NWS: White Christmas In Eastern Carolina Extremely Rare

In the past 50 years there has only been one white Christmas in Eastern Carolina according to the National Weather Service.

That was in 1989. That storm wasn't on Christmas. The snow fell from December 22 -24. According to the National Weather Service's definition of a white Christmas, one inch must be on the ground on Christmas Day and it was in 1989. Most places on the coastal plain got a foot or more of snow that year. Just a few years ago in 2004 we got 1-2 inches of snow the day after Christmas.

"So what actually occurred we don't have any record of snow fall for Christmas. So it's kind of pretty rare occasion for us to get snow on that day," said Lara Pagano NOAA Meteorologist.

• by Stephanie Location: CHocowinity on Dec 24, 2010 at 02:30 PM
    The biggest snow that I can remember around here was in 1980 when we had thunder snow... the lights went out and my and I had to cook in a cast iron pot in our fireplace. My dad was stranded in Mississippi because of bad weather down there. We had 5 ft snow drifts in my back yard... It was awesome, but I was only 11 then...lol
  • by People Being Nice on Dec 24, 2010 at 12:57 PM
    ZMan being nice is also rare.
  • by ZMan on Dec 24, 2010 at 10:27 AM
    People in ENC having a brain is extremely rare too.
  • by genindx on Dec 24, 2010 at 08:48 AM
    I wonder if Wally DeMaurice, NOAA Meterologist at the time, agrees with Lara.
  • by Concerned Location: Washington on Dec 24, 2010 at 04:44 AM
    I love snow and am excited about having it at Christmas because of my children. I do pray, however, that everyone is plenty warm. I worry about those who may not have shelter from the cold.
  • by Lilly Location: Richlands on Dec 24, 2010 at 03:29 AM
    THINK SNOW!
  • by 1971 winter storm on Dec 24, 2010 at 02:27 AM
    The worst storm in my memory was in 1971. (I think) It started with BIG flakes in the afternoon (temp was 44ºF) then the temp dropped! Freezing rain/sleet covered everything with a sheet of ice. By nightfall, it was snowing again and 8-10' accumulated overnight. Next morning, the storm ended with 1" of sleet on top of the snow! The sleet on top was so thick, I could nearly walk on top of the snow (*I was only 8 years old). I don't remember the exact date, but it was well after Christmas. It crippled the roads for 3-4 days and the temp stayed below freezing several days afterward. I wonder, does WITN have any records of this storm?
  • by BB on Dec 23, 2010 at 09:26 PM
    Hope we have a big snowstorm christmas night!!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 112414199 - witn.com/a?a=112414199