New ECU Student Housing More Than Just A Place To Live

A new student housing complex in Greenville is about more than just a new place for students to call home.

The Province on Charles Boulevard between 10th and 14th streets held a ribbon cutting Thursday.

Property managers and police say it's helping revitalize the area and they hope it will help make it safer.

The Province will house 728 students and was built where the King's Arms and Green Mill Run apartment complexes used to be.

The apartments are fully furnished and feature things like 40-inch flat screen TV's, energy-efficient appliances and a pool, game room and gym.

While students will likely be excited to be living so close to campus, Greenville Police say they're excited about what the new complex will mean for crime and safety in the area. Officers say the King's Arms and Green Mill Run apartment complexes were run down, and they had to respond to a lot of calls there.

Greenville Police Lt. Cheryl Curtis says a Greenville Police officer and an ECU officer will also live on-site, adding to the safety of the complex.

Property managers say there's still a few apartments available for rent. Move-in is set for August 19.

• by uh Location: Greenville on Aug 12, 2011 at 10:14 PM
    I'm not against the complex, but have 2 concerns: 1) crime doesn't subside when you demolish a complex. The criminals simply move. (Tar River neighborhood) 2) So close to the road, the side of that place will be splashed in heavy winter and hurricane rain events. It's like 6 feet off the road. 3) it's in the hood.
  • by TO "MOM" on Aug 12, 2011 at 01:26 PM
    Are you joking me?? Your near negligence makes me sick to my stomach. Do you realize that ECU is no longer a real party school? When was the last time you visited? huh? That's what I thought. I recently graduated and trust me I didn't have time to party all the time. Sure I went out on the weekends but during the week I was working and studying like the Majority of the college students do at ECU. Yes people get into Duke and Chapel Hill but still go to ECU because of A- the cost and B- because of the reputable education programs they have to offer. As an Example: Nursing School, Business, Dentist School, Top construction program in the nation might I add and much more. So maybe you came here to party and get knocked up and become a mom but I'm pretty sure most students come to school to be just that a STUDENT. - A TRUE PIRATE
  • by Anonymous on Aug 12, 2011 at 01:02 PM
    Thanks mom....you obviously live in a bubble and have never been on another college campus. It is the same everywhere!!!
  • by mom Location: nc on Aug 12, 2011 at 12:01 PM
    It may be called More Than A Place To Live...but it's really Just Another Place To Party. It doesn't matter how safe they say it is.It will be a place to go party all night for the students.That's what ECU is known for.I went there for 4 years and that's ALL the students cared about.You may find a few that actually went for the education, but 95 % of the students at ECU AND PCC attend there because of the party reputation. I know 3 people that got accepted at Duke, N C State and also UNC. They chose ECU over these colleges mainly because of the reputation they have for sex,parties and other "non related college activities". It's really sad. I'm glad I got out when I did.
      by Bud on Aug 12, 2011 at 01:29 PM in reply to mom
      Awwww somebody wasn't invited out were they? How sad, still bitter at her suite-mates for leaving her in the doorm all those cold lonely nights!
      by Elizabeth on Aug 12, 2011 at 03:42 PM in reply to mom
      I agree with everyone else, you seem bitter. I know people who have gone to UNC, DUKE, State and Campbell and they all party just like ECU students do. There is a high % of kids that do just party but its NO WHERE near 95%. Thats college, kids drink, have sex and do other "non related things". I know kids who party on the weekends but still make As and Bs. So it doesn't really matter. Having a safer place to stay is the main point! As someone who was born and raised here in Greenville, I'm glad to see a nicer development put int the place. Like other said it was a major eye sore!
  • by Eric Location: Hilton Head on Aug 12, 2011 at 10:11 AM
    Has there been any emperical data research on how many IQ points you can lose by reading the comments section of a WITN article ??
      by Boats on Aug 12, 2011 at 11:45 AM in reply to Eric
      :) :) :) :) I'm not a texter. Is this how you do a smiley face?
  • by really complaining? on Aug 12, 2011 at 10:09 AM
    Please tell me the negatives of a private business coming and and getting rid of an eye sore and starting a business that provides nice housing? Would you feel better if they came in and buit subpar buildings that will become eye sores? You people will complain about anything. You act as if ECU is the only places getting these college housing developments......IT HAPPENS IN EVERY COLLEGE TOWN NOW. Sorry we are not stuck in the old times. As for tax payer money...you should be glad these places are around. If not, then ECU would have to build dorms to house all of these students. That would cost millions. People only complain becasue this involves ECU students.
  • by Boats Location: Beaufort on Aug 12, 2011 at 09:47 AM
    Y'all remember dormatories don't you? You know, those places where students used to live. They had everything a student would need, if he was serious about education. They offered all the essential amenities like a bed to sleep on, a closet to hang your 2 changes of clothes, and a desk to sutdy at. Remember??
  • by ss on Aug 12, 2011 at 08:39 AM
    hehehe...waht are you talking about? How do tax payers pay for this? This is a private facility...not a school facility. Would you hav rather had King Arms apartments there with the bullet holes in the sign. Every college houseing place these days have these amenities. Quit being so angry becasue you didn't realize your dreams.
  • by hehehe Location: morehead city on Aug 12, 2011 at 08:13 AM
    Hmmm, sounds like just another expensive place taxpayers will have to pay for (to the tune of government loans), all so students can have a place to "get wasted," lose their virginity, "hang" out, get busted for pot, and do absolutely nothing related to their studies. Also, why is the place so close to the road? New ECU students - they will buy anything (which is good for our local economy).
      by Bud on Aug 12, 2011 at 09:19 AM in reply to hehehe
      Dude, you live at the beach, what are you so bitter about? You have zero room to talk about negative news around Greenville, just look at all the articles about how Carteret County is doing lately. It hurts my soul because I love MHC and Atlantic Beach. With that attitude I have my doubts you're originally from there; would you care to enlighten us where you're from?
  • by Boats Location: Beaufort on Aug 12, 2011 at 06:50 AM
    What ever happened to DORMATORIES?

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 127567448 - witn.com/a?a=127567448