Packed Room For Public Forum On GPD

What do you think about your local police department? That was the question residents and business owners in Greenville got a chance to express their opinion about candidly Monday night. The public forum was the first step in evaluation of the Greenville Police Department.

As Dr. Stephen Straus, the co- owner of Developmental Associates, noted every citizen's comment, his partner Willie Williams, former Wilson Police Chief passes the microphone to each citizen around the room at the city council chambers. They're gathering critical information to report back to the Greenville Police Chief William Anderson.

Don Cavelenii has lived in Greenville more than 25 years, and explained his first hand experience of why he thinks the department needs help.

"I was wrestled from behind thrown to the ground and never even told I was under arrest," said Cavelenii.

Cavelleni says the city ended up paying him a settlement stemming from that arrest 15 years ago, and he claims he's not the only one being treated this way.

Police personnel were not allowed at the meeting, but Chief Anderson told WITN Monday morning he hopes the communites input will help better the department.

The second part of the evaluation will be speaking to the officers of the department then the final recommendations will be given to Chief Anderson.

• by Anonymous on Jan 10, 2011 at 10:41 AM
    I respect and am very grateful for police, firemen, military, etc, as long as they are properly using their power and not abusing it. When it comes to driving though, I'm starting to believe police officers will do anything to cause a wreck just so they can be there when it happens and pass out tickets. I can't count the number of times I've had a vehicle on my tail, when I wasn't speeding, and it turned out to be a cop car. Most recently, I was going under the speed limit in a 35 mph zone right after the snow after Christmas. The roads were still frozen and a car gets right up on me and remains there until I finally turned. Once I turned, I then noticed it was a police car. That little stunt couldn't have been more dangerous. Someone needs to teach these cops about safe driving.
  • by Eli Location: Greenville on Jan 10, 2011 at 09:09 AM
    Police are adrenaline junkies.
  • by responder Location: ecu on Jan 10, 2011 at 06:52 AM
    Hey pdc, funny how you think it's okay for cops not to be perfect but I'm sure you have no problem locking up other people who are "not perfect". Sounds like a bit of a double standard today. Why is it okay that cops can make mistakes that hurt other people yet drug dealers or more specifically cannabis users can have their lives destroyed for a plant while hurting NO one just because that law is enforced because it is financially beneficial for the PD to arrest people for this crime vs a violent one.
  • by censored Location: pootown on Jan 10, 2011 at 06:39 AM
    I'm suprised that witn is actually letting some of these comments actually be posted. Considering they typically just report was the sheriff tells them to so he can pat himself on the back. For those of you who don't know this isn't exactly a free speech forum. Post something a bit controversial or against the agenda of someone in power at the station and you get nixed. I'd be suprised if this even makes it past their censors. Funny how they can carry such an opinion on and report all the supposed terrible crimes since they have such a hard time finding any positive or inspiration news to tell us about.
  • by ProJustice Location: greenville on Jan 10, 2011 at 06:34 AM
    OK Justice, hear's the deal with you requiring lie detector tests. They don't always work. It is not 100% effective. They can, with practice, be manipulated so that they are not at all accurate. I think this would waste more tax payer dollars and would not really prevent the police abuse of power that seems so prevalent due to the "God complex", which I see very frequently. Plus you'll just end up having people abuse the lie detector tests just like the cops abuse their power. I believe the real problem is the sheriff and the superior officers that don't care about anything but getting paid. So they focus on financially beneficial crimes like fighting the failing drug war so they can steal money from these people instead of protecting us from the violent criminals which doesn't get them paid.
  • by bottom line Location: Greenville on Jan 10, 2011 at 06:19 AM
    Here's the bottom line. I used to have the utmost respect for the police. And some of them I still do, as they are genuinely trying to keep us safe. HOWEVER, I have recently had the unfortunate experience of being on the other side of the law and have found that the majority of them don't give a d*mn about you. They are here to get paid, they're cops for the adrenaline rush, they "serve" for the opportunity to legal beat the snot out of people that "deserve" it. Many of the police enforce the laws that they make the department money. This is primarily as a result of the orders they have but the bottom line is that they arrest "criminals" to get paid not to protect. Don't worry they will justify it by the infamous "I'm just doing my job" line. They will lie and do whatever it takes to get that money. Many of them are the most dishonest people I've ever meet. They are like war criminals who claim they are "just following orders" regardless of who they hurt.
  • by LEO Location: ENC on Jan 7, 2011 at 05:51 AM
    Justice: As a LEO I will agree that at least 5 percent of all officers need to be terminated because they are lazy or incompetent. Those officers who are criminals on duty are fired once they are identified, if the department is worth anything, and never work in law enforcement again. Getting "qualified" applicants is hard, even in these tough economic times. Pay is usually poor, shift work causes family problems and then there are the "career criminals" who we arrest on a regular basis and find them back on the street the next day, because some judge wants to give him/her "just one more chance." NO, we are not perfect, but about 95 percent of us want to do a good job and meet the positive expectations of our communities. I would be willing to bet that about 5 percent of your co-workers are lazy and need to go find other employment. Bad apples are found everywhere and need to be fired from any job, but that just doesn't always happen. Bad police just make the newspaper editors happy.
  • by Justice on Jan 5, 2011 at 01:17 AM
    To 1108; Thats not the point of my posts, the point is that someone has to police the police!! For every cop that got caught, theres probably many more that got covered UP by the police themselves. Citizens sometimes need protection FROM the police! And who do we call for that? Video cameras has come a long way to expose bad cops, but there needs to be more done to make sure they dont break the laws themselves, and if they do, there needs to be someone with the power to investigate just that, without any interference from the police themselves.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 4, 2011 at 08:08 PM
    to Justice, For every story you have about a bad cop there are thousands for low life criminals. Criminals are the problem and those who support and defend them.
  • by crazy Location: going crazy on Jan 4, 2011 at 07:56 PM
    Interesting to see all of these comments... There are alot of innocent people going to jail. There is more to law enforcement than being a badge holder. One must also consider the politics and government corruption. Judges, DA's and Sheriff's, County Commissioners, etc... have elections to win; so whoever they sacrifice for themselves is of no consequence. When you scratch their backs they may scratch yours; beware! The odds are not in your favor.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 112839749 - witn.com/a?a=112839749