Man Killed By Off-Duty Officer Was Havelock Firefighter

The State Bureau of Investigation is looking into the shooting death of a Havelock firefighter by an off-duty law enforcement officer.

Swansboro Police Chief Ed Parrish tells WITN News that it happened Thursday evening. He says they received reports that someone was walking around the Norris Road area, firing a gun.

Parrish identified the dead man as 27-year-old Austin Zundel. WITN News has learned Zundel was a paid firefighter for Havelock, and a former Marine. The city says he had worked for them since July of last year.

The officer has been identified as 44-year-old Adam Stock, a reserve officer with the Onslow County Sheriff Department and contract instructor at the Marine Corps Law Enforcement Academy.

Parrish says Stock got into a fight with Zundel and ended up shooting him. The chief says both men lived in the neighborhood.

Zundel was airlifted to Pitt County Memorial Hospital where he later died. The Pitt County Medial Examiner's Office says Zundel died from multiple gunshot wounds and have listed his death as a homicide.

The SBI is investigating the shooting to see if it was justified or not. It will be up to the district attorney to decide whether any charges will be brought because of the shooting.

Previous Story

A shooting is being investigated in Swansboro in Onslow county.

Onslow County Communications says one person was shot, possibly in the chest. It happened at a residence on Channel Marker Loop Road around 9:30 p.m. Thursday.

A helicopter was dispatched to transport the victim. It's believed that person was taken to the naval hospital at Camp Lejeune. At this time it's not known how severe the injury is or what might have led to the shooting. Be sure to stay with WITN and witn.com for updates.

• by Beagleandme on Feb 21, 2011 at 09:06 PM
    This is such a sad situation. My heart really aches for Austin's wife, mother, and the rest of his family. His family will be in my prayers. May God help them find peace through this terrible time.
  • by this is unbelieveable on Feb 21, 2011 at 07:25 PM
    Law enforcement officers are not trained to shoot to kill. With that being said, we are not trained to shoot to injure either. We are trained to meet deadly force with deadly force and to protect ourselves and innocent third parties against the imminent threat of deadly force. We are also trained to shoot center mass. I have seen Deputy Stock shoot and he is an expert marksman. He always shoots very proficient scores. 4 shots to stop the imminent use of deadly force is not unreasonable. I'm not just saying this because I am a law enforcement officer, i'm saying it because it's the truth. Until someone has been put in the situation of having to defend your life and the lives of innocent people around you, keep your negative comments to yourself please.
  • by distrust on Feb 21, 2011 at 10:37 AM
    I cant believe the amount of distrust that the public apparently has in Law Enforcement. You would think that they would trust that he was a cop and that he was forced to do this. When this report comes out i hope all of you LEO haters feel extremely asshamed with your comments and attitudes about what happened. Adam is a LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER. As a LEO he was tasked "protecting and serving" the public. Understand that there is NO LEO that ever says I want to ever use my weapon. ALL of them say I want to de-escalate the situation so i don't have to use my weapon. When de-escalation doesn't or will not work and they are forced to use there weapon it is not something that they take lightly. when they say they fought first, well i can only imagine that dep stock was only attempting to deescalate the situation and mr zundel didnt let that happen.
  • by LEO Location: ENC on Feb 21, 2011 at 09:33 AM
    c-had: Do you ever read what you write before you hit the post block ?? If all the Marines and other military members in law enforcement were taken off the street it would make America return to the old wild west days where the fastest gun ruled the town. I am currently in my 20th year of law enforcement after 22 years in the Corps, and I haven't shot anyone as of this date. Get over it, someone has to protect you guys from yourselves and ensure you have the time to post your outlandish comments.
  • by Darren Location: Kill Devil Hills on Feb 21, 2011 at 07:24 AM
    Hank of New Bern you are right. It's not like it used to be when all your fights were with your fist and after that you chill out and have a cold one. They think the gun is the answer. Only cowards do that.
  • by wow on Feb 21, 2011 at 05:11 AM
    If I had been walking down the street and saw Stocks shooting could I have taken out my wepon and fired upon him because he was shooting at people and I feared for my life? Unless he was shot at he went way overboard.
  • by Chris on Feb 21, 2011 at 04:18 AM
    You would be correct you do fire a warning shot in the army. There is no warning shots in law enforcement only lethal shots. A warning shot may br that split second between life and death. Thts the reality.
  • by Drew on Feb 20, 2011 at 09:48 PM
    I'm reading all this and not once has anyone asked is deputy stock ok. Well I'll ask is he ok? That was the only comment I could think of. I have to trust that he is a deputy for a reason and that he was forced to do something I am sure he didnt want to do. I don't think there's anything else to say.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 20, 2011 at 09:10 PM
    @c-had these idiot troops as you put it keep your as safe a night, how about a little respect?
  • by Anonymous on Feb 20, 2011 at 09:08 PM
    Police departments are life saving organizations, not life taking ones. 4 shots is excessive I feel. Seems like he wanted to make sure he was dead. I wasn't there so perhaps it was what was required. I knew and went to school with Austin though. He was always a good kid. I was in the army, so Anon poster that says anyone trained in self-defense is taught to shoot to kill, we in the ARMY are trained to escalate force, shout, shove, show( intent to use weapon), shoot (warning shot), THEN shoot to kill. Austin you will be missed. My thoughts go out to the families of all involved. RIP Austin.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 116447508 - witn.com/a?a=116447508