PCMH Surgical Team Makes North Carolina "First" Twice In Same Day

The first robotic lung resection operation done in North Carolina took place last week in Greenville, followed by a second successful surgery.

Dr. Sharon Ben-Or, a thoracic surgeon performed two cases on Wednesday at Pitt County Memorial Hospital, both involving the right lung. A wedge resection is the removal of a small part of the lung, along with healthy tissue that surrounds the lung.

The first case involved a malignant lesion, while the second case dealt with a fungal infection. The hospital says both patients are doing well.

"The robot allows for 3D movement inside the lung. The instruments provide better visualizations to perform the procedure," Ben-Or said. "The minimally invasive procedure allows for more complex resections, minimizes the pain and decreases post-operative care for a quicker recovery."

• by Marilyn Location: Raleigh on Nov 22, 2010 at 10:35 AM
    This is great news, do they do this in the Raleigh area, I cannot find it online?
  • by laura Location: greenville on Nov 16, 2010 at 11:34 AM
    Good show! Thanks to everyone in the healthcare industry who work to bring new and innovative procedures to our region.
  • by Nurse on Nov 16, 2010 at 10:46 AM
    this type of news is the last of its kind. Under Obamacare it will all end.
  • by Susie Location: Martin County on Nov 16, 2010 at 08:11 AM
    I first of all thank God and secondly the staff, doctors, nurses and all employees of PCMH. I have had 3 surgeries there and my 2 siblings have had serious operations there. I can honestly say I had great treatment that went beyond the call of duty from caretakers and other employees there. May God continue to bless you as you bless others. I think this is great news for everyone. No hospital is perfect for there are no perfect people, but I trust my life with this one anyday. THANK YOU!!!!!!
  • by Big Red Location: Greenville on Nov 15, 2010 at 11:29 AM
    Three cheers for Greenville and PCMH! Its about time something good came out of this town, which I knew it would. Of course, PCMH and ECU have always been the plums in Greenville's pudding (along with a very good airport at PGV). Keep up the good work and lets have more of this instead of the usual line up on mugshot row.
  • by roy Location: Winterville on Nov 15, 2010 at 11:22 AM
    Fantastic. Healthy now, but no one know what lies ahead. PCMH is a great resource, hope it stays that way under Obamacare.
  • by past patient Location: gville on Nov 15, 2010 at 11:17 AM
    I had a lap wedge resection done at Pitt back in 1992. Dr John Hale and Dr Carter where my surgeons. I couldn't of been blessed more with 2 highly skilled surgeons (Pitt Surgical). I was discharged within a day or so and have been great. Does robotic cost more than lap, I would think so. God bless these MD's.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 15, 2010 at 09:59 AM
    We are blessed to have UHS/PCMH in this area. Congrats to them for their good work!
  • by Working Class Citizen Location: Martin Co. on Nov 15, 2010 at 09:57 AM
    Very proud of Eastern NC and the talented healthcare people we have in our own backyards. Wake up Obama and politicians, we (the US) have the best healthcare delivery system in the World. We don't need you politicians to meddle in it and mess it up just like you have medicare, social security and the medicaid system(which is abused).
  • by Russ Location: Henderson on Nov 15, 2010 at 08:36 AM
    Finally some good news. Great job.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 108175569 - witn.com/a?a=108175569