Perry's "Roadkill" Comment Prompts Letter From Restauranteur

A Kinston restaurant is offering Governor Rick Perry a "side of crow" the next time he's in North Carolina on the presidential campaign trail, still smarting over his comment on their food made 19 years ago.

The Texas Republican remarked during a barbecue taste-off at the 1992 Republican National Convention, "I've had road kill that tasted better than that". Perry was talking about pulled pork from Kings Restaurant in Kinston. The comment resurfaced last month in the News & Observer.

Wilbur King has written the presidential candidate, saying he's noticed Perry has taken a "pretty big dive in the polls this month". King says they can't help but feel Perry's comments about Eastern North Carolina might be part to blame. King pointed out that the restaurant has been serving BBQ for 75 years, and they're now shipping to all 50 states, including Texas.

King included a picture of him standing in the middle of a road, with the letter and a dead armadillo.

• by Pig Daddy Location: Greenville on Oct 17, 2011 at 01:21 PM
    King's has a BBQ Sandwich that comes on Cornbread. I heard it was good so I tried it a couple weeks ago. The BBQ was not fresh, it was reheated and I wasted my money. I will not get that sandwich again. You just can't reheat BBQ.
  • by Dave Location: Wilson on Oct 17, 2011 at 11:32 AM
    I am a big fan of Eastern NC style BBQ and Kings is the bottom of the barrel. Rick Perry knows what he is talking about!! If the folks at Kings are offended...FINE. They have been offending taste buds for years. Maybe they should do a better job.
  • by Bloke Location: New Bern on Oct 17, 2011 at 04:50 AM
    King's is definitely not the best. They have descent food. The absolute best pulled pork BBQ ever in a restauraunt is a little place called Grady's BBQ off of Arrington Bridge Rd. in Dudley. This place is awesome. It only has 3 tables and most is carry out. The gentleman cooks the pig over oak every day. you can see the ccok shed and oak wood when you drive up. The closest thing I have had to a good ole back yard BBQ. Can't believe Wilbur made such a big deal over this. Sounds like he got a lot of bad publicity over it.
  • by willie Location: windsor on Oct 15, 2011 at 10:09 PM
    I have eaten BBQ in many places in ENC and the best is served here in Windsor;--come try some good ole Bunns BBQ (the best around by far)near the banks of the Cashie River. Williamston has some great BBQ at Shaw's; Greenville would definitely be at B's BBQ, Ayden has two very good BBQ places (or at least they wre delicious 15 yrs ago). Parkers BBQ has been a local staple for years. If you want to stay away from pork, there are a number of great turkey BBQ places as well
  • by Billy Bob Location: Kinstonian on Oct 15, 2011 at 05:53 PM
    Woo Hoo! It certainly does seem like folks don't take to kindly to ol' Wilber's BBW. Just another big fat sow drippin' grease. This is too funny. I've eaten there (I dont brat about it) and a lot of times the BBQ tastes like it has been refridgerated and reheated the day after cooking. A good plate is hard to find in that place. I think I can do better at home. Heck, my wife can do better at home. ROADKILL! ROADKILL! ROADKILL!
  • by tom Location: kinston on Oct 15, 2011 at 05:22 PM
    Rick Perry was right kings food is terrible, if you want some good barbecue try Kens in lagrange his is the best
  • by Anonymous on Oct 15, 2011 at 11:07 AM
    I ate bbq at kings once and it was soured. They apologized but I still do not want to go there.
  • by anon12 on Oct 15, 2011 at 10:15 AM
    Not crazy about their bbq plain, but I do like the bbq/slaw sandwiches. Now, the absolute worst NC bbq is Lexington. I have no idea what the big deal is about that stuff. Plus, they put the same sauce in their slaw. It's awful.
  • by rapp Location: snow hill on Oct 15, 2011 at 09:25 AM
    He's right on this one you know.
  • by Jack Leg on Oct 15, 2011 at 08:53 AM
    Kings is only second to Parkers.............for the WORST BBQ in Eastern NC!!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 131868603 - witn.com/a?a=131868603