NEW INFO: Couple Injured By Rodeo Bull Speaks To WITN

We've seen the amazing video of that bull jumping in the crowd at the rodeo over the weekend at the Senator Bob Martin Eastern Agriculture Center in Williamston. We spoke to a couple about just how terrifying it was to be in the line of fire and injured in the incident.

A broken foot and a bruised leg are what 67-year-old Butch and 68- year-old Virginia Trimnal suffered after a bull jumped a five foot fence into the front row where they were sitting on Saturday at the rodeo in Williamston Saturday. It was not the first rodeo for either of them, but it was their first at the Ag Center in Williamston. Butch tells WITN the reason they were on the front row is because his wife has health issues preventing her from climbing up the bleachers. Little did they know in the matter of seconds a bull had come over a five-foot fence toward them.

" When I saw the top of his head come across the top rail I knew then he was coming over. The only thing I could think about was getting my wife out of the way so I pushed her off to the side and she landed on the floor," said Butch Trimnal.

The couple says the Ag Center has offered them unlimited tickets to any events in the future along with assisting them with their medical bills.
PREVIOUS STORY:
Williamston, NC -- A day at the Old Ford Fire Department Rodeo in Williamston turned into a scary scene Saturday after officials say a bull jumped into the audience during a show and injured a couple.

According to an eyewitness, rodeo officials were trying to round up the bull after a rider fell off when then bull charged right into the audience. This picture taken by a viewer shows the bull just before it charged the couple in front of it.

Officials say two people were injured. They say the man tried to knock his wife out of the way, but both were injured.

The eyewitness says the bull then jumped right back into the ring and rodeo officials were able to control it.

The rodeo was held at the Senator Bob Martin Eastern Agricultural Center. Department of Agriculture Spokesman Brian Long says the bull jumped some 5 feet into the stands. Long says the couple received leg and foot injuries, but were able to drive themselves home from the hospital.

Ann Conner was with her family at the rodeo and sitting right next to the couple video taping when the bull jumped into the audience.

Conner says, "He's getting closer and closer and then you hear the girls scream and that's when he came sailing just right over the railing. I've never seen an animal jump that high."

EMT's then rushed over to treat the couple. They are expected to be okay.

Martin County Deputy Claud Ambrose says, "I've worked these rodeos probably 7 or 8 years and that's the first time I've ever seen anything like this happen."

Long says the Department of Agriculture, which owns the facility, is investigating the accident.

As for the bull, he wasn't injured in the high jump, and was used in the show later that evening.

• by bambie on Mar 2, 2011 at 05:52 AM
    hi how u doin im doin great
  • by Dang, T??? Location: E NC on Feb 27, 2011 at 07:40 PM
    T, I like a good steak every now and then, but I don't believe I'd let any livestock feel me up. You should keep that to yourself!
  • by To Allison from T on Feb 27, 2011 at 03:52 AM
    Allison.. You are right. Animals are living,breathing,feeling creatures.. I might add they also make excellent meals and feel me up. MMMMM good.
  • by Allison Location: San Diego on Feb 26, 2011 at 04:56 PM
    Stupid people…you deserve to get hurt! The way animals are treated in rodeos is absolutely disgusting. Animals are living, breathing, feeling creatures. I am just happy the bull wasn’t hurt.
  • by Kellie on Feb 23, 2011 at 05:44 PM
    As a contestant of rodeo I KNOW what happens when things go wrong. Although I wasn't at this particular rodeo participating I am SO GLAD that the couple are okay. I've participated in rodeo my whole life (I am 21 years old) it is a FAMILY sport, and that's the only thing my family has known for YEARS! My dad is a "pick-up" man (the guy on the horse) and also a Judge.. And my family has owned bucking livestock themselves. I can PROMISE you that these animals are treated better than most humans. They are athletes and a lot of people just don't see that. As far as the accident goes, I have seen many in my years but I can say on behalf of my rodeo family, that stock contractors and company owners do their best to make sure it is safe for everyone to attend. This rarely EVER happens at a rodeo but its like a person said; you take a chance and its the same concept as riding in a car. I'm not arguing, just clarifying. Bur I really am thankful that the couple is OKAY.
  • by Formerly O.L.I. Location: ENC on Feb 23, 2011 at 12:32 PM
    "couple speaks to WITN"; ...and there I wuz,when all of a sudden this big bull jumps over the wall...
  • by Wuz There again Location: Williamston, NC on Feb 23, 2011 at 09:47 AM
    I am amazed by all of this! Not the first person has mentioned that the Ag Center opened in June of 1998 and this is the FIRST incident of a crowd participant getting injured! There aren't ANY industries that can boast those kind of numbers, I don't think so. Also, did anyone notice there was a change in rodeo circuits used? I did! Same one MCC uses (not that this is bad, just an observation), might want to rethink that change and go back with the old crew for public relations for next year. (really trying to help)
  • by Renate Location: Bull Head on Feb 23, 2011 at 09:06 AM
    I'm a proud mom of 2 kids that rodeo and I have been to countless rodeos during the years, and I have never seen this happen before. I hope that this does not keep people from attending rodeos and enjoying the talented cowboys, cowgirls, and animals. You take a chance anytime you do anything....this was just a freak accident and I don't plan on doing anything different when I attend rodeos...if its meant to happen it will, but I doubt anyone will see this again....Rodeos for spectators are generally really safe and all precautions that can be taken are taken for the them, the contestants, workers, and animals. Its a great sport and I hope everyone can remember this and still come out and enjoy all the family fun....
  • by Allen Location: New Bern on Feb 22, 2011 at 02:08 PM
    BREAKING NEWS: CH 12 finally interviewed the family you guys had on Sunday. Better late than never....
  • by Martin Co. Native Location: greenville on Feb 22, 2011 at 01:52 PM
    Martin Co. rocks. The ole timers really show the yungins' how a gentleman acts, and takes a lickin' with humor.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 116543158 - witn.com/a?a=116543158