Suspect Now Charged With 2nd Degree Murder In Deadly Drunk Driving Wreck

Trooper Sean Spring tells WITN a Jacksonville woman was killed by a drunk driver after a three vehicle wreck on Highway 17 on Saint Patrick’s Day.

The accident happened on Highway 17 less than a mile south of White Oak River Road around 9:15 p.m.

Trooper Spring says 40-year-old Ronald Mehrley of Jacksonville was driving a 2002 GMC pickup truck north on Highway 17 when he crossed the center line and hit a Cadillac head on.

54-year-old Charles Berry was driving the Cadillac at the time, his wife 53-year-old Cheryl Berry was in the passenger seat. Trooper Spring says Cheryl was killed. Charles was transported to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

Mehrley’s car then spun around and hit a 2005 Chevy Equinox driven by Shaneria Phillips. Phillips was not injured.

Trooper Spring says alcohol was involved. Mehrley has been charged with 2nd degree murder, DWI, careless and reckless driving, aggravating felony death, left to center, and restriction violation. He was placed in jail.

WITN has requested bond information for Mehrley. We were told by the Onslow County Sheriff's Office that information could not be released at this time.

Mehrley is expected in court Monday morning.

Part of Highway 17 was shut down for a couple of hours while troopers investigated the scene. It is now reopen.

Previous Story:

According to Onslow County dispatchers part of Highway 17 is shut down right now due to an accident.

Dispatchers say the accident is at the intersection of Highway 17 and Belgrade Extension heading into Maysville, which is in Jones County.

Troopers are on the scene right now. They tell us two people are seriously injured.

We will share more information with you as soon as it becomes available.

• by Marsha P. on Mar 23, 2012 at 01:50 PM
    I suggest also tht if you don't have anything nice to say then SHUT UP, YOU NOR I WAS THERE TO ENCOUNTER CHEYRL.S ATTITUDE BUT 2 OTHERS WERE. ALSO TO THE DRIVER SORRY HE DRANK N GOT BEHIND THE WHEEL BUT CLEAN UP AROUND YOUR OWN FRONT DOOR I'M SURE ONE.OF YOU HAVE ONCE BUT GOT AWAY WITH IT. I'M SURE THE ACCUSED IS SUFFERING ENOUGH. JUDGES,.POLICE,PASTORS ETC. MKE MISTAKES. STOP BASHING!!!
  • by Marsha P. on Mar 23, 2012 at 01:25 PM
    The person you all seem to be talkinh agains it my bbf. The.logic of this story was merely my friend sharing their unprofessional treatment her and another patron encountered which is freedom of speech and was shared privately but shared by another party. We understand you are grieving but it is what it is the person of interest wasmean and unprofessional. My friend and my perspective is to be careful how you treat people,patrons of usps or any customer,because you never know what their going thru. Also GOD doesn't like ugly. We also reap what we sow,for not only was it confirmed by the other person waiting so my friend was not the only one treated unprofessionally. The moral of this story is you can be here mistreating.someone one minute hours or whatever the case and gone in the twinkling of a eye. IF.YOU HAVE A JOB DO IT AS THO YOU LOVE IT AND OFFER COURTEOUS PEOPLE SKILLS,GOD IS LIME A SEEING EYE DOG HE SEES IT ALL!!!!
  • by Marsha P. on Mar 23, 2012 at 01:21 PM
  • by Author of Anonymous information on Mar 23, 2012 at 05:20 AM
    First, I would like to express my sentiments about the loss of your love one. I understand your feelings of anger, frustration, and other emotions that you may be experiencing at this very tragic time in your lives. I further understand your need and/or desire to lash out at someone that you feel disrespected your love one in a time of tragedy. This information was not intended to be published on a public web site. I wrote this information in a private email to some of my family and friends. One of the people that I emailed the information to took it upon herself to submit the information to the website. I have since expressed my frustrations to the person for taking this type of initiative without getting my permission. Unfortunately and fortunately, we live in a society whereas we are able to express our views without fear of retribution, or retaliation. Although I disagreed with this persons’ logic for her action, I have to respect the right of the person to have an opinion. The point that I attempted to convey to my family and friends in what I perceived to be a private email was that we needs to monitor the way that we treat each other as well as other people, because we do not want the last thoughts of us to be that of a negative connotation. There will not be any further responses from me. To reiterate, I am truly sorry for your loss and I do welcome all prayers, as I will be praying for you and your family during this time of tragedy.
  • by Bennie Location: Greenville on Mar 22, 2012 at 05:48 AM
    To the anonymous person who is complaining about a PASSPORT at a time like this it just goes to show how selfish and how petty your way of thinking is. We are mourning the death of my aunt and you choose to come up here and disrepect her in a manner such as this. I am going to be the bigger person and take the MUCH higher road and pray for you because you OBVIOUSLY have some problems that you need to work on within yourself. If I were you I would have put anonymous as well, because you CANNOT be man or woman enough to put a name behind such a tasteless statement
  • by lindaj Location: rockville md on Mar 21, 2012 at 12:28 PM
    to the person who when to the postoffice for her passport it very a disgrace for u to make that comment maybe u have a problem with cherly and it can be understand but, why make that comment to the world in a time in time this when her family lost thier sister daugther mother etc. if you really can't say something kind in this time of lost just please keep such comment to your self and maybe you got on her last nerves maybe it the way u came out of your mouth or maybe way said what u said to her. have u throught about your ways of approach an indivdual so before u write something evil about person look at self first. and it fun because cherly not here to defined herself about the last impression protrayed toward her but, i am just stop and get real about ok. and i did knew cherly so keep negative matter to yourself. if you want say anything offer pray for the family for the lost.
  • by Anonymous Location: Jacksonville on Mar 21, 2012 at 09:57 AM
    I went to Jacksonville Post Office to complete my application for my passport. I really dreaded going, because last week when I went the lady handling the passports was very mean to me.As a Matter-of-fact I had my speech already prepared. If she tried to talk to me the way that she had last week I was going to let her have it. I was going to ask her if she was angry because God had awakened her this morning. Anyway as I waited in line with other customers, we talked about how mean she was. One lady knocked on the door because it was pass her appt time. We waited a while longer,then I went inside the post office and asked if the passport office was going to open today and the customer service rep told me that the office would not be opening because the passport lady got killed on Saturday. I asked if she was the one that that a drunk driver hit, and she said yes. I told the lady that I was sorry to hear that, and she said thanks in rather non-committal kind of way. My first thought was that she must have been mean to her also. Anyway, you would have thought that a wreath would have been on the door or there would have been information on the door alerting customers that the office was closed until further notice. This is all kind of weird to me. But it does reinforce the lesson of watching how I treat people. I would hate to think that the last impression that I portrayed was that of someone who was mean. My prayers do go out to her family.
  • by Bennie Location: Greenville on Mar 20, 2012 at 01:42 PM
    My name is Bennie Raindrop and i am the nephew of Cheryl Berry. To charles i'm not saying your friend is a bad person but as i said on my tv interview he made a SELFISH choice in drinking and driving. While my aunt was the only person who lost their life it could have very well been 6 lives he took. I know that is your friend but right is right and wrong is wrong. He must now answer to God and my prayers are honestly with him in those regards because he has to live with the fact that he took my aunts life for the rest of his life. God be with him and with my family as well!
  • by linda j Location: rockville md on Mar 20, 2012 at 09:13 AM
    all who spell incorrect or correct this person who lost her life to the person take her it was a very stupid decision he make by driving drunk. it a great lost who cherly personally as i did and her family we all will miss greatly and i am devastated and angry by it and grown up with cherly and i still cannot believe it. my pray go out to her husband and son and her father and sister brothers who lost a wonderful person. i am to miss her but GOD, Knew when it waa her book of her journey would come to a close but, she in the hands of the LORD. i love you cherly always form the jordan family.
  • by Anonymous Location: craven county on Mar 20, 2012 at 02:37 AM
    he intended to drink and he killed an innocent woman.. he knew what he was doing before he took the first swallow..

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 143072636 - witn.com/a?a=143072636