Officials: Source of UBE Breach is Outside of U.S.

At least 100 East Carolina University students say they have lost money when their accounts were accessed in a security breach at a college book store.

University Book Exchange owner Don Edwards told The Daily Reflector of Greenville last week that the breach happened sometime in January. Edwards says it's the first time anything like this has happened in the store's more than 40-year history.

Students began reporting suspicious transactions in their bank accounts, most of them related to university-issued debit cards.

Investigators say they think the source of the breach is outside the U.S. Local police are taking reports so students can go to their banks to try to get their money back.

• by Ashley Location: Pantego on Feb 17, 2011 at 07:48 AM
    My problem is with UBE and ECU!! My credit card number got stolen back in January right after they had the news report and it was my highone account. I reported it and It is Still be investigated by higherone....and now after we were told that supposedly the leak was fixed my boyfriend used his credit card at UBE and he just found out today that his number was stolen!!!!UBE needs to get themselves together!!!!!
  • by Lalala Location: .... on Feb 15, 2011 at 05:29 AM
    I had money taken out of my account Saturday. My bank called for fraud protection after purchase made, but the money was still taken. Contaced police, filled out bank paperwork, getting my money back. I do NOT use Higher One. If they have bad service, blame them, not the store. If you want to shop at UBE but don't feel safe, use cash...and get rid of your Higher One account if you don't like them.
  • by bob on Feb 14, 2011 at 04:55 PM
    @O.L.I. Get off you high tooting horn and quite comparing your high society university degree (if you even have one!) to ECU! I was accepted to some of these high society universities and ECU was my chose of school to go to. Yes, I do pretty well with my degree from ECU. I want to say thank you ECU for giving me a chance to graduate with a degree! Yes, some people may have made bad decisions and the consequences will be given once the investigations is fully done!
  • by REM Location: ENC on Feb 14, 2011 at 02:20 PM
    @Sandy: I don't know if anyone has enough data yet to place the blame solely on UBE. They claimed to be industry standard security compliant, so I would speculate that more blame rests with Higher-one and their poor/non-existent security/fraud prevention. I shop at UBE all the time, and if a rogue charge of 1,000 would have processed on my account, I would have received a phone call asking if that was me making the purchase. Don't blame UBE for the shortfall of higher-one.
  • by Alex Location: Pirate Nation on Feb 14, 2011 at 02:18 PM
    To everyone slamming the Higher One card, this has nothing to do with them. I unfortunately was a victim of this breach and I was using my bank-issued debit card not the Higher One card. The actual numbers were stolen so it does not matter what kind of card was used. Lets try to be a little better informed before you guys try to make a valid argument about something you know nothing about.
  • by Sandy Location: Pantego on Feb 14, 2011 at 01:56 PM
    My biggest beef with UBE and ECU is they could have sent something out to warn these kids this was happening...so no..we won't use UBE again....
  • by Formerly O.L.I. Location: ENC on Feb 14, 2011 at 01:51 PM
    This is no laughing matter. ECU needs to fix this; not the people being ripped off. Another reason not to attend this so-called college. MOM, DAD, send your children to nicer-campused, safer, higher-accredited colleges, and Appalachian State is one...if your child qualifies. These 'colleges/universities' that have lower qualifications? There is a good reason why.
  • by Mad Location: East Carolina University on Feb 14, 2011 at 01:44 PM
    Definitely going to withdraw all of my money once I get reimbursed. You have got to be kidding me!
  • by REM Location: ENC on Feb 14, 2011 at 01:19 PM
    Most (if not all) major creditors offer "student" cards, so I use credit for all possible purchases. My particular creditor offers 0% fraud liability. I have ECU direct deposit all of my tuition reimbursements into my back accounts; so the higher-one car was placed in a safe the day that I received it. I never trusted them with my money, and this is living proof of why. If you actually use higher-one, you need to withdraw all of your funds, and change the way that you get your tuition money from ECU. Bank with someone else, because it's obvious that higher-one is a joke in terms of security and customer service.
  • by Darren Location: Kill Devil Hills on Feb 14, 2011 at 12:49 PM
    Some scumbag needs to be put in the slammer for life with all the stealing they are doing to these ECU students.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 116118684 - witn.com/a?a=116118684