Perdue's Education Plan Continues Sales Tax

Governor Beverly Perdue was in Eastern Carolina Friday talking about her plan to promote education in the state, which includes continuing a sales tax.

Perdue and her Cabinet members will be fanning out across North Carolina over the next week to promote public education as Republican lawmakers debate how deep public spending cuts should go in next year's budget.

In Winterville Friday, the governor talked about her plan to fund education and keep kids in the classroom. "My budget, I didn't want to do it, has a three quarter of a percent sales tax, that's 23 cents a day of taxpayers of NC to fund teachers, fund work programs like this to fund our greater university system. I think a 23 cent tax is a good investment for future of NC."

Perdue says while it's up to the legislators to make budget decisions-- her only tool is the power to veto any budget proposal that she considers unacceptable to the people.

• by Anonymous on May 16, 2011 at 06:19 AM
    I am sure this will get up from the bottom of the list in national standings. Give yourself another raise governor.
  • by NO TO TAX INCREASE Location: Tarboro on May 15, 2011 at 02:18 PM
    No to any tax increase. Taxes are already too high. Perdue just needs to start spending the tax money wisely and cut out nonsense spending.
  • by Kimo Location: Belhaven on May 15, 2011 at 07:57 AM
    WE need to pour more money on our education programs in NC. It has really worked well every other place it has been done. Yeah, right... We truly seem to be slow learners!!
  • by 250 Location: Jax on May 15, 2011 at 01:17 AM
    I liken this to my allowance, and paper route monies. I wanted a bike to deliver papers. Mom and dad told me to save my route money and I did. If dad said extra $ for raking leaves so I could by a new 45 rpm, cool. If I took the leaf monies and paid for the bike , guess who wasn't getting the 45. Hmm NC governing bodies are that age group of "gotta haves" me, me, me, and now, now, now, society. Back yonder taxes went up for education. "THEY" used it somewhere else and now sing the blues. I trust they sleep well having screwed our younger gen up. Maybe we should all look for a giant beanstalk in downtown Raleigh. (rant complete)
  • by Special ED Teacher Location: Pitt County on May 14, 2011 at 03:03 PM
    In the Exceptional Childrens program, I would advocate that all TA's be required to have a four year degree as a minimum standard for employment with PCS.
      by Another EC Teacher on May 15, 2011 at 08:11 AM in reply to Special ED Teacher
      If all TA's in EC classrooms were required to have a 4 year degree, then why would they remain TA's? As much as I hated writing IEP's, I would rather be writing them and attending the meetings that be left to maintain the EC classroom which is already breaking federal law by having too many identified students in one classroom. If I were them and had a 4 year degree, I would go back to school, add on my teaching license, and get the slightly larger paycheck.
        by Parent on May 15, 2011 at 09:54 AM in reply to Another EC Teacher
        If I had a child in a Special Ed class, I would want the highest level of trained staff possible. Some TA's would prefer using their training and people skills without having to worry about writing IEP's and arranging meetings. With dwindling funding for Teacher Assistants the competition for jobs would be a good motivator to raise the minimum standard to a four year degree. The Assistant would have a higher status as well. Win for the staff and the EC students.
  • by Stan Location: G'ville on May 14, 2011 at 02:44 PM
    Wouldn't it be possible to reduce the sales tax by half of a percent instead of a whole percent. That would provide enough revenue for the Public Schools to operate effectively, and the legislature can still say they were able to cut taxes. We will need an educated work force to grow the economy.
  • by K Location: Bethel on May 14, 2011 at 02:20 PM
    If they really wanted to save some money lets start with cutting out the sup. pay in each county and instead of having 100 sup. cut back to 50. Then reduce the amount of principals like wise. There would probably be enough money left to give the teachers a raise.
  • by Anonymous on May 14, 2011 at 12:41 PM
    does she promise every penny of the sales tax will go towards education??? of course not.. what an idiot
  • by WB Location: Winterville on May 14, 2011 at 07:36 AM
    The NC Governor and all State Education Superintendents don't have a clue how to educate children because She (Perdue)cannot even run the NC government. She ain't bright enough period. She ain't got a brain period.
  • by to Hope on May 14, 2011 at 07:26 AM
    You're so right!!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 121813304 - witn.com/a?a=121813304