Operation Stop Arm In Effect

Troopers are targeting drivers who break traffic laws around school buses and school zones this week.

Operation Stop Arm starts Monday. Troopers say they will be on the look out for drivers passing school buses where they have their stop arms out.

In recent years, three children have been killed at bus stops while trying to board or exit their bus. The penalty for violating the stop arm law is a mandatory court appearance and five points on a convicted drivers's record.

The school bus stop laws can be found here:
Opens in New Window

• by Cegus Location: Washington on Oct 17, 2011 at 01:54 PM
    Bus drivers really need to go ahead and put out their stop sign BEFORE the children start loading.
  • by Anonymous on Oct 17, 2011 at 11:43 AM
    Many people think that your supposed to stop even if there is a center or turn lane between your car and the stopped bus but that is not correct.
  • by rob on Oct 17, 2011 at 11:31 AM
    Grammar Witch, are you ignorant? Don't announce that they are targeting drivers who break traffic laws around and school buses or drunk drivers?! If they don't announce it then people will break the law and hurt someone! It's about being safe therefore announcing it will deter these drivers and maybe even save YOUR life
      by K on Oct 17, 2011 at 04:37 PM in reply to rob
      No what she means is by announcing it, people will be more careful this week in order to avoid it.
  • by Victor Location: Greenville on Oct 17, 2011 at 10:55 AM
    Might be helpful to run a blurb in Spanish at the bottom of local TV news programs and on the Spanish/Latino channels about the laws regarding stopped school buses, school zone speed limits and the cost of arrests/tickets for breaking those laws. I am not saying that only Mexican/Latino people may be breaking the law so perhaps running the same info in English might be helpful too? Just a suggestion that could save lives. Are you listening, MEDIA?!
  • by Paula Bland Location: Greenville on Oct 17, 2011 at 09:56 AM
    My child has almost been hit a few times because people either keep going or get right on the stop sign I have called the sherrifs department and say they will send someone to keep look of the streets never seen anyone . I got with the school and bus driver and thankfully she does not open the bus doors untill she knows everyone is at a complete stop
  • by Anonymous on Oct 17, 2011 at 08:08 AM
    NC drivers are the worst in the nation. Need to give these people an IQ test along with the drivers test. That should week out about 75% of NC drivers.
      by Anonymous on Oct 17, 2011 at 02:21 PM in reply to
      Guess you have never driven the interstate in the Hampton Rds area.
  • by Anonymous on Oct 17, 2011 at 07:40 AM
    As a train buff, I'd like to see them crack down on the idiots that try to beat the train to the crossing...especially so when the driver goes around the lowered crossing gates.
  • by Easy Rider Location: ENC on Oct 17, 2011 at 06:59 AM
    I travel a 2 lane road everyday to work. If I leave my house at the right time, I will not get behind the school bus. But when I do ( and others), there is always a dum-dum that tries to pass about 4 cars and the bus with the double-yellow line facing in. I blow my horn at them but my husband said not to do that anymore just in case of road-rage. But it tickles me to see the same car at the stoplight in town right next to me!!!!
  • by StopSign Location: ENC on Oct 17, 2011 at 05:51 AM
    Can they get people to stop for stop signs too...Most people treat them like Yield signs...
  • by U-Reely Location: New Bern on Oct 17, 2011 at 05:41 AM
    All they have to do is target 55 between 2:45 and 3:30PM AND they can catch the school bus passers, the speeders, the vehicles passing on curves and no passing zones and just plain being stupid. Some of these idiots don't even need to have a license and maybe some of them don't. Every day, going home at these times I see multiple violations. Every day mind you, every day.
      by Anonymous on Oct 17, 2011 at 08:34 AM in reply to U-Reely
      Exactly, I put up a camera on my road and no record of a state patrol car for 4 days. The speed limit is 55 between 2 curves. Let me say that when a road becomes residental the speed limit should be lowered duh. There are just so many stupid people today that there should be a spay and neuter clinic for them. Stop breeding stupid.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 131968218 - witn.com/a?a=131968218