A young Farmville man is in intensive care at Pitt County Memorial Hospital after a fire ripped through his cousin's apartment early this morning.
The fire in an upstairs apartment above Al's Barber Shop on South Main Street in Farmville broke out around 7:15 a.m.
Brandon Vines, who lives in the apartment, says his cousin came by around 5:00 a.m. and asked if he could sleep there. Vines says Josh Streeter lit a cigarette on the stove and somehow the stove caught fire and spread to the rest of the apartment. He believes his cousin went to sleep and didn't realize the fire had begun.
The 19-year-old Vines says he and another family member were also sleeping in the apartment and were awakened by a smoke alarm to a lot of flames and smoke. He says they tried to get his cousin out, but Vines believes Streeter inhaled too much smoke and wouldn't wake up. Streeter, who is 21-years-old, was eventually found by rescuers curled up in a ball, according to his cousin.
The American Red Cross is helping Vines out, putting him up in a hotel for a few days.
One person was taken to Pitt County Memorial Hospital after a fire in Farmville this morning.
Farmville Fire-Rescue officials say the fire broke out at 3870 S. Main St. around 7:15 a.m. today. The fire appears to have started near a stove in the upstairs apartment; there is a business on the first floor.
We don't know at this time who was taken to the hospital or how serious their injuries are.
The fire was confined to the upstairs area, officials say. The businesses downstairs appear to be fine.
Fire crews have cleared the scene after extinguishing the blaze.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.