No Discussion On Possible Police Merger In Washington

A large crowd showed up for the Washington city council meeting Monday night after hearing rumors the police force might merge with the sheriffs department to save the city money.

City councilman Doug Mercer brought the idea to the Beaufort County Sheriffs Office a few weeks ago for discussion, but it was not on the agenda for council Monday night, even as as many people showed up anticipating discussion on the topic.

Washington mayor Archie Jennings says, "There's certainly protocol to say at the appropriate time. I don't think that he was outside of that. I think if the idea had any merit at all it would come to the council for a full discussion."

The Washington police department has more than forty employees, and many of them showed up to make sure they keep their jobs. Even chief Mick Reed was at the meeting. It is my hope and it is my job to try to keep us focused and our members working hard and I am sure that they will be."

Whether the idea is brought formally to the city council or not, chief Reed says it's a decision out of his hands. "My role is to simply provide the best security we can for our community and these decisions that are made at the elected level department heads I will just try to focus on what I get paid to do."

The mayor told WITN that if this makes it to a formal discussion for city council- the idea would take several months to approve or reject.

• by To Washington on Feb 21, 2011 at 09:57 AM
    You are on the wrong story.. Couple stories down. This one has never had 125 comments.
  • by Washington on Feb 21, 2011 at 08:35 AM
    WITN - What happened to the 125 comments on this story last Friday? Why reduced to 33?
  • by 2 c had on Feb 19, 2011 at 06:36 PM
    I am so glad u r moving too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • by c-had Location: police state nc on Feb 19, 2011 at 03:08 PM
    A. Jordan already thinks he is God.PLEASE DONT DO THIS TO US.I will move from Washington if this happens.
  • by 2 Edna 2/18 @ 3:45p on Feb 19, 2011 at 09:10 AM
    If you see him all the time,you must be married to him. I live here in town and have seen him myself a few times but not many. But who cares right as long as he is doing his job as he was hired to do.
  • by to 2:35pm 2/18 on Feb 18, 2011 at 06:54 PM
    I think that post must of got to you. You know that weirdos post things they know nothing about and somethings they do. Like SA did to you. It is like gas it will pass. Sounds like you did your homework. Question is why reply?
  • by Edna Location: Washington on Feb 18, 2011 at 12:45 PM
    SA: Obviously you don't know what the Chief looks like. I see him all the time.
  • by To SA @ 12:40p on Feb 18, 2011 at 11:35 AM
    What rock are you living under??? The Chief just received an award for excellence in police work for a program HE started and HE implemented in Washington! He has also worked TIRELESSLY to get a new police department built... one that follows the FEDERAL laws that the current department DOES NOT. He has worked with small businesses and community leaders to make Washington a safe place to live AND work. he has worked hard to open communication with the African American community, and unlike the former chief, he has their support. He has worked hard to eliminate corruption and hire and train competent and trust worthy officers. In his 4 years in Washington, overall crime has decreased and confidence in the police has increased. And despite the City Counsel's repeated attempts to threaten the safety of Washington, the Chief refuses to back down and risk the lives of the people in this town. That, you arrogant and ignorant person, is what the Chief has done.
  • by SA @ 12:40p Location: Harrington St. on Feb 17, 2011 at 10:27 AM
    The Po-Po couldn't find the way out of a wet paper bag if you could find one big enough to put some of them in. Some are Fat and it isn't pretty. As far as the Chief running the the show, get real. we have never seen any activity out of him since he came here. Does he just warm a chair, and draw a check? Just exactly what what is it that we pay him to do?
  • by SA Location: Washington on Feb 17, 2011 at 09:40 AM
    Truth: I agree the WPD needs to tighten their belt when it comes to physical standards. However, the BCSO is not by any means in great physical shape. I say merge, get Jordan out and let the Chief of Police run the show. The county needs LEO's that work to gether as a whole. Meaning Aurora, Chocowinity, Belhaven, WPD and BCSO. The Sheriff has hindered that progression I am afraid.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 116202324 - witn.com/a?a=116202324