OFFICIAL: Cigarette Started Fire, Mobile Home Destroyed

A mobile home went up in flames Thursday afternoon.

A fire official tells WITN the home on Pungo Creek Road in the Beaufort County community of Pinetown had been abandoned. They report the owner had hired workers to tear it apart, and the workers were inside when the fire broke out.

Officials say they believe one of the workers threw down a cigarette, and that's what started the blaze. The workers got out of the home safely.

The home is destroyed. There were a couple of homes nearby, but those homes were not impacted.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Betty Cutler Location: Aurora NC on Jun 10, 2011 at 08:43 AM
    I am curious as to why someone would toss a cigarette down inside where they are working and then have to make a run for their lives? I see people toss them all the time outside, but this article makes it sound as though the worker dropped his inside. Did he think it would burn itself out....more investigation needed. somethings missing. Oh, and Laura, you left out strikes from lightening
  • by laura Location: greenville on Jun 9, 2011 at 03:52 PM
    There are only three ways a mobile home catches on fire- a cigarette, a portable heater, or someone deep frying a turkey on the porch.
  • by Obama Snake Oil Co Location: Washington on Jun 9, 2011 at 03:34 PM
    According to what smokers tell me...it is difficult to keep their smokes lit with the new mix....hmmm. Is this a story of smokes or political correctness coming to NC like in so many states? Based on the amount of smokes I see tossed from cars....Washington should have burned a long time ago a thousand times over. Geez!
  • by John Location: Richlands on Jun 9, 2011 at 01:10 PM
    So now how does that work if the place is abandoned and others were hired to tear it down then cause a fire, dose the insurance then pay for the lose? Do they also arrest the one who supposedly tossed the smoke? Charge them with destruction of private property?
  • by jerry Location: enc on Jun 9, 2011 at 11:52 AM
    I find this difficult to beleve.
    • reply
      by to jerry on Jun 9, 2011 at 01:47 PM in reply to jerry
      with how dry it has been lately and the heat it could happen...it has happened before when the weather was fine and someone fell asleep with a cigarette in their hand
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 123562719 - witn.com/a?a=123562719
Gray Television, Inc.