NEW INFO: Flower Girl's Funeral Held Wednesday

Ava Kendall of Greenville waslaid to rest Wednesday afternoon. The six year old was on her way to be a flower girl in a wedding Saturday when the accident happened on Highway 43 outside of Greenville.

A memorial service was held at 4 p.m. at Wilkerson Funeral Chapel in Greenville.

Meanwhile, the Highway Patrol says it has not yet pressed charges against the driver they say caused the wreck, Mupin Cummings. Trooper David Swanson says Cummings is still hospitalized, though he does not know her condition.

Swanson said he expects to charge Cummings with misdemeanor death by motor vehicle.

Previous Story:
The Highway Patrol confirms that the driver in a wreck that killed a six year old girl on her way to a wedding will face charges.

Troopers say Mupin Cummings of Pinetops will face the charge of misdemeanor death by motor vehicle for the death of Ava Kendall. The six year old was on her way to be a flower girl in a wedding Saturday when the accident happened on Highway 43 outside of Greenville.

Trooper David Swanson said Cummings' Jeep Cherokee crossed the center line and collided with a Honda Accord.

Swanson says a witness traveling behind Cummings says it appeared the woman dropped something and tried to retrieve it when she swerved in on-coming traffic.

The woman is still hospitalized and has not yet been served with those charges.

Two bridesmaids in the car were also injured and hospitalized. 22-year-old Michele Garland 13-year-old Lindsey Whitehurst are from Greenville, as was Ava.

Bride-to-be Rachel Jones cancelled the wedding following the fatal wreck.

Meanwhile, the Kendall family has announced the funeral arrangements for Ava. She will be laid to rest Wednesday. A memorial service is planned for 4 p.m. at Wilkerson Funeral Chapel in Greenville.

Previous story:

Family members tell WITN a flower girl was killed and two bridesmaids injured in a crash on their way to a wedding Saturday.

According to Trooper Swanson the accident happened around 4:50 p.m. on Highway 43 between Greenville and Falkland, just north of Rock Springs. He says a Jeep Cherokee was heading North on Highway 43 when the vehicle crossed the center line and hit a Honda Accord going south.

Inside the Honda were 22-year-old Michele Garland, 13-year-old Lindsey Whitehurst, and 6-year-old Ava Kendall. They are all from Greenville.

Family members tell WITN all three were on their way to a wedding when the crash occurred. Bride-to-be Rachel Jones says Kendall was the flower girl, and the other two women bridesmaids.

Trooper Swanson says Kendall was killed in the crash. Whitehurst and Garland were seriously injured and taken to Pitt County Memorial hospital where they were listed in fair condition as of Sunday morning.

The driver of the Jeep, 39-year-old Mupin Wu Cummings of Pinetops, was also injured and taken to the hospital. According to troopers a witness says Cummings was looking down at the time of the crash.

Swanson says he is still investigating the accident and charges are pending.

The wedding was canceled because of the tragedy. Bride-to-be Rachel Jones told WITN, "It was the worst moment of my entire life." She said Kendall was the daughter of a family friend and that "anywhere we went people would stop to talk to her because she was explosive with personality and she was beautiful."

Kendall's father also spoke to WITN. He said, "Every time I turn around the house I see her. I see pictures. I see her artwork. I see her clothes and she is with me."

• by really?? on Apr 19, 2011 at 09:59 AM
    so witn is not going to post my question about the baby not having on a seatbelt or being in a carseat???
  • by James Location: Tarboro on Apr 16, 2011 at 01:45 AM
    It's very hard but I know Mrs Cummings. And I know she would never hurt anyone she has a daughter . This was what it was a horribly accident. Mupin wasn't a very expirance driver .everything was right for this too happen . Please Pray for the Cummings family too God Bless
  • by Professor Location: Eastern NC on Apr 14, 2011 at 03:46 PM
    May you rest in the arms of THE LORD JESUS and hear the songs of the angels. My condolences to the family in your time of loss. May GOD comfort you and give you peace that Ava is with our LORD.
  • by Amanda Location: Battleboro on Apr 14, 2011 at 09:17 AM
    My heart aches for this family. What a tragic loss for parents who help bring joy into so many families lives. I cannot imagine the grief of losing a child when it was difficult enough to almost lose one. Thanks to the Kendall's for their wonderful care. I hope that each passing day brings you peace filled with many happy memories of your sweet little girl. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Rest in peace sweet little one.
  • by Linda Location: Greenville on Apr 14, 2011 at 07:43 AM
    My deepest sympathy to the family of this little girl, my heart breaks for the family. My prayers are with you at this difficult time. Very sad for all people involved.
  • by a mom on Apr 13, 2011 at 08:41 PM
    God bless you little one for now you have angel's wings. Look down from heaven and keep watch over your loved ones. I pray for comfort for the family and friends of this precious child lost.
  • by Kathy on Apr 13, 2011 at 06:31 PM
    I do not know the author of this poem but it is beautiful. Little Angels When God calls little children to dwell with Him above, We mortals sometime question the wisdom of His love. For no heartache compares with the death of one small child Who does so much to make our world, seem wonderful and mild Perhaps God tires of calling the aged to his fold, So He picks a rosebud, before it can grow old. God knows how much we need them, and so He takes but few To make the land of Heaven more beautiful to view. Believing this is difficult still somehow we must try, The saddest word mankind knows will always be "Goodbye." So when a little child departs, we who are left behind Must realize God loves children, Angels are hard to find.
  • by Kathy on Apr 13, 2011 at 06:25 PM
    I urge everyone with children to google the poem "God's Lent Child." It brought me comfort when I lost my son.
      by Bonnie on Apr 18, 2011 at 01:57 AM in reply to Kathy
      Thank you Kathy! I had never read this one! ~Thinking of my Angel~
  • by ICON Location: Greenville on Apr 13, 2011 at 04:11 PM
    Exactly, where was this accident?
      by Anonymous on Apr 13, 2011 at 06:29 PM in reply to ICON
      Hwy 43 north of Greenville near Rock Springs
      by Anonymous on Apr 13, 2011 at 07:21 PM in reply to ICON
      by rock springs
  • by Anonymous on Apr 13, 2011 at 11:42 AM
    God now has a beautiful angel, but she was WAY too young to go. May the families find some peace. God bless.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 119546324 - witn.com/a?a=119546324