NEW INFO: Man Dies After Pitt County Tractor Accident

A Pitt County man is dead after authorities say he was run over by a farm tractor.

It happened around 9:40 a.m. in a field off Coy Forbes Road, that's off of Highway 30 south of Stokes.

Dalton Smith was rushed to Pitt County Memorial Hospital, but died there a short time later. Deputies say the 60-year-old man from Stokes was run over by his tractor when he was re-fueling it and the tractor slipped into gear.

Deputies say two other employees were in the area. One of the employees noticed the tractor running in circles and Smith sitting up in its path. They ran to the man and Smith tried to say something to his co-workers, but couldn't speak because of his severe chest injury.

• by MM on Sep 14, 2011 at 10:53 AM
    My prayers go up to his family!!
  • by NPHS on Sep 14, 2011 at 09:22 AM
    Praying for Patrick & Kendrick Smith!
  • by Eddie Location: Williamston on Sep 13, 2011 at 05:11 PM
    I am good Friends with the Niece of the victim and my Prayers go out the her and her Family as well as all the Friends doing this tragic lost.
  • by ES Location: BA, Pitt County on Sep 13, 2011 at 05:11 PM
    My heart goes out to this man's family. I sympathize with them tremendously.
  • by Locket Location: Askewville, NC on Sep 13, 2011 at 03:12 PM
    Many years ago I had a friend who was killed in an accident similar to this one. It had to be a horrible shock to the family and friends he leaves behind. May God surround them with His love and comfort now.
  • by Sandy Location: Greenville on Sep 13, 2011 at 01:50 PM
    What a terrible tragedy...may God Bless his family during this time...my dad farmed for many years and my heart goes out to this family.
  • by willa verbal Location: brooklyn, ny on Sep 13, 2011 at 01:50 PM
    RIP Big Shock..
  • by Stephanie Location: Greenville, NC on Sep 13, 2011 at 01:45 PM
    What a tragic way to die! My prayers are with the family. :(
  • by Wife and daughter of famers on Sep 13, 2011 at 01:43 PM
    So very, very sorry about this accident. My prayers to ask God to comfort you at this very tragic time. Also, for EMS that tried so very hard. Met the ambulance in route to ED and knew it was a true emergency.
  • by Fran on Sep 13, 2011 at 01:22 PM
    Prayers for the family.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 129726348 - witn.com/a?a=129726348