NEW INFO: One Hospitalized After Farmville Fire

By: Brittany Gunter
By: Brittany Gunter

A young Farmville man is in intensive care at Pitt County Memorial Hospital after a fire ripped through his cousin's apartment early this morning.

The fire in an upstairs apartment above Al's Barber Shop on South Main Street in Farmville broke out around 7:15 a.m.

Brandon Vines, who lives in the apartment, says his cousin came by around 5:00 a.m. and asked if he could sleep there. Vines says Josh Streeter lit a cigarette on the stove and somehow the stove caught fire and spread to the rest of the apartment. He believes his cousin went to sleep and didn't realize the fire had begun.

The 19-year-old Vines says he and another family member were also sleeping in the apartment and were awakened by a smoke alarm to a lot of flames and smoke. He says they tried to get his cousin out, but Vines believes Streeter inhaled too much smoke and wouldn't wake up. Streeter, who is 21-years-old, was eventually found by rescuers curled up in a ball, according to his cousin.

The American Red Cross is helping Vines out, putting him up in a hotel for a few days.


Previous Story

One person was taken to Pitt County Memorial Hospital after a fire in Farmville this morning.

Farmville Fire-Rescue officials say the fire broke out at 3870 S. Main St. around 7:15 a.m. today. The fire appears to have started near a stove in the upstairs apartment; there is a business on the first floor.

We don't know at this time who was taken to the hospital or how serious their injuries are.

The fire was confined to the upstairs area, officials say. The businesses downstairs appear to be fine.

Fire crews have cleared the scene after extinguishing the blaze.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Formerly O.L.I. Location: ENC on Dec 15, 2011 at 04:48 AM
    Oh dear; hope that young man will recover. Perhaps, there will be a fundraising drive for him. The family will likely need help with his medical care. If I see any donation spots, will try to help. God bless him.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 14, 2011 at 02:04 PM
    Red Oak fire Dept has taking a nose dive.
    • reply
      by grandmere on Dec 14, 2011 at 02:49 PM in reply to
      What has that statement got to do with this story?
    • reply
      by Anonymous on Dec 14, 2011 at 05:42 PM in reply to
      Dude, that was the dumdest thing I heard all day.
    • reply
      by Whoa! on Dec 14, 2011 at 05:58 PM in reply to
      It's "Red Oak Fire Dept. has taken a nose dive". And just because they won't let you join doesn't mean they are a bad dept. Yeah, what does your comment have to do with Farmville anyway?
      • reply
        by So Wrong on Dec 15, 2011 at 05:28 AM in reply to Whoa!
        Why would anyone want to be apart of a Fire Dept that won't let the members have a say so.
  • by Luv Location: Greenville on Dec 14, 2011 at 10:03 AM
    Praying that he has a speedy and complete recovery from this incident.
    • reply
      by Jackie on Dec 14, 2011 at 12:36 PM in reply to Luv
      Yes it is something all the time! My hope is for the same thing and God take care of the Family in this time.
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 135572778 - witn.com/a?a=135572778
Gray Television, Inc.