New Buildings At Pitt Community College

This is big day for a community college that is getting ready to expand once again.

Pitt Community College will break ground today on three new buildings. One will be a building for classrooms, another to teach construction and industrial technology, and one will house PCC's maintenance operations.

"We know that we need more space at Pitt Community College," PCC President G. Dennis Massey told employees earlier this year. "These buildings aren't the end; we will build more in the future. We don't have the money, yet, but where there's a will, there's a way. The good thing is we have the space [for them on campus]."

The school says the $28 million project will be paid for by revenue from the quarter-cent sales tax that voters approved in 2007.

• by Anonymous on Dec 10, 2010 at 02:29 PM
    JBP, yes there is a large lot over there. However I for one am not going to park way over there to attend one fifty minute class in the Fulford building. I parked by the ball field one semester and got tired of walking through the mud.
  • by Joe Location: G-ville on Dec 10, 2010 at 01:41 PM
    ...and before you tell me to move back up North, I WAS BORN AND RAISED HERE...and I graduated from ECU in '05 & '08. Some of you need to quit playing your little fiddles and get involved in your community!
  • by joe Location: G-ville on Dec 10, 2010 at 12:15 PM
    Roy: Maybe you should ante up the funds to get your name on the building since you don't agree with the current name. It'll probably only cost you $2m or so. You can pull that out of your wallet any day of the week, right? Others: I love how most commentors whine and moan about local colleges expanding. (That was sarcasm for those that didn't understand that.) First: Move if you don't like it. Second: Did you go to either college/university? If not, you have no basis for even bashing these schools. Third: If it wasn't for the schools in this area, this town WOULD BE A GHOST TOWN!!
  • by Roy Location: Winterville on Dec 10, 2010 at 11:53 AM
    Pitt Community College is completely out of control. The citizens of Pitt County have to maintain the campus, and 35% of students are outside of Pitt County. How stupid. Also, naming a building for someone who does not live or pay taxes in Pitt County. Is wrong.
  • by US-First Location: Greenville on Dec 10, 2010 at 11:21 AM
    Perhaps what Sally means to say is that voters approved a quarter cent sales tax increase in 2007 but what did the voters know of current economic conditions at that time. What would voters now say about the use of this money? Do we need more buildings when hiring is frozen and jobs are on the line. What good is a new building without employees? I think it is tunnel vision with respect to spending this money. Conditions change and if you can't change with it you are doomed to fail. This is unsound spending plain and simple. Ever walk through a ghost town. Those old mid-west towns that had manufacturing booms and grew with no though of controlling growth and spending. A bunch of buildings with no on in them now roting in disrepair. I am sure we are not that far gone but if you don't take care of folks jobs pretty soon folks won't be around.
  • by PCS High School Teacher Location: Greenville on Dec 10, 2010 at 10:06 AM
    @ Justice I think you meant "jobless" and not "homeless" most of the time when people get laid off they get unemployment and then go and find another job (not a handout from the government). Working people that lose jobs usually scale back or sale their home and move to a smaller home/apartment. @ PCC- thanks for staying on the government and using the 1/4 cent sales tax for what it was intended, expansion! Wish we could say the same for the Education lottery which is obviously being spent everywhere but on education b/c there is a 3.2 billion dollar deficit in the state's education budget and there will be a proposed 5%-10% budget cut next year. Pitt county schools is proposing 314 positions cut total.....where has all of the billions spent on the lottery gone???????????????
  • by JBP Location: G'ville on Dec 10, 2010 at 09:39 AM
    The last time I checked, plenty of parking was available by the baseball field. Is it just that parking is not available by the building you want to enter and you do not want to walk 5 minutes??
  • by Anonymous Location: greenville on Dec 10, 2010 at 09:05 AM
    Will they be hiring locals?Because the ones building at PCMH sure dont.
  • by REM Location: ENC on Dec 10, 2010 at 08:54 AM
    I agree with the parking expansion. Parking was horrible there, and that was several years ago for me. -- @Justice: I also agree with what everyone responded with; especially Kathy. When was the last time you emptied YOUR bank account to give free handouts? How many people are staying in your own home right now? Homeless/poor is a life choice, and I could talk all day about why (I'm not including the temporary homeless/poor either).
  • by Anonymous on Dec 10, 2010 at 08:12 AM
    PARKING IS NEEDED!!!!!! I am excited they are getting more buildings,but they really need to invest in parking as well.I say that because Sam's club parking lot is private property, or at least when I was at PCC 2 years ago it was. Congratulations PCC! So happy that we are getting more jobs and training facilities!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 111656509 - witn.com/a?a=111656509