New Wilson County Sheriff

A new sheriff was sworn in Monday in Wilson County.

While many of the familiar faces are returning, 130 from the previous administration, 19 employees were fired.

Calvin Woodard took the oath of office at the Wilson County courthouse in front of a crowd of 300, saying he expects the new employees to make a difference.

Woodard defeated longtime sheriff Wayne Gay who was first elected back in 1982.

• by John E Di Gilio Location: Elm City on Dec 17, 2010 at 05:52 PM
    Good luck to you Mr. Woodard. I spoke to you on the phone back in September and told you that I would have over 6 people that would vote for you. I also mentioned the problem with Boykin about his not giving me a gun permit. Glad you got elected.
  • by John Location: Elm City, NC on Dec 17, 2010 at 05:26 PM
    I hope that Boykin got his butt fired. He denied me a handgun permit and I don't have any criminal convictions, so "he" denied me my rights. Soon, in 2011, he'll be hearing from my lawyer. I intend to press charges against him. I hope that some of his running dogs got fired as well.
  • by tiki on Dec 7, 2010 at 04:58 PM
    @ Bert Hopkins, Wilson County is thankful you dont live there either. On the other hand all the people who accepted sheriff positions knew that they can be fired at any time for any reason by the sheriff. Its sad but when you take a job under those conditions sometimes you get the short end of the stick. I wish all the people that lost their position good luck and stay strong and something else will come available.
  • by Sam Location: Kitty Hawk on Dec 7, 2010 at 12:52 PM
    I sure hate it for the 19 employees and their families. I agree with Tom where these guys need to have civil service protection.
  • by BERT HOPKINS Location: pinetops on Dec 7, 2010 at 12:37 PM
    I'm just thankful that I don't live in wilson county
  • by Scott on Dec 7, 2010 at 09:29 AM
    You can get unemployment benefits even if you are fired under certain circumstances. I'm sure these 19 will be eligible for unemployment before its all over with.
  • by hkd Location: nc on Dec 7, 2010 at 08:02 AM
    well did yall ever think that the 19 that lost their jobs where jobs that the outgoing sheriff "made up" and when the new one came to town he realized that these jobs were not needed yes it sucks that they lost their jobs right before the hoildays but the blame should be on the old sheriff for even putting them in positions that did not exist and knowing he was doing wrong
  • by @Mona Lisa Location: NC on Dec 7, 2010 at 07:47 AM
    What about the ones that don't have 30 years?
  • by Tom Location: Goldsboro on Dec 7, 2010 at 07:41 AM
    This is why I support efforts to give deputy sheriffs’ civil service protection. Right now, right at Christmas time, 19 deputy sheriffs are unemployed due to an antiquated law. 19 deputy sheriffs that served their community, putting their lives on the line, day in and day out! What a WONDERFUL Christmas gift these deputy sheriffs' families have received! And no, I'm not just picking on this sheriff. It happens across this state. If we truly value the sacrifices that these deputy sheriffs make, then PLEASE write your local NC representative and senator and tell them to reform this law. Tell them to PROTECT those that PROTECT us! Let's take the POLITICS out of these poor deputy sheriffs' lives! Let's let them do their jobs and not have to worry about a politician's promises or ire.
  • by anon Location: wallace on Dec 7, 2010 at 05:12 AM
    TO WOW, you do not receive unemployment benefits when you are fired/let go by an elected official.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 111420114 - witn.com/a?a=111420114