GOP Will Need Help To Cancel Voter ID Veto

The leader of the North Carolina House says fellow Republicans will attempt to cancel Gov. Beverly Perdue's veto of legislation requiring photo identification to vote in person, but he'll need help from some Democrats to succeed.

House Speaker Thom Tillis of Cornelius said Friday an override vote will occur in July when the Legislature reconvenes to take up redistricting and other matters.

Perdue vetoed the bill Thursday, saying it would set obstacles in front of citizens exercising their right to vote. Tillis said the ID requirement would protect the integrity of the state's elections and criticized Perdue for rejecting what he says most people support.

The House approved the bill last week on a party-line vote that would fall short of the margin necessary to override Perdue.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Previous Story

Democratic Gov. Beverly Perdue has vetoed a Republican bill mandating North Carolina voters show photo identification before they cast a ballot in person.

Perdue's veto Thursday was expected. Her office said last week the photo ID requirement wasn't something the governor could support.

Fellow Democrats have panned the bill as a way for Republicans to discourage turnout among older adults and black voters who may not have IDs.

Republicans say that's not the intent and that requiring IDs protects against voter fraud.

This is Perdue's eighth veto this year -- a record in North Carolina.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

• by Puh-Leez on Jun 24, 2011 at 01:53 PM
    Actually it would be great if we went back to how the founding Fathers intended voting to be.....only those who were property owners could vote, that way folks that had a vested interest in government(i.e. those who pay the taxes) were the ones deciding leadership. Think about it, if you are living off the tax payers, (welfare, social programs, etc.) human nature will generally make you vote for who will give you the biggest hand-out.
      by clint on Jun 24, 2011 at 02:19 PM in reply to Puh-Leez
      That's a bit much. How about if you file a tax return for three years running and pay tax in at least one of those years?
      by Anonymous on Jun 25, 2011 at 01:52 PM in reply to Puh-Leez
      And if you're generally getting billions in tax breaks you're also going to vote for who gives you the biggest handout.
        by Puh-Leez on Jun 25, 2011 at 07:19 PM in reply to
        Completely missing the point as usual.....sad.
          by clint on Jun 26, 2011 at 04:38 AM in reply to Puh-Leez
          As usual? How do you identify the many Anonymous posters that are too lazy or stupid to come up with a handle. Hard to address them individually when they won't somehow identify themselves. You can remain anonymous but in order to express an opinion and have a discourse you need to have an identity of some sort. It's not that hard. How about it "Anonymouses" Waste a brain cell or two and come up with a handle.
      by Anonymous on Jun 26, 2011 at 06:29 AM in reply to Puh-Leez
      Thats about as dumb as the one in Blythe, CA: You are not permitted to wear cowboy boots unless you already own at least two cows.
        by Puh-Leez on Jun 26, 2011 at 04:24 PM in reply to
        Ha! As if "Clint" really identifies who you are....well if it REALLY matters, my name is Greg Jones and I live in Vanceboro, NC and I am expressing my right to freedom of speech. If you do not agree with me that is well and good, the Founders did a pretty good job setting up the "American experiment" and you and I are enjoying some of it here on this forum even today. As for coming up with a "handle" me thinks "Puh-Leez" works for me....(I never waste brain cells)
          by clint on Jun 27, 2011 at 07:14 AM in reply to Puh-Leez
          That's fine so long as you are consistent. "Puh-Leez" is a handle. I'm not saying to give out your social security # or anything. I'm speaking of those that simply let WITN label them "Anonymous" There are so many of those that if several do multiple posts on a thread you can't tell which is which, so you don't know which "identity" you may be responding to. "clint" is my identity on this forum. My social security number is ###-###-#### :) And this is how I usually sign Obama, "One and Done" Count on it!!!
  • by BF on Jun 24, 2011 at 01:38 PM
    If there is so much voter fraud with illegals voting multiple times for Democrats, you have to wonder how the Republicans got elected last fall. I think this is a solution in search of a problem.
      by Anonymous on Jun 24, 2011 at 02:56 PM in reply to BF
      The Republicans got elected last year because people were tired of them spending money we dont have.
  • by Anonymous on Jun 24, 2011 at 01:18 PM
    the governor will do anything to get more votes, we should open a polling place in mexico city, havanna, and hati. let them all vote. this governor has lost touch.
  • by Wondering Location: NC on Jun 24, 2011 at 12:28 PM
    I wonder if you have to show an id to get in the Governor's mansion? You do at other State governement Buildings.
  • by ? on Jun 24, 2011 at 09:28 AM
    Wow, how quick was she to throw the R-word at this one, oh and the elderly as well. I'm guessing Bev thinks those groups of people are too "stupid" to be able to get any form of ID; her entire argument is saying what she really thinks of the black and elderly voters. Didn't the Democrats use this same tactic when Obama was campaigning, that only a Raciest wouldn't vote for Obama, that only a Sexist wouldn't vote for Hillary?
  • by democrat Location: eastern nc on Jun 23, 2011 at 08:41 PM
    I'm a democrat and I wish this had not been vetoed. Bev, you were wrong on this one!
  • by Steve Location: Ayden on Jun 23, 2011 at 08:02 PM
    The dems are using their typical bumper sticker slogans. Really....who does not have a ID?? All of these "poor" people need their ID for welfare and food stamps. All of these "elderly" people need their ID for medicare, social security and their medicine from the pharmacy. The dems know that ALL voter fraud, no matter how small it may be, benefits them.
  • by taxman Location: snow hill on Jun 23, 2011 at 07:58 PM
    The Republicans are worried about losing North Carolina again. Their solution? Restrict early voting. When in doubt, limit the franchise whenever possible and put in extra requirements. You gotta hand it to these folks - they really keep scouring the box and dragging out anything they can find to jam up the democratic process.
      by Anonymous on Jun 24, 2011 at 03:32 AM in reply to taxman
      Wrong again, as always "taxman".
      by Anonymous on Jun 24, 2011 at 04:32 AM in reply to taxman
      How would this limit or restrict anyone? They arent afraid of loosing, they are just trying to avoid any voter fraud.
        by Anonymous on Jun 24, 2011 at 08:23 AM in reply to
        Americans have a constitutional right to vote, and there is no constitutional requirement for a picture ID to vote. Period!
          by Obama Snake Oil Co on Jun 24, 2011 at 09:05 AM in reply to
          So with open borders, how do you know if they are American?
          by ? on Jun 24, 2011 at 09:32 AM in reply to
          you won't be saying that when you go to vote and they tell you "you already voted" because someone used your name, that's what happen to me last time around and I even showed them my ID to prove who I was, they told me it didn't matter.
          by Anonymous on Jun 24, 2011 at 12:19 PM in reply to
          Theres no Constitutional law that says I cant drink and drive, or speed, or kill people but it is still against the law.
        by Anonymous on Jun 24, 2011 at 11:54 AM in reply to
        What voter fraud are they trying to limit....OH you mean the cases of voter fraud that I can count on my fingers (an not use them all) that came up due to the mistake of poll workers. Or they could possibly be attempting to disenfranchise those populations who don't have government issued photo ID because they aren't their voting base. Just maybe.
          by clint on Jun 24, 2011 at 01:17 PM in reply to
          Just who doesn't have an ID? You can probably count those on your fingers as well. There is a bunch of voter fraud as it is now. It goes unreported because there is no voter ID law. Me thinks you are a win at any cost liberal. Don't matter if there's cheating so long as not on the other side huh? And all you posters with the handle "Anonymous" only. You can still remain anonymous with an identifiable handle. I use my real name but you don't have to. Then we all would know which "Anonymous" we are addressing. You could try something like "In Denial" or "I love Koolaide" If you wish to express an opinion please identify yourself in a consistent manner. Just come up with something. Really not that difficult. As always, Obama "One and Done" Count on it!!! Good ole Bev too!!
        by Anonymous on Jun 24, 2011 at 12:32 PM in reply to
        I'ts "losing" not "loosing."
  • by Its this easy to get an ID on Jun 23, 2011 at 07:04 PM
    APPLYING FOR A NORTH CAROLINA ID CARD Locate the Office of Motor Vehicles nearest you, as you will have to apply for the ID card in person. You cannot apply online. Bring proper identification. You must also provide proof of your social security number (SSN). If you have never been issued a SSN, you may be required to obtain one or provide valid US Government issued documents establishing your legal presence. Provide proof of North Carolina residence. You need to notify the local office of any change in address or name. Provide additional information if you are below 18 years of age. Pay the ID card application fee, currently $10, by cash or check. The North Carolina DMV does not accept payments by credit or debit card. Confirm the location with your local DMV Office. You must also surrender any valid driver license or instruction permit issued by the state of North Carolina or any other jurisdiction.
  • by Reality Location: E NC on Jun 23, 2011 at 06:10 PM
    I can't believe all the ignorant responses here. There has NEVER been any credible evidence of widespread voter fraud at the polls. The polls are staffed by both Republican and Democratic workers, and they have ALWAYS been able to challenge ANY voter they were suspicious of. This was a shameful attempt to keep elderly, poor, and minority voters from exercising their Constitutional right to vote in America. Disgusting and shameful, and Perdue did the right thing.
      by Susan on Jun 23, 2011 at 06:53 PM in reply to Reality
      That is where you are wrong though. I moved to NC about 6 years ago. The first time I went to vote I tried to give my ID and I was told that not only was it not required by they are not allowed to ask for it, look at it or question who you say you are. I then asked, (sorry I can't quote but this is close) "so are you telling me that if someone else had come in before me using my name and address and voted, you would right not be telling me that I already voted and I would not be able to vote?" The answer was YES. I voted and immediately called the board of elections and was told that this is correct, In NC they are not allowed to ask for, look at or question who you are if you have a name and address that is valid at that polling station. If you can get to the polls every year or two to vote, you can get to DMV to get valid identification every 8 years or so (not sure how long an ID lasts, but I am sure it lasts at least as long as a license). No logical reason for this not to be law in all 50 states (52 if you ask our current president, lol).
        by in response to susan on Jun 24, 2011 at 11:56 AM in reply to Susan
        You seem well informed of voting practices, so you should also know that if they told you that you were not allowed to vote you could use a provisional ballot and your case would be reviewed.
          by Susan on Jun 24, 2011 at 12:27 PM in reply to in response to susan
          I know what I was told at the polling station and by the board of elections, that is what I stated above. Why do so many have a problem with showing ID? It is obvious to 99% posting here that this IS the right thing to do in order to protect the integrity of our election system as a whole. It is no harder to get an ID than it is to get to the polls to vote. It appears to me that we have some who are simply afraid their politicians may not be elected if there are proper checks and balances in place and enforced.
          by Dar on Jun 24, 2011 at 01:27 PM in reply to in response to susan
          To: in response to susan. You completely missed the POINT. There was voter fraud when someone voted in Susan's name. GET IT!
          by Susan on Jun 24, 2011 at 03:25 PM in reply to in response to susan
          No Dar, YOU miss the point. The point is, it is much to easy to commit voter fraud, it could lean either way, for the democrats or the republicans. Get it??? There is a post here where someone was not able to vote for just this reason, someone had voted in his name and statistically that is pretty bad odds considering the small amount of people responding here. I know noone here who is against this bill wants to admit it but ACORN did effect the last election, would the outcome have be different, probably not, but that is not the point. There has been voter fraud for years, why not just eliminate the possibility, as best we can, for all parties involved? 99% of legal american people have a valid legal ID and I would be willing to help my portion of the other 1% get theirs, how about you?
        by Anonymous on Jun 24, 2011 at 12:05 PM in reply to Susan
        obviously you can't spell hypocrite
          by Susan on Jun 24, 2011 at 12:15 PM in reply to
          done with intent, you get an A on that little quiz, congrats, lmao!!
        by Susan on Jun 24, 2011 at 03:31 PM in reply to Susan
        Sorry Dar, I misread your post, thought it was replying to me, not the responder to my post, but my sentiments remain the same. Also, please note you misread my post, there was not voter fraud in my case, I was explaining to "reality" why her/his post was incorrect but there is someone else on this string who had exactly this happen to her/him. The possibility and ease of this happening is much too large. Again, sorry I misread your post!!
      by Frank Sinatra on Jun 23, 2011 at 06:53 PM in reply to Reality
      How does this try to keep the "elderly, poor, and minority voters" from exercising their rights? Last I checked you have to show ID to cash a check, buy tobacco, but alcohol, etc... If you are afraid to prove who you are perhaps you should not be voting anyway.
        by Anonymous on Jun 24, 2011 at 08:16 AM in reply to Frank Sinatra
        The Constitution doesn't guarantee your right to cash a check, or buy tobacco and alcohol. Voting is a RIGHT that no state regulations can deny you.
          by Susan on Jun 24, 2011 at 10:00 AM in reply to
          This administratin has trampled all over the constitution, don't try to use it to your advantage now. Can you spell hypocrit?
      by Anonymous on Jun 23, 2011 at 07:03 PM in reply to Reality
      I am in the military and I have to show my ID to enter onto base, even when I am in uniform. I have to show my ID on base when making purchases at the local exchange or even at the random ID checks they do. No big deal, it doesnt harm me.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 124447174 - witn.com/a?a=124447174