Off-Duty Deputy Foils Neighbor's Break-In

An off-duty deputy sheriff is credited with stopping the break-in of his neighbor's home.

Wednesday night around 7:40 p.m. Detective Walt Stancil was walking his dog on Black Jack-Simpson road when he notice a van pull into a neighbor's driveway. While the neighbor didn't appear to be home, Stancil noticed two men get get out of the van and walk towards the home. One had an object in his hand, and both had on a mask and hood.

Stancil quickly returned to his home to get his phone. He says he then noticed the men try to force open the door of the home and a loud noise caused by one of the men caused neighborhood dogs to start barking. At that point the men headed back to the van.

The detective followed the van in his patrol car and it pulled into another driveway. As they tried to back out, the van ended up in a ditch. A state trooper helped Stancil arrest the men.

Inside the van they found a hidden weapon, crow bar, ski mask and gloves. Deputies say they later learned the crow bard was used in an earlier break-in on Preston Wood Drive in Greenville.

Charged with attempted breaking and entering, conspire to break and enter a building, injury to real property, possession of burglary tools, carry concealed weapon and felony breaking and entering are Melvin Murphy, Jr., Tony Haddock, and Brandon Green, all of Winterville. Murphy is also charged with possession of a firearm by a felon.

All three were jailed on bonds between $100,000 and $125,000.

• by John Doe Location: Greenville on Dec 5, 2011 at 08:18 AM
    I been knowing tony for awhile now. And he's a good kid, influenced by bad people, cause he's not even that kinda guy. Some punishment should be given I agree, right is right and wrong is wrong... But all the racial comments and slurs really not called for, white people do just as much crimes as black. Only they kill their kids and themselves more often... Keep ya head up Tony
  • by HIS EXX ! on Dec 4, 2011 at 08:47 PM
    I've Been Knowing Tonyy For A Longg Time , & He Is DEF Not The Type To Do Something Like This , He Not A Gang Memeber, He Just A laid back person . I Feel Like He Was Just W/ The Wrong Peoplee At The Wrong Time ! #PeerPressure . FREE TONY RAENELL HADDOCK <3
  • by Former classmate Location: Savannah area, Georgia on Dec 4, 2011 at 02:08 PM
    It breaks my heart to see these young men involved in such violent crimes. These young men are NOT crack heads, their families did not fail them, and I'm appalled that they would even do something like this. I remember having class with Haddock at South Central, I know his family, this is not how he was raised. What is going on in the Greenville community?!?! Why do our young people feel so entitled that, stealing is the only option they can arrive to? Where are our mentors and community leaders? Have we given up on our youth? Face it, THIS is our future. The more we laugh and make light of it, the less we are actually doing about it. Yes, hold these young men accountable, but then find out what the real issue is. Believe it or not, the next generation will be worse unless we do something about it!
      by NC Resident on Jan 7, 2012 at 11:32 PM in reply to Former classmate
      If these 3 individuals represent our future...we're in big trouble. Some more of your hope and change. Give me a break .
  • by c-had Location: police state nc on Dec 3, 2011 at 11:54 PM
    Crack,need I say more?
  • by Funny Location: Nc on Dec 3, 2011 at 06:08 AM
    If we stopped making jail so much fun we would have repeats! I think we should have a sharp shooter on the jail give them a certain inmates number & let all the inmates in the yard & let the sharp shooter have fun! Let this be a daily thing! None of the inmates would know when there time is up & if they did make it there full time I can bet u they wouldn't be back! We need to stop having to pay to feed house & keep these low lifes healthy
  • by HaHaHa!! Location: Washington on Dec 2, 2011 at 08:35 PM
    Looking at this picture, I sure thought I was going to read an article about the zoo!!
      by Anonymous on Dec 3, 2011 at 12:06 AM in reply to HaHaHa!!
      LOL They do resemble the three creatures that see no evil, hear no evil, and speak no evil. The only diffrence is they are all evil.
      by Yeah! on Dec 3, 2011 at 05:53 AM in reply to HaHaHa!!
      Looks like dumb, dumber, and their newest member...dumbest!!
  • by Harry Location: Aurora on Dec 2, 2011 at 06:53 PM
    I guess they did not want one of Obama's job stimulas plan jobs! LOL
  • by 40some on Dec 2, 2011 at 05:38 PM
    Pictures say it all, "We ain't did nuthin"
      by Teacher on Dec 2, 2011 at 07:07 PM in reply to 40some
      Rebuttal to - 40some on Dec 2, 2011 at 08:38 PM Pictures say it all, Your quote "We ain't did nuthin" - Learn proper English
        by Anonymous on Dec 3, 2011 at 12:05 AM in reply to Teacher
        For Pete's sake, he's just speaking the truth. I'm sure you hear it in your school.
        by Truth on Dec 3, 2011 at 05:51 AM in reply to Teacher
        Ehh... "Teacher"...I'm guessing you're not any sort of English or Literary instructor. If you were, you would notice the quotation marks around "We ain't did nuthin" and realize that '40some' was creating a fictitious dialog using a presumed or implied vernacular. You would also know that, when creating dialog, many grammatical rules go out the window. One writes a dialog based on how one would like the character to sound and to speak. Had '40some' been quoting YOU, I'm quite sure he would have chosen a much more fitting phrase such as, "I'm quite sorry, sirs. My friends and I have committed no transgressions." See! THAT's how dialogue works. You're quite welcome for the freebie-lesson. Have a wonderful day!
          by day-um on Dec 3, 2011 at 08:12 PM in reply to Truth
          LOL awesome !!
  • by Gerry Location: Emerald City on Dec 2, 2011 at 04:56 PM
    Good Job! With the size of these dirtbags bail amounts, they may be guests of the county for a bit. They'll likely miss the Christmas block party.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 2, 2011 at 04:07 PM
    I wonder if this will appease the cop-haters who regularly post on this site. Somehow, I doubt it.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 134903018 - witn.com/a?a=134903018