New iPhone App Shows Sex Offenders Living Nearby

North Carolina now offers a phone application that allows people to find out if sex offenders live near them and their children.

The Department of Justice on Monday released a free mobile application that utilizes the GPS mapping feature built into the Apple iPhone and iPad to show the names, photos and homes of registered sex offenders living nearby.

Users can search for offenders within a 1, 3 or 5-mile radius of their present location and receive alerts whenever a registered offender moves in nearby.

To download the app, click on the related link below the story.

The state's sex offender registry is already available on-line, but Attorney General Roy Cooper said the new app will provide critical safety information to families on the go. There was no word on whether a similar app will be released for Android users.

(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

• by Rhonda Location: Williamston on Feb 7, 2012 at 06:35 AM
    To Puff: If you look at all the data (not the hype), only a small portion of registered sex offenders are child molesters. It is ignorance that makes this law a joke. I was molested by two men as a child; neither was a registered sex offender. I know two registered offenders, and neither is a child molester. I base my information on facts, not fear. I suggest you do the same. After all, it might be one of your family members who finds theirself on the registry for something. Do you have any idea how many are men married to their victim (she was 15, he was 19)? Do you know how many are set up by angry women? I know there are REAL pedophiles out there and that is what is the danger but the registry doesn't help separate them. PLEASE educate yourself and don't depend on some worthless list to protect the children in your life since at least 90% of children are sexually abused by family members or friends, not registered sex offenders.
      by puff on Feb 7, 2012 at 08:20 AM in reply to Rhonda
      Rhonda, It is such a touchy subject. I do agree with you that not all the people listed are child molesters. It is not fear on my part. I just want to be aware if they are living in my neighborhood. When you look at the registry it gives little information regarding their charges. I just wonder about all the hundreds that are out there that just never got caught. I almost lost my son a few years back do to a drunk driver running him off the road. He was in the hospital almost a year and is still suffering from the long term effects of the accident. I totally agree with you about the habitual drunk drivers. How ever, the majority are one time offenders. I do believe the habitual drunk drivers should be listed on a website.I had a grandaughter molested when she was 5 years old by a cousin who was 14. All he got was probation and because of his age, no listing as a sex offender. It is a sad world and some real sick minded people out there. I didn't mean to offend you with my reply.
        by Rhonda on Feb 8, 2012 at 09:42 AM in reply to puff
        It is a touchy subject and I am very sorry for your family troubles. I guess both hit really close to home, and that is something I can certainly relate to. I just want people to be open-minded about the registry by not judging all as if they are child molesters. I also want people to be aware of the danger that is often right under their nose. God bless.
  • by Error Location: Theory on Feb 6, 2012 at 07:04 PM
    Knowing where someone lives doesn't protect children.
  • by joe on Feb 6, 2012 at 12:37 PM
    We have a feel good law, now we have a feel good app.
      by Me on Feb 7, 2012 at 06:44 AM in reply to joe
      Yep!
  • by Emily Location: Jacksonville on Feb 6, 2012 at 11:37 AM
    Only 5 percent of the child sexual assault cases involve strangers." Read more: http://voices.yahoo.com/sex-offender-website-sentences-family-too-63683.html
  • by Emily Location: Jacksonville on Feb 6, 2012 at 11:33 AM
    Only 5 percent of the child sexual assault cases involve strangers. There are more than 295,734,1300 people in the United States and more 600,000 registered sex offenders on the various web sites. You do the math. How many assaults went unreported? "Ninety percent of all new registered sex offenders are first time offenders. Ninety five percent are known and close to the victim. Why are we passing laws based on five percent of this population and ignoring ninety five percent of these cases?" Read more: http://voices.yahoo.com/sex-offender-website-sentences-family-too-63683.html
  • by Gail Location: New Bern on Feb 6, 2012 at 11:29 AM
    The witch hunt continues.
  • by Rhonda Location: Williamston on Feb 6, 2012 at 11:16 AM
    This is so ridiculous. Most of the registered offenders are NOT child molesters. Most children are molested by family members or family friends. I'd be more interested in the repeat offender drunk drivers in my area. They are much more dangerous. Like someone said, "Another waste of taxpayer dollars." It's just political hype, not public safety. Mr. Cooper, some of us aren't as stupid as you think we are so please give it a rest.
      by Puff on Feb 7, 2012 at 01:08 AM in reply to Rhonda
      To Rhonda, I beg to differ with you. Most of the sex offenders are child molesters. I guess it is alright with you as long as they are family members or family friends. I want to know where they are living at all times because I have precious Grandchildren that do not need to be near this trash. A person is perverted and a real sicko that would molest a child or anyone for that matter. Keep complaining about your DWI offenders while your children are being molested. PS, I don't even know you but I do believe that some people are as stupid as they sound, just quit trying to prove it. GO Rhonda !!!!!!
  • by No justice Location: ENC on Feb 6, 2012 at 09:39 AM
    Another waste of the states money. Registration don't work. There is to many people up there that don't need to be. The bad ones you don't know which is which. Plus theres a law not to kill. People still kill. Where is the prevention to get the info out there so maybe the list won't be geting longer and we can save a life from the registry.
  • by MC Jamal Location: mean streets on Feb 6, 2012 at 09:33 AM
    Got an app for that?
  • by Anonymous on Feb 6, 2012 at 09:26 AM
    Make a app for the ones with a DWI

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 138768974 - witn.com/a?a=138768974