UPDATE: Camp Lejeune Marine Killed In Crash On Bridge

Emerald Isle Police say a Camp Lejeune Marine was killed in a wreck on the Highway 58 bridge Friday night.

Police Chief Bill Hargett said Vicente Gomez was a 31 year old Marine at the base in Jacksonville.

Chief Hargett said Gomez was trying to pass a car when he ran into a FedEx Home Delivery truck, which is a smaller vehicle than a large FedEx truck. The head-on collision killed Gomez and injured two in the FedEx vehicle. Police said Stephen Menard of Wilmington and Billy Emory of Durham were injured, but their injuries were considered non-life-threatening.

Chief Hargett says several witnesses told police Gomez was driving at a high rate of speed, perhaps as fast as 100 mph.

Previous Story:
Emerald Isle Police are still investigating an accident from Friday night that killed one person and injured two others.

They say it happened just off the Emerald Isle Bridge Friday around 9:30 when one vehicle tried to pass another traveling on Highway 58 and then hit an oncoming vehicle head on. The driver of the passing car was killed, the two passengers in the other car were transported to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

Officers have not released the names of those involved in the crash.

• by Anonymous on Mar 11, 2011 at 02:31 PM
    Ginny you were like my brother and you always will be
  • by Aileen C. Location: Long Island New York on Dec 10, 2010 at 03:31 PM
    Rest in Peace SSGT Vincente Gomez.You were such a nice person.When Nicholas called me from Afghanistan to tell me this devasting news I just staring crying.Just 3 years ago you came to Nicholas' going away party to become a Marine.I have pictures of you dancing with my sister and you had that great, beautiful smile on your face.Everytime my sister and I came to see you at the recruiting office in smithtown to talk to you about Nicholas because being Nicholas' mother I constantly worry about him. You always listened to me and was always there to give me comforting words that everything will be fine. I feel so bad for your 2 children and your family. You will be greatly missed as a son, a father, a sibling and a MARINE.You will be in my prayers and thoughts.My whole family is very saddened. May God Bless You SSGT Vincente Gomez and God Bless Your Family.
  • by Melissa S. Location: New York on Dec 10, 2010 at 01:59 PM
    Rest in peace. You were an amazing person, and my brother Paul has looked up to you for years. My family thanks you for all you've done. I am deeply sorry for the family of SSGT Gomez, my prayers are with you all.
  • by Melissa S. Location: New York on Dec 10, 2010 at 01:53 PM
    Rest in peace. you truly were a great person. My brother Paul has looked up to you for years. Thank you for being there for him the way you were. My family thanks you for all you've done. My heart goes out to the family of ssgt Gomez. Iam terribly sorry. You will be missed forever.
  • by Michael Schweit Location: New York on Dec 10, 2010 at 12:46 PM
    RIP SSgnt Gomez. You helped make my brother, Corporal Paul Schweit, the man and Marine he is today. You also had a massive impact on my entire family and we all grieve for you. You were the best Marine I knew. Paul has looked at you like a father figure and you mean a lot to him. I have never heard or seen him as upset as he is now. Rest In Peace and God Bless your family.
  • by anonymous Location: NC on Dec 9, 2010 at 03:18 PM
    Was he drunk?
  • by anonymous Location: AZ on Dec 8, 2010 at 12:58 PM
    RIP SSgnt Vincente Gomez. Whether the accident was a mistake, or not, he was a truly Amazing, Respectful & Caring person. Whoever did not get to meet him, has missed out on a great relationship, but has no right to bad mouth him. This person has lost their life, & it is extreamly disrespectful to post unnecessary comments of belittlement. You will be missed Gomez. Thank You for serving us & Thank You for blessing us with your warm soul.
  • by we loved him on Dec 6, 2010 at 03:57 PM
    Kathy: as you have heard if you dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all. You dont know him and he was a loving person and has two very wonderful children who he has left behind. and you had no right for that first comment bc he was and still is a great person who i know personally would never drive in a unsafe way. he was very careful. this had to have truly been a accident. the lose of Vincent is taken a big part of our live, if you comment on this please watch what you say he does have a family and meant a lot to many people. thank you r.i.p Vinny
  • by Anonymous on Dec 6, 2010 at 02:53 PM
    nicole: Nope Shameka: i'm praying for swift recovery and healing for both your husband and his co-worker...God bless your families!
  • by Nicole Location: Wilmington, NC on Dec 6, 2010 at 01:53 PM
    Anyone know if he was driving a Blue Honda Odyssey?

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 111343699 - witn.com/a?a=111343699