POLICE: Man Who Shot Woman And Then Himself Died

Goldsboro police say the man they believe murdered a woman and then shot himself died.

They are now calling the case a murder-suicide.

Police were called to Slaughter Street Sunday. They say on arrival, they found the body of 26-year-old Tequilla Barrett of Hugh Street inside a vehicle. They said they believe she died from apparent gunshot wounds.

Police then found 30-year-old Derris Oates of Dakota Street near the vehicle, with what they say appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Oates was taken to Wayne Memorial Hospital then transferred to Pitt County Memorial Hospital where he died.

Police say Oates and Barret have had a relationship in the past, and he is the father of her two children.

• by Just Saying Location: in my home on Jul 7, 2011 at 12:03 PM
    The person who replied To Just My Opinion...PLease shut up...This is not a time to argue..This situation is already bad enough...He cleary said he wish the person that killed his daughter did the same as the guy that killed Qilia...not talking about James but his own experience...Read more and talk less.
  • by Mavis-BK Location: Selma on Jan 11, 2011 at 03:33 PM
    Derrick Oates and family- my love, my prayers and my thoughts are with you every moment.We never know what the lord has in store for us to deal with in our lifetime.Let everyone have their opinion, point their fingers and say what they would have done. The bottom line is -now- embrace each other, get on your knees and asks for 'HIS' guidance and raise 2 children with the love and fellowship that their parents knew from what you instilled in them. We all make choices that we are not proud of. We have all sinned. For God gave his only begotten son- for Who? YOU and ME!! You are all good people and need to remmember that. Help each other find peace. My sincere blessings and thoughts are with you and your families! I thank you for all you have done for me and I love you.
  • by Anonymous Location: North Carolina on Jan 4, 2011 at 11:13 PM
    The devil is so busy!! This is one of the saddest stories I have ever heard. I pray for both families because they will desperately need it.
  • by kellie coworker on Jan 4, 2011 at 12:10 PM
    I never said what happen was ok.To kill anyone is never ok.All i'm saying is these family are trying to work through this together.when everyone has so much to say that can cause problems.For we will never know what their relationship was really like with out hear from them.why not pray and help them get threw this together because there are two kids that need both sides.lets talk about help,not what you think or heard what happen.were u in that relationship? Let's let them get threw this one day at a time.This is when they really need help after it's over.(God said he'll put no more on you then you can bare).Let's help with just those words.If we don't forgive do you think god will for give you. Do you think you will be able to inter into heaven if you Don't forgive?We all have sin and come short of he's glory.Not saying I'm ok with anything at all.I loved kellie,and miss her dearly.I'm not at all please with what happen,don't get me wrong.now my main concerned are peace 4 both family
  • by Anonymous2 on Jan 3, 2011 at 09:30 PM
    Well, you know what?? Everyone is, indeed, entitled to their own opinions. Picking up a gun and shooting someone and/or myself is something that I just won't do. How can I say that? Easily, because waking up in HELL is not an option!! Because rather it's meant or not, I'm waking up in HELL!! Again, there's no justifable reason for a person to take anyone else's life and/or their own!! It's not judging...it is what it is!!!! He did not have to take HER Life....Selfish!!!!
  • by kellia co/worker on Jan 3, 2011 at 12:08 PM
    These two family are working through this together something must people can't do.So i take my hat off to them Lets stop pointing fingers. If you really what to help there are two kids that needs a lot more than to keep hearing what happen with their parents They needs pray and someone to be their when they are going threw it may be over for many but never for them.Their mom love them to death i no she told me so and she loved jamie also. Will never no so lets keep praying and helping them when you can.When you truly love someone you never no what may happen You can say I'll never do that and end up doing the same thing not meaning to but love told you that was best.We are on the outside looking in. don't judge or say if you don't know.The only two that know are no longer here keep these family's in pray.If they can work through this together then we should be able to let gods work be done.
  • by Anonymous2 on Dec 30, 2010 at 11:01 PM
    Pressure of the holidays has nothing to do with it! 1) Folk shouldn't say things, especially if they don't know the situation and 2)How don't care how much pain that there is in a persons eyes; there is NEVER EVER a justifiable reason to take someone else's life!! Period!
  • by BeenThroughThisWithFamily Location: Doesnt Matter on Dec 30, 2010 at 08:02 PM
    Domestic Violence has no boundaries, its not always initiated by one sex more than the other. Men get jealous, women become rebelious. Thats what excuses the public sector would like to believe/ bottomline is this, be it woman be it man, there are people that are control freaks, be it woman be it man, there are some people that have low self esteem, and be it woman be it man, there are some people that feel for one reason or another be it for the kids, be it financial security, or plain old peer approvable they have to have a man or woman on their arm, no matter what goes on behind close doors, no man or woman wants to be abused. no one enjoys the physical pain, mental pain and public embarrassment of domestic violence, and children left behind dont deserve being left without parents. Fathers teach your sons how to walk away, if the woman fusses, mothers teach your daughters to walk away as well, and both teach your children relationships have no place for violence in them
  • by Pressure! on Dec 30, 2010 at 04:33 PM
    The pressure of the holidays. Happy New Year!
  • by Anonymous2 on Dec 29, 2010 at 09:31 PM
    To Formerly in GSB: First of all, that "girl" that you are referring to was a Woman. Just telling by what you wrote, you didn't know them and your just typically giving YOUR opinion on a situation that you absolutely know NOTHING about!! So, what were the signs?? And how do you recognize a good man?? Would you be saying the same, had this happened to your child??

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 112548414 - witn.com/a?a=112548414