NC Senate To Consider Concussion Safety Bill

A bill meant to reduce the number of concussions suffered by North Carolina high school athletes by requiring safety measures and education is heading to the Senate.

The state House on Tuesday approved the proposal, which will promote the development of an athletics concussion safety training program and concussion safety requirements for interscholastic athletics.

The bill is named for Matt Gfeller of Winston-Salem Reynolds and Jaquan Waller of Greenville Rose, who each died from head injuries during high school football games.

The bill also is endorsed by the NFL, NHL, USA Baseball, the N.C. High School Athletic Association, the N.C. Athletic Trainers Association and a number of other groups

• by nunya Location: gvegas on May 9, 2011 at 11:01 AM
    omg...R.I.P Quan yur are truly missed now and forever..ily...gne but never forgotten
  • by Dave on May 5, 2011 at 01:53 PM
    Just looking at that smug look on his face makes me want to puke.
      by Happy on May 6, 2011 at 04:49 AM in reply to Dave
      This child is dead and all you have to say is the smug look on his face. Dave my heart goes out to you! R.I.P Quan!!!
  • by Toot Location: Brown on May 5, 2011 at 09:17 AM
    R.I.P Biq buzo 350 U Da Bestt
  • by soccer mom Location: winterville on May 5, 2011 at 07:54 AM
    It's not just football players that are getting concussions and being ignored. I went to watch a girls soccer game CH was playing Rose, and one of the Rose girls went down after a hard hit by our CH girls. She hit her head really hard and our girls were really concerned and was trying to help. The girl tried to get up and she fell back to the ground. I was never so appauled by the reaction of the Rose coach. They were more upset about the game than the girl. The tall coach kind of jogged and the short one with his arms folded just walked out. When they got to the girl the short one threw his arms in the air like great. The big one helped the girl off and the short one just acted like he was mad at her. Then as if that didn't make it worse they put her back out to play. They didn't care about her. They just wanted to beat Conley. My understanding this is her 3rd concussion and they took no precautions. They didn't check her before she took the field again or anything. To me they bullied her back onto that field. So it isn't just football. I blame the inexperience of the coaching staff. They have no clue. There was no trainer on the field, nothing to protect that child. If this is what happens during one of their games I wonder how they treat them during practice.
      by Student on May 16, 2011 at 12:17 PM in reply to soccer mom
      yeah that's what happened.. at least here at rose we learn more than how to plant a corn field
  • by 0% Head Injuries on May 5, 2011 at 06:23 AM
    My idea will cut high school/college head injuries.....STOP PLAYING FOOTBALL!
  • by Anonymous on May 5, 2011 at 05:34 AM
    R.I.P Quan aka 350
  • by ace Location: j ville on May 5, 2011 at 04:59 AM
    Heres an idea, do away with football and concentrate on studies. The next thing you know they will have to wear helments and padded clothing during baseball, elbow, knee, tigh pads playing volley ball and anything with a stick will be eliminated. The government cannot protect us from ourselves.
  • by Kane on May 5, 2011 at 04:50 AM
    Question is: Are the helmets safe? You can pass any law you want but if the safety equipment is faulty or improperly worn, then this law and the equipment is useless.
  • by Tim on May 5, 2011 at 04:24 AM
    Please... This issue can't be solved by school administrations taking measures of their own? Why does it take the governments involvement to handle this problem? Try training coaching staff on the proper ways to optimize sports safety. Enforce school policies and get the proper medical attention when these events occur. If the schools are going to have teachers as coaches, require proper training for the job.
  • by Anonymous on May 5, 2011 at 03:56 AM
    Oh cry me a river while you save the world from harm.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 121306024 - witn.com/a?a=121306024