been charged with assault but luckily, like you when you stubbled in many ways, I got away with it. My family and I give of ourselves constantly to the community and they overlooked my little transgression because they forgave me. I grew from it and now handle loud mouth, little imperfect but in self denial twerps with much more patience. Heck, my neighbors patted me on the back, they didn't like self-righteous little turds either.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 111236649 - witn.com/a?a=111236649