PCC Changes Campus Smoking Policy

While some community colleges gone tobacco free on their campuses, one here in the east will allow smoking in designated areas only.

Pitt Community College says its new smoking policy went into effect Monday, that only allows smoking in gazebos and designated smoking benches throughout the campus.

PCC’s previous policy permitted smoking outside of campus buildings as long as smokers were 25 feet or further from building entrances. Administrators say the new smoking policy is a result of a student and employee survey concerning smoking on campus.

• by Chris Location: Greenville on Aug 16, 2011 at 03:10 PM
    What is going to be the policy on winter time smoking? Are the rights of smokers gonna get trampled by having to smoke and shiver outside, or will there be heaters at these outdoor areas.
      by Really?? on Aug 16, 2011 at 05:08 PM in reply to Chris
      Were there heaters in the first place when smokers had to huddle outside in the winter? Doubt it! Guess this is what they mean when they say "give an inch and they'll take a mile". Feel lucky, atleast Pitt students will have smoking areas. At Beaufort our smoking area is the patch of grass beside a busy highway.
        by Chris on Aug 17, 2011 at 03:34 AM in reply to Really??
        First place? Is this a race,or are you talking about the first tobacco smokers? If you are talking about the first smokers, they probably had no whining people to say anything.They smoked where they wanted to, or built a fire to keep warm if they smoked outside. Its not about an inch or a mile its about treating people a certain way, if the "powers that be" want to isolate them.
  • by Anonymous Location: Greenville on Aug 16, 2011 at 12:22 PM
    I think in theory this is a good idea. Those that choose to smoke have a designated place and those that do not will not have to worry about smoke when they come out of the building. However, if memory serves me correctly something similar to this was put into place before I graduated from ECU and it was not able to be enforced. I am wondering if the same thing will occur here.
  • by Doug on Aug 16, 2011 at 11:44 AM
    If you tear down what tobacco built out there, nothing left but an open park. According to city council you would not be able to smoke at all in the park. Go figure. At least liberals did not get there way this time.
  • by josh Location: greenville, nc on Aug 16, 2011 at 10:24 AM
    this is a good idea and i hate walking between multiple people smoking right outside the doors of the building...i don't want to stink like you do...sad thing is, people will still smoke outside the building
      by OSOC on Aug 16, 2011 at 12:32 PM in reply to josh
      I think treating people like human beings whether they stink or not, is more important. You should hang around with someone who does smoke, I think its persecution and dissrespectfull to throw granny out in the rain on a freezing cold day at RDU so she can had a smoke. All because some people do not like the smell. There are many things I don't like to smell either, however, that is life.
        by duh on Aug 16, 2011 at 01:02 PM in reply to OSOC
        The smell, which does in fact stink, isn't the #1 concern when it comes to this issue. There's a little something called second-hand smoke which kills people. I want to live, therefore I choose not to smoke. So, I'd appreciate it if everyone who does chose to smoke would stay in there own area. K thanks
          by OSOC on Aug 16, 2011 at 01:52 PM in reply to duh
          If you tell a lie long enough it becomes the truth. The EPA made the ruling after a judge threw the study out due to lack of a real health study. It was politics. If you think that second hand smoke is more dangerous than primary smoke, you should be in school. I think putting your mouth on a tail pipe of a car is far more dangerous than standing by the street...thats just me as I am trained in particulate and gaseous filtration...
  • by Citizen Location: Greenville on Aug 16, 2011 at 07:56 AM
    Good move... the signs were ignored and it was a mess walking into a cloud of smoke before going into class. I think having a covered area for smokers is a good idea that takes their 'comfort' into account as well. Good compromise.
  • by Anon on Aug 16, 2011 at 07:25 AM
    I smoke and I agree with this. I don't mind walking a few feet to a spot where I can smoke without bothering anyone else.
      by lily on Aug 16, 2011 at 12:33 PM in reply to Anon
      .......Or anyone bothering you!!! They can go around you at the smoking areas. Thanks to those who came up with this compromise.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 127828093 - witn.com/a?a=127828093