Neighbors Rescue Man From Burning Home

A Maury man says he is lucky to be alive after he woke up to his house on fire. Luckily his two neighbors helped to get him out safely.

It happened at Dewey Whitehurst’s home on 20 Moore Rouse Rd. in Greene County Saturday morning. According to Whitehurst he was asleep in his home around 8:30 a.m. when neighbors saw smoke, broke his door in, and got him out in time. No one was injured in the flames.

Six different fire departments then responded to the scene and worked to put out the blaze.

Fire officials say the flames went through the walls and up into the ceiling. They say the home is a total loss.

Whitehurst’s girlfriend Joan Price says it's been a tough year for Whitehurst, just recently his son was killed in a car accident, she says, “It is total devastation. I mean they have been through a whole lot the last nine months and it’s just been really rough on them and I hope this won't bring them down anymore."

Neighbors have started up a collection fund for Whitehurst. No word from officials on what started the fire.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by faye Location: plymouth nc on Mar 13, 2011 at 05:27 PM
    Thank God for neighbors that don't mind getting involve for a good reason

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 117900884 -
Gray Television, Inc.