New Cuts For Hospital Employees

New pay cuts are being implemented for employees at one financially strapped hospital in the east, but this cut may hurt more than the first.

The Beaufort County Medical Center's Board of Trustees met Thursday afternoon, and voted to rescind the 5% pay deferral they voted on last month. Chairwoman Alice Mills-Sadler says it's because the Department of Labor informed them that the Board had to give employees a 30 day notice before imposing a payment deferral.

Sadler says they do not have 30 days, so instead, Trustees voted to just cut 5% from those who make $10.00 or more an hour. That means, they will not get this money back, as first approved by the Board with the deferral.

Also during Thursday's meeting the Board approved to offer A Letter of Intent to contract with Southern Surgical. A company that performs bariatric surgeries.

The Board says this is not a contract, but if they enter into one by December 15th, within six months, the hospital could gain an estimated one million dollars in revenue.

• by To Shelia on Dec 31, 2010 at 10:40 PM
    The paper charts are a risk to patient care and to the physicians. I do care about the risk of missing an important result because it is shuffled into the 2008 area of the chart. I have never been accused of not caring. I submitted plenty of charges, and I have the printouts to prove it. What has actually been collected is unknown to me. BCMC has had a critical shortage of doctors for quite some time. The current situation is not likely to attract new ones. As for the "idiots" you have seen, perhaps you need to see a physician who is more specialized in your area of need - say an internist for an elderly patient. We are not all idiots - but like any other profession, there are individuals who are good at their job and others who are not.
  • by RN-BCMC on Dec 30, 2010 at 02:48 AM
    To Nurse Educator also on Nov21 @ 6:43...I know who you are and it was found that the med error was YOUR fault!! So watch what you're saying sweetie and get your facts straight. Sounds like your accusations comes from your guilt!! We have enough students anyway
  • by sheila on Dec 29, 2010 at 06:24 PM
    to the doctor that is so worried about paper and charts i hope he is half as concern about his patients because the doctor that treated my Mother sure WAS NOT I would think that patient care would come before a chart maybe that is why you are not bring any money in and cant afford to buy paper. If anyone wants proper care go to PDH and see Dr Boyette
  • by sheila on Dec 29, 2010 at 06:14 PM
    Maybe BCH needs new doctors because the ones I have had to deal with are idiots and why would you give money to a company and keep the same people in charge. if they could do the job before what makes you think the can now signed beaufort county tax payer
  • by to anon on Dec 27, 2010 at 05:52 PM
    How thankful you are. Shame on you. Say thank you and enjoy. Count your blessings. THere are many families that would be happy to get a turkey for christmas dinner.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 27, 2010 at 02:06 PM
    I wish we could give the employees the pay lost. A turkey seems like a weak gesture of what they mean to the providers.
  • by To times have changed Location: bch employee on Dec 22, 2010 at 06:51 PM
    First of all Mr. Times Have Changed, if you're not an employee of BCH you should keep your opinions to yourself. There's no way you know what the employees are feeling and what we are going through. When the physicians offered to buy all the employees turkeys for Christmas, it showed just how caring the physicians of BCH truly are. If you expect the employees to work for 5% less but give 100% more then get over the fact that we received a turkey on company time. If Hood thinks he can start an IV better than I can, I say bring it on. Otherwise, hurry up and make a decision before Beaufort County loses some of the best physicians in the area.
  • by To: Times have changed on Dec 22, 2010 at 02:56 PM
    You tell them Hood (or Stan)
  • by bcmc employee Location: Beaufort County on Dec 22, 2010 at 07:39 AM
    I apologize to anyone offended by my comment of Dec 17, I did not think it through and was it was an thoughtless thing to say, so sorry! Hope somehow everyone can still have a very Merry Christmas!! Maybe the New Year will be brighter!!
  • by BCMC physician Location: Out the door on Dec 22, 2010 at 04:03 AM
    Everyone needs to realize that there are not only pay cuts involved with the hospital's situation. There are mounting financial deficiencies that limit care, and in some circumstances, increase patient and physician risk. Unlike the County Commisioners, physicians ARE held to an ethics code. The "bcmc employee" from Dec 17th may not realize that it is becomming very difficult to deliver proper health care services. When basic stationary items cannot be provided, how can you properly maintain paper charts? It's hard to be professional when your patient chart consists of a flimsy folder, with loose papers just stuffed in it, and the patient information stapled on the front and back sides? Not to mention the staples are placed out to in which means you get to have your fingers and hands scratched all day. Forget electronic medical records, I just asked for dividers and securing the papers. I was told we couldn't afford it. Pay is NOT my issue.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 109061344 - witn.com/a?a=109061344